Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:54 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Football thread

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho will return to his former club Porto for the group stages of the Champions League.

Chelsea will also face Paris St Germain and CSKA Moscow, while Arsenal have been drawn with Panithanaikos, PSV Eindhoven and Rosenborg.

Manchester United meet Lyon, Sparta Prague and Fenerbahce.

Liverpool will play Deportivo, Monaco and Olympiakos, while Celtic's group includes AC Milan, Barcelona and Shakhtar Donetsk.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/3600392.stm
Lidipool will have troubles.
Groups B and C are tasty, tasty, their very tasty.
Group D who gives a flying.
The Arse should do theirs easy.
Celtic are ****ed.
Group G who cares.
Chelski have some tough ones, including a trip back to Porto.

Last edited by Webbie; Aug 26th 2004 at 2:56 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:33 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ducatiandy
Come on Jambo be serious Yes Larsson was a fantastic player and frankly I am glad to see the back of him in fact I am sure many other scottish team fans will say the same(purely sellfish reasons). Did Man U retire the no7 after cantona or robson who both were better players than Larsson in their era. I don't know of any team to do this.

I would be upset if I was a Celt because of the basic fact they have signed a has been, I am sure the Burgh fans are glad to see the back of the big headed single minded money grabbing twat!
I'll agree to disagree then. I was not glad to see the back of him because he was great for Scottish football. The more players of his calaibre that the SPL can atract is a good thing. I doubt they will get another that can bang in as many goals as he did. Your money grabbing statement could also be argued against. Larsson was offered BIG money to play in the EPL a couple years back but knocked that back to sign another contract at Celtic...he was AGAIN offered contracts in England before moving to Spain because he said Britain was too cold.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 10:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jambo_2004
because he said Britain was too cold.
Cheeky swedish twat. And I suppose that it's cracking the flags in Stockholm during January then?

Last edited by Manc; Aug 26th 2004 at 11:13 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 3:54 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Cheeky swedish twat. And I suppose that it's cracking the flags in Stockholm during January then?
Oh come on. If you had your pick of countries to play in, wouldn't you want to finish your career off in a warm climate? I'm glad to see the back of Larsson. He is/was a good player and I respected the way he came back after that horrific leg break. However, he seemed to have a particular talent for scoring hat-tricks against Aberdeen. I'd love it if he managed to score at Parkhead in the opening game of the Champs league.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: British Football thread

Originally Posted by jambo_2004
I'll agree to disagree then. I was not glad to see the back of him because he was great for Scottish football. The more players of his calaibre that the SPL can atract is a good thing. I doubt they will get another that can bang in as many goals as he did. Your money grabbing statement could also be argued against. Larsson was offered BIG money to play in the EPL a couple years back but knocked that back to sign another contract at Celtic...he was AGAIN offered contracts in England before moving to Spain because he said Britain was too cold.

Don't get me wrong here I loved to hate the guy because he always and I mean always scored against us, what a player he was Celtics answer to McCoist of the late 80's 90's and we all know how much celtic fans hated him at the time.

The money grabbing was actually aimed at Janhinio(spelling pish), is that not what the burgh fans said about him, and yes Larsson was a loyal servent to the celtic cause and not a money grabber after all he only earned 40k per week, not a lot for a man of his calibre, although it is a little more than myself(I wish).

Hope this clears up any misinterpretations.

I had my wee fella at the Hamilton Killie game on Tuesday and I must say that the score line did the Accies no justice they did themselves proud and now Killie are up for sale, what is going on in Football. David Murray is threatening to come back as Rangers Chairman as he is being blamed for the bad spell due to financial problems, blame anything and anyone in the firing line, so football fans will.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

uefa Cup draw:

Graz AK v Litex Lovech
Lazio v Metalurg Donetsk
Bodo/Glimt v Besiktas
SHELBOURNE v Lille
HEARTS v Braga
Austria Vienna v Legia Warsaw
Banska Bystrica v Benfica
Partizan Belgrade v Dinamo Bucharest
Parma v Maribor
Real Zaragoza v Sigma Olomouc
Sporting Lisbon v Rapid Vienna
NEWCASTLE v Hapoel Bnei Sakhnin
Steaua Bucharest v CSKA Sofia
Wisla Krakow v Dinamo Tblisi
Utrecht v Djurgardens
MILLWALL v Ferencvaros
Schalke v Liepajas Metalurgs
Maccabi Haifa v Dnipr Dnipropetrovsk
Terek Grozny v Basel
Odd Grenland v Feyenoord
Aalborg v Auxerre
Sevilla v Nacional Madeira
NK Gorica v AEK Athens
Standard Liege v Bochum
Crvena Zvezda v Zenit St Petersburg
Trabzonspor v Athletic Bilbao
Ujpest v Stuttgart
Maccabi Petach Tikva v Heerenveen
Panionios v Udinese
Levski Sofia v Beveren
Dinamo Zagreb v Elfsborg
Hafnarfjordur v Aachen
MIDDLESBURGH v Banik Ostrava
Club Brugge v Chateauroux
PAOK v AZ Alkmaar
Ventspils v Amica Wronki
Sochaux v Stabaek
Egaleo v Genclerbirligi
RANGERS v Maritimo
Villarreal v Hammarby

First legs to be played on Thursday September 16 with the second legs on Thursday September 30.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
Oh come on.
yes of course you are right, but, I was just being ass sure, but there is a certain ring of truth for which I speak.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 2:33 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ducatiandy
Don't get me wrong here I loved to hate the guy because he always and I mean always scored against us, what a player he was Celtics answer to McCoist of the late 80's 90's and we all know how much celtic fans hated him at the time.

The money grabbing was actually aimed at Janhinio(spelling pish), is that not what the burgh fans said about him, and yes Larsson was a loyal servent to the celtic cause and not a money grabber after all he only earned 40k per week, not a lot for a man of his calibre, although it is a little more than myself(I wish).

Hope this clears up any misinterpretations.
Sorry mate, i'm a bit non observant sometimes. Thanks for the UEFA draw.
Time to check up on who the hell Braga are.
Anyone got info on them?
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Braga are Portuguese I believe.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:31 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Braga are Portuguese I believe.
They have one of those nice new stadiums built for Euro 2004. Don't know what the team is like though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...de/3513245.stm

Last edited by James Box; Aug 27th 2004 at 5:39 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:25 pm

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

News item:
Ferguson excited by Rooney
"Fergie was caught in one of the traps at the training ground spanking himself silly over the thought of Rooney signing for him"
(I may have made that tag line up )

Am I not the only one who thinks this would be a bad move for the pugilistic one ? Not saying that because it is the dirty rags down the East Lancs Road, but because he would not fit into their team or style of play. He'll end up being another (forlorne) Folan and left on the bench.
Or is Fergie using the Chelski tactic - buy all the decent players and then don't play them ?

Another Headline:
Cisse unhurt after police crash
But it wasn't drink driving for a change. Plod were on their way to an emergency and they had a coming together with Cisse's Dodge 4x4 (Is it a Hemi ? )
Don't know what it is about Premiership footballers and expensive cars - you always read about crashing them.

- Something I keep forgetting to mention:

I posted a while back about Chester City and their dodgy chairman (Steven Vaughan). Bit of a shady character - VAT man looking at the clubs books. (Previously led Barrow AFC into liquidation this way.)
Well he seems to be charming them at Chester.
Mark Wright, the manager, walked out the day before the season started. A war of words broke out (as they always do with him) between Vaughan and Wright. In the meantime their caretaker manager who led the team to a drawn 2 lost 3 run and made them the lowest team in all the leagues.
There was talk of Ian Rush taking over as manager and when this got out somebody got hold of his email address and he received over 2000 emails begging him NOT to take the job (some of them were even from Chester fans !) But he ignored all of these warnings and took the job.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...er/3601112.stm

I give him six months.

Last edited by Webbie; Aug 28th 2004 at 4:29 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Webbie

I give him six months.

Rush or Vaughan ?

Seems Dean Holdsworth scored for us today in the 7th minute. 3rd time he has scored in the 7th minute this season. Bizarre.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 5:54 pm

Is it chippy or chippie ? (as in chip shop)
Old Aug 29th 2004, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting posting on a non-league website I visit, ever know bookies to get it wrong ?

how to make £750 become £808.95...
place £294.16 on thurrock to beat dorchester with stan james at 7/4
place £231.13 on dorchester to beat thurrock at 5/2 with bet 365
place £224.71 on thurrock and dorchester to draw at 13/5 with skybet
any result earns a profit of £58.95 for an outlay of £750.

Could you be bothered though ?
Old Aug 30th 2004, 2:16 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2nd

Been away in deepest Oklahoma all weekend and I come back to discover that the Dons are 2nd in the SPhell and are the only team in British footy not to have conceded a goal. I must be dreaming. Tony, what happened to your mob? If they'd won then the huns would've been 4th! It's lucky that haggischomper doesn't seem to be around anymore to gloat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.