Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:54 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England v Ukraine

Originally Posted by jambo_2004
No worries mate. The smiley was for my embarrasment at 2 jambos being at fault for 2 goals tonight. Surprised at Elvis though, usually pretty clear headed during the games. Havent seen the goals though.

Yeah we have our fair share of tits too mate. I remember the days of the Rivals.net boards where you could jump from board to board with the same ID...you'd get pars fans (they were the ****ing worst actually) coming on the hearts board talking pish on a friday before the game...you'd never see them after their tanking on the Saturday though.

I loved rivals.net...then they changed hands and got rid of the Scottish boards for some reason (despite the fact they were absolutly mobbed all the time). They kept the 2 visitors a month English non league south west division upper east conference division 22 southern hemisphere leagues though.
Forgot to watch FSW last night to see if it was on, they repeat the program in 5 minutes time so I'll watch then. Apparently there was minimal contact for the penalty and Elvis had to go for the ball to prevent a goal, it was just bad luck.

It's funny you mention the Pars fans they're presently foaming at the mouth over the 2 Jimmys coming back to Dunfermline this Saturday. Should be a good atmosphere. I used the official AFC website chat room but they've finally shut that down for fear of litigation so I moved to Donstalk. Off to watch TV now.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Football thread

Hearts have officially sold their ground to Cala for flats for 22million squid and will be playing all their footie for the distant future at Murryfield.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:30 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ducatiandy
Hearts have officially sold their ground to Cala for flats for 22million squid and will be playing all their footie for the distant future at Murryfield.
It was coming. Not sure this has sunk in yet, possibly because I am not in the city and going to the place every second saturday anymore....a lot of great memories as a kid and and adult. I ****in hate you chris robinson!
Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

It was coming. Not sure this has sunk in yet, possibly because I am not in the city and going to the place every second saturday anymore....a lot of great memories as a kid and and adult. I ****in hate you chris robinson!
I never went there, but for what it is worth, but I always thought Tynecastle was a neat and tidy stadium. Well pointed and all that.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:46 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Originally Posted by manc1976
I never went there, but for what it is worth, but I always thought Tynecastle was a neat and tidy stadium. Well pointed and all that.
Yep. They recently built 3 brand new stands, new club store etc etc. Only one old stand remained. The problem is there is no room for expansion and the pitch size doesnt meet UEFA standards...that and we have a large amount of debt.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:34 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Maybe we could make the prediction league more interesting by including these games

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...en/3567854.stm

Everton thrash Leeds
By Tony Leighton

The opening weekend of the women's football season was notable for rather more than some exciting match action.

Everton started in emphatic style, hammering Leeds United 8-0, with four of their five close-season signings hitting the net.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: British Football thread

Yep. They recently built 3 brand new stands, new club store etc etc. Only one old stand remained. The problem is there is no room for expansion and the pitch size doesnt meet UEFA standards...that and we have a large amount of debt.

For what it is worth, everyone is going balistic about it and people have been laying flowers outside saying RIP Hearts since 1874? etc, I didn't realise they were such an old club, but hey you may even get a new stadium and then back in debt with the rest of our clubs again.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 12:19 am
"Ted You Big Bollocks"

justboy is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it is worth, everyone is going balistic about it and people have been laying flowers outside saying RIP Hearts since 1874? etc, I didn't realise they were such an old club, but hey you may even get a new stadium and then back in debt with the rest of our clubs again.

I think that this might end up being the start of a Hearts/Hibs ground share. Maybe be not immediately, but within 4 or 5 years. I'm sure both fans would hate the idea, but to secure both club's survivial it would be a good option!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:44 am
"Where are the shovels?"

The new stadium has to be a possibility. We cannot stay at Murrayfield for good. Personally I think we will lose a ton of money as fans drift away because of a lack of atmsophere (15000 people in a 50k seater stadium) and belonging etc. Hearts are looking at sites for a new stadium. Most Hearts fans are all for that option.

A share with Hibernian will never happen. Way too much history and bad blood between the clubs...but I never thought we'd sell our ground. I think Hibs would be more against it than us because they have a ground that can be expanded on.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 7:36 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
Everton started in emphatic style, hammering Leeds United 8-0, with four of their five close-season signings hitting the net.
Not really surprising. Everton have always played like a bunch of tarts.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:11 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Thumbs up Re: British Football thread

Hi my name is dave, i would like any leeds united fans to get in touch living in the Queensland area .

Come On You WHITES !

p.s Who is botherd about Everton ladies ?

Old Aug 20th 2004, 1:54 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

The new stadium has to be a possibility. We cannot stay at Murrayfield for good. Personally I think we will lose a ton of money as fans drift away because of a lack of atmsophere (15000 people in a 50k seater stadium) and belonging etc. Hearts are looking at sites for a new stadium. Most Hearts fans are all for that option.

A share with Hibernian will never happen.
I dunno, who's to say that Hibs aren't going to be in a similar situation in a couple of years? The supporters won't stomach a ground share at Easter Road but a new purpose built stadium for sharing would surely have more appeal.

Unless the council weigh in with some dosh, (and they'd be more likely to do that if there was a new stadium for groundsharing with Hibs) how are Hearts going to be able to finance a new stadium for themselves? All the cash from the Tynecastle sale is going to wipe out the current debt so there'd be nothing for a deposit. I suppose that a brand new facility would open up the possibility for other revenue streams (hotels, conferences).

I hope for Hearts sake that this isn't the beginning of the end, the papers today are full of gloom with Hearts having to stay at Murrayfield 'til 2009 and concerns over the future of players and management. On the bright side Murrayfield is close to Gorgie and if you can get into the UEFA cup group stages that should be quite lucrative.

What do you think of Foulkes? From what I've read he comes across quite well. We talk about famous supporters of teams, do you know of any multimillionaire Hearts fans out there? Foulkes is appealing to Edinburgh businessmen to come forward with an alternative package.
Old Aug 20th 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Hi my name is dave, i would like any leeds united fans to get in touch living in the Queensland area .

Come On You WHITES !

p.s Who is botherd about Everton ladies ?
As long as they go 45 minutes each way, I am happy to deal with them
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Naaah mate, all the others topped themselves after last season
Old Aug 20th 2004, 4:42 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Back online. Having grief the last few days and was blaming the ISP when in fact it was a shitty phone line. I've posted more about it on the Webblog.

FOOTIE PREDICTIONS - 19 out of 23 players have done theirs.
I don't want to become a spammer by constantly sending out reminders for people to do their predictions.
Ah well... if they forget to do them then they lose points.
Plus if they forget them for two weeks in a row I'll delete them from the league.

Will send a reminder now, but I'm not going to do this all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.