British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-food-627867/)

20masonroad Aug 27th 2009 3:13 pm

British Food

I know there is something on here about Brit Food.... I can't find it! :o
I need to get a list for our local Hy-vee here in Olathe Kansas, of British Foods, the manager tells me he will look into getting what ever I list, to sell in the store...
I know all the obvious one's.....Hienz (British?) sausages, walkers crisps and so forth....
Any thoughts.
:D

Englishtart Aug 27th 2009 4:08 pm

Re: British Food

Real bacon
bisto
salad cream
blamonge (sp?)
birds custard
real cream

Juswus Aug 27th 2009 4:14 pm

Pickled onion Monster Munch :thumbsup:

brueyh1976 Aug 27th 2009 4:54 pm

have any of you tried a site called Brits Abroad (http://www.britsabroad.co.uk/)? you might find what you're looking for

20masonroad Aug 27th 2009 5:34 pm

Tried it.....and it's not working! :thumbsup::ohmy:

EnglishTeaDuck Aug 27th 2009 9:15 pm

If anyone is around my way (Massachusetts) there is a great little store in Plymouth which I visited a while ago, which sells, for the size of the store, a really big range of English stuff - I think its called 'British Imports'. They also do DVDS and gifts and stuff. (Yes, my hubby is now blessed with a fridge magnet which says 'Happiness is being married to a Brit'. You know,just in case he forgets...)

They also do things like sausages, cornish pasties, bridies and pork pies, and you can order stuff online.

The woman who owns it is really nice and was from Alton in England, not too far from where I come from (Southampton) - we had a good chat!

Also the only place I have found a Double Decker over here...lol:eek:

Ruth x

Bob Aug 27th 2009 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 7880383)
Pickled onion Monster Munch :thumbsup:

That would be great...and Twiglets...and Scampi Fries....yum :D

Bob Aug 27th 2009 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck (Post 7881318)
If anyone is around my way (Massachusetts) there is a great little store in Plymouth which I visited a while ago, which sells, for the size of the store, a really big range of English stuff - I think its called 'British Imports'. They also do DVDS and gifts and stuff. (Yes, my hubby is now blessed with a fridge magnet which says 'Happiness is being married to a Brit'. You know,just in case he forgets...)

http://www.britishsupplies.com/ That one? Bit out of the way for me...

www.britishdelights.com That's pretty good, I've gotten things there in the past and personally a bit closer.

There's a good one in Peabody too, but parking is a mare and they don't have a website.

EnglishTeaDuck Aug 27th 2009 9:33 pm

Yes, bit out of my way really Bob but we were visiting the 'tourist' place when my parents came over when I found it!

I bought some Scampi fries there...:thumbsup:

Rx

Macca67 Aug 27th 2009 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by 20masonroad (Post 7880155)
I know there is something on here about Brit Food.... I can't find it! :o
I need to get a list for our local Hy-vee here in Olathe Kansas, of British Foods, the manager tells me he will look into getting what ever I list, to sell in the store...
I know all the obvious one's.....Hienz (British?) sausages, walkers crisps and so forth....
Any thoughts.
:D

try amazon.com

chartreuse Aug 28th 2009 1:48 am

Something I've never been able to find is fishcakes. You'd think they'd be everywhere - they're so simple, mash up some fish and potato and cover in breadcrumbs. But, AFAICT, they don't seem to exist in the USA.:(

Bob Aug 28th 2009 2:00 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 7881976)
Something I've never been able to find is fishcakes. You'd think they'd be everywhere - they're so simple, mash up some fish and potato and cover in breadcrumbs. But, AFAICT, they don't seem to exist in the USA.:(

trader joes have 'em...and you can get crab cakes everywhere...

Macca67 Aug 28th 2009 2:03 am

If they're that simple you could always make some you lazy git.;)

chartreuse Aug 28th 2009 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7882004)
trader joes have 'em...and you can get crab cakes everywhere...

Don't have a Trader Joe's near here. And I can't afford crab cakes - do you think I'm made of potatoes? ;)

Originally Posted by Macca67 (Post 7882010)
If they're that simple you could always make some you lazy git.;)

Well, Bob did give me a recipe a few months ago...
But first I need to find a deep fryer that has a basket bigger than a postage stamp.:p

tonrob Aug 28th 2009 10:26 am

Our local supermarket, part of a New England-based chain, has then too - just next to those skinny excuses for fish fingers. Not half bad, mind.