Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Old Mar 31st 2014, 3:57 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Originally Posted by DubaiCat
Thanks for all the replies! Hubby's place of work will be Sugarland and I've been thinking of us living there re commute and bad rds plus congestion.. Also read that Sugarland has a low crime rate compared to other parts of Houston. Would Prefer to live in a gated community as I do at present (not that I need to here, but would feel safer if I did in the States)! All replies are appreciated!
Yes, if I wasn't here in Pearland, Sugarland would be one of my picks, it has a nice established feel and a lovely town center with lots of shops and restaurants. I am sure you will find a nice house down there, check out HAR.com if you haven't already. I am in a gated community (unmanned though) so although yes if someone wanted in they could tailgate a resident it cuts down on traffic significantly, also hardly ever get door to door salespeople etc.

If your hubby works in Sugarland you DO NOT want to live in Houston or his commute will be awful and you will find groups of ladies wherever you are to hang out with. You could be at my house for tea and a hobnob in 30 mins
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that! All kids now at uni back home, so not a problem!
On another note, I love indian cooking... Are there many indian grocery shops there? Spices are so cheap here, but not expecting them to be quite as cheap in Texas somehow!
If you children are of university age, you might need to consider whether on not them living with you needs to be in your plan.

I guess you are looking at a company transfer? so an L visa? If that is the case you will be able to work on an L2 but any children would not be able to work - they will also age out at 21. It might not give a lot of time for getting green cards if that is your plan.

If they are already over 21, they would not be able to be included on your husband's visa.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:54 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Looks like the poll confirms that a significant amount of people feel the same as I do about Houston
Read the thread. It's very enlightening. And the results are indisputable. Houston is officially NOT shit. If you continue along these lines you will just be making a fool of yourself, sir.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suexpat
No I sure wouldn't say Houston is shit. Just out of choice I wouldn't live here.
It's not my favorite city but a lot of people who post here (and live in Houston) have very happy lives. It's fair to say that it's not for everybody and since you live there you certainly can speak to that fact.

Certain other people should just stick to what they know which is actually nothing.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:47 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

hi and

Not sure anyone has pointed you to the guide to Houston yet so here it is.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Houston,_TX

If your husband is working in a Sugarland then it would very sensible to look to live there or the surrounding area. Plenty of amenities, small town center with live concerts etc.

Regarding your questions of Indian Cooking, yes there should be something nearby to you. Or you could travel to the international area where there are plenty of Indian grocery stores.

The gun culture does get some getting used to. It's not something that I feel exposed to on a daily basis though, I certainly wouldn't let it affect by decision about whether to move or not. If you can it helped me a lot to come on a visit. I toured some houses and areas.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:29 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Please lets not turn this into a discussion about gun control, or anything else that is not related to the OP's question. As it isn't helping the OP (who I might add is a new member and probably wondering what they've stumbled into )and we know that any such discussion related to guns is going to go downhill fast. So please stay off gun control in this thread.

Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:43 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I find the last thread extremely scary given I've never visited the States before and makes my decision that much harder! However, all views are deeply appreciated! I need to know the good, bad and ugly!
I forgot to ask, have you actually visited where your employer are proposing to move you to? That would be top on my list of things to do if I were in your situation.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

DubaiCat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Yes of course a wreckie visit is planned for May. I just wanted honest opinions from fellow expats to give a full and rounded opinion as a visit is sometimes not enough. Thanks.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:01 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Yes of course a wreckie visit is planned for May. I just wanted honest opinions from fellow expats to give a full and rounded opinion as a visit is sometimes not enough. Thanks.
I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts when you get back. What kind of salary are they proposing to move you over on out of interest? Given Dubai has stupidly high salaries, and the median wage in Houston is $42k (it's a poor city from what I gather).
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Yes of course a wreckie visit is planned for May. .....
Keep your heads down, Houstonians! .....
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who lived and worked in Dubai for 11 years and moved to the US over 7 years ago, let me give you a few thoughts.
Yes the traffic can be bad during rush hour but at least you will not have an SUV tailgating flashing you out of the way like happens on SZR,
there is no 'aroma' of guys in one piece overalls from the building sites,
you will have to fill up your own car,
everything that's in stock this week will be in stock at the supermarket next week,
the pork is together with the other meat, (the bacon is crap, but the ribs are excellent),
in most cases the person you are speaking in stores you will be able to understand and vica versa,
you don't have to swap the hot and cold taps over in the summer time, almost none of your electrical goods will work on US voltage and frequency and those that do will need you'll need an adapter,
you will be able to hang pictures on the wall without needing a drill,
there isn't as much tiled flooring here,
there isn't hardly any dust,
you will not miss the mosque early morning alarm call to prayer
there are real roads without having to resort to off-roading to get home
the movies are all intact (no censorship) with no subtitles
you will need to sit a driving test (no sweat though)
the paper money is all the same size and colour

I have lived and worked for prolonged periods in Texas and the gun culture you hear about is definitely not in your face, its there but not out in every public place
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

DubaiCat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby's salary is not an issue. I think Pulaski has answered my question somewhat. Kind of gather that a licence is necessary to carry a fire arm and not to be on the person? (well aware that this is not always adhered too!). I just wanted peops honest experience of this issue as having never been to the States it is a very worrying issue for me given I will have 5 children visiting us regularly.
If comments can be constructive whether positive or negative, it would be greatly appreciated
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby's salary is not an issue. I think Pulaski has answered my question somewhat. Kind of gather that a licence is necessary to carry a fire arm and not to be on the person? (well aware that this is not always adhered too!). ....
It is very easy to own a gun in Texas, as it is in most other states, but you need a permit and some rudimentary training to be allowed to carry a loaded one around, "concealed" under your jacket, in your handbag, or in the glove box of your car, or under the seat.

In most states you can "open carry" (strap a holster to the belt of your jeans, like a cowboy in a movie), but that is not legal in Texas.

I think Yorkieabroad who lives in the Houston area (I do not live in Texas) noted recently that he knows/ noticed that lots of parents "carry".
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:28 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people have a concealed handgun license. Lots of people carry guns on their person. Does it affect my day to day life in Houston? No. My moms club had a moms night out to the range. Many of my mom friends have concealed handgun licenses.

Given that Houston is so heavily involved in oil, of course it's polarized. If you are in the industry there are is a very high salary. There are the amenities to support that salary.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weeze
Lots of people have a concealed handgun license. Lots of people carry guns on their person. Does it affect my day to day life in Houston? No. My moms club had a moms night out to the range. Many of my mom friends have concealed handgun licenses.

Given that Houston is so heavily involved in oil, of course it's polarized. If you are in the industry there are is a very high salary. There are the amenities to support that salary.
What amenities are there in Houston to support a high salary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.