Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

DubaiCat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Ok. I'm confused! Concealed hand gun licence? Is this different to a normal licence?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DubaiCat
Ok. I'm confused! Concealed hand gun licence? Is this different to a normal licence?
From what I understand, as I don't live in Texas, you do not need a license to buy and own a gun. Texas is not unique, though in most states you do need some sort of license or permit to buy/ own a gun.

You do need a license to tote a loaded gun around with you, in Texas, and all other states that allow concealed carry, which in theory is now, I think, all 50 states and DC.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2014 at 7:43 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:40 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suexpat
What amenities are there in Houston to support a high salary?
Off the top of my head, luxury shopping, boutique spas and hotels, golf courses, theaters....
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:41 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/chl/
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

Guys! I just want to know the law on gun control in Houston as petrified re the very thought of peops walking around with 'concealed weapons'
Any person in the law or police out there, let me know. Just wanting facts guys p
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:49 pm

Guys! I just want to know the law on gun control in Houston as petrified re the very thought of peops walking around with 'concealed weapons'
Any person in the law or police out there, let me know. Just wanting facts guys p
The link above is to the regulations.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a police question. The ARE many people carrying a gun in their shoulder holster, pocket, or hand bag. By many, I mean hundreds of thousands in Texas alone.

It is probably fewer (proportionally) in NC where I live than in Texas, but still very common. In twelve years I have never seen a non-police officer draw a gun. I just know that people have them, including some of my colleagues. It is not a problem, but if you're a worrier it could gnaw away at your nerves.

ETA: As at Jan 2013 there were 584,000 concealed carry permits in Texas, or 2.2% of the population. The corresponding data in North Carolina is 228,000 ccp's, or 2.3% of the population, so actually a HIGHER proportion than Texas. It still isn't a problem that I spend much time thinking about though.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2014 at 7:59 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

No need to ban anyone! Just asking re the law given worried, and an ex lawyer myself.... Downgraded now to trailing spouse!!!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

mathai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Having visited Houston I can safely inform you that it is an *absolute* shit hole. You are going to be deeply depressed moving to such a deprived area given where you currently reside.

re gun culture, well you're moving to the state where guns can be open carried. I found Texas to be utterly boring when I have visited. Stay where you are is my advice.

I live in sugar land matey, the average cost of houses there are over half a million dollars minimum.
There are shit holes in every city in the UK.
Houston has the best medical center in the world bar none, reasonable cost of living, excellent restaurants multicultural excellent schools.
Lets be a little more objective when passing blanket comments.
Cheers!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies! Hubby's place of work will be Sugarland and I've been thinking of us living there re commute and bad rds plus congestion.. Also read that Sugarland has a low crime rate compared to other parts of Houston. Would Prefer to live in a gated community as I do at present (not that I need to here, but would feel safer if I did in the States)! All replies are appreciated!

I live in sugar land, great place absolutely love it.
House prices rising and probably the highest in Texas. fanstastic schools, multicultural excellent restaurants.
Voted second or third best place to live in teh US.
Can discuss further if you like. Private mesage me.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Leslie
It's not my favorite city but a lot of people who post here (and live in Houston) have very happy lives. It's fair to say that it's not for everybody and since you live there you certainly can speak to that fact.

Certain other people should just stick to what they know which is actually nothing.
Hear Hear! Lot of haters out there!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:18 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathai
Hear Hear! Lot of haters out there!
Haterz gonna hate.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:18 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

I live in sugar land matey, the average cost of houses there are over half a million dollars minimum.
Houston has the best medical center in the world bar none, reasonable cost of living, excellent restaurants multicultural excellent schools.
Cheers!
Half a million dollars? Is that it? That's like 300k sterling.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Cheers!
Disagree on the medical and the restaurants are very expensive and cannot compare to other places, especially the ones in Sugar Land. The OP has no children school age so thats irrelevant.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

Mathai! Thanks for that! New to all of this and not quite sure how to private msg?!!!! Idiot I am!! Just wanted some reassurances etc before I waste company money on a wreckie visit from here in Dubai.. Ur post is really assuring!! It's a very frightening move after 8 yrs here.. And still concerned re the 'gun culture' as it's not for me or our family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.