Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British expat and publicly funded legal services

British expat and publicly funded legal services

Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Seal2012 is on a distinguished road
Default British expat and publicly funded legal services

If a UKC moves to Turkey and then gets married, is that person able to receive public funded legal aid in the UK? They are getting legal counsel regarding the transfer of ownership of a property in the UK, and also the distribution of the proceeds from the house.
Thank you!
(I was unsure where to post this topic)
*I spelled publicly wrong- so embarrassed...
I thought I could correct it in the title... crud

Last edited by Seal2012; Dec 10th 2011 at 6:32 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:39 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat and publicaly funded legal services

Legal Air eligibility calculator

http://legalaidcalculator.justice.go...execution=e1s1

It makes no mention of where you reside, so ask your UK lawyer they would know. If you don't have one call a company that excepts legal aid cases and ask.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 10th 2011 at 9:43 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

She resides in Turkey-lived in England. Just curious if expats were entitled to the services.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seal2012
She resides in Turkey-lived in England. Just curious if expats were entitled to the services.
I'd have thought they would be residence based, to quality for aid in the country of dispute.

Probably easiest for the person in question just to ring up and ask...
Old Dec 11th 2011, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is the US connection?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 4:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Where is the US connection?
The OP is in NY
Old Dec 11th 2011, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: British expat and publicly funded legal services

Hi- yes I am in NY state but the person I was asking about (my fiance's ex-wife) is in Turkey. There is a long story (isn't there always?) but she remains in Turkey- refusing to seek counsel in Turkey or England because she can't make any phone calls to England because they "cost too much" and she can't pay for someone in Turkey. We have suggested using Skype to call- etc. but she won't.

She has been looking into free legal aid in England (emailing solicitors)- and we hope she will get someone so things can start moving. Of course we don't hear much from her- but I was curious if she would be able to find someone since she is a resident of Turkey now. I appreciate your time!

Bob- I would have thought it would be resident based also...

Many thanks!