British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Exams for Kids now in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-exams-kids-now-usa-747889/)

WestendCharlie Feb 8th 2012 10:33 pm

British Exams for Kids now in USA

Hi there
I'm trying to find a school that uses the current British GCSE Modular Exams for a kid who will be in the NOLA area during the summer exam period and who needs to sit three exams for courses he has already started back in GB.
Is there anyone out there who works as a teacher in a school that uses English Exams - its a long shot I know. :fingerscrossed:

Sue Feb 8th 2012 11:31 pm

Re: British Exams for Kids now in USA

Hi and welcome to BE,

Try the British Schools of America, I'm not sure what curriculum they follow, but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

WestendCharlie Feb 9th 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks Sue - British Schools were very helpful though it seems they all do the IGSE, which would mean him starting over again. . . . eek!!:(:(:(

mummymoving Feb 9th 2012 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by WestendCharlie (Post 9891781)
Hi there
I'm trying to find a school that uses the current British GCSE Modular Exams for a kid who will be in the NOLA area during the summer exam period and who needs to sit three exams for courses he has already started back in GB.
Is there anyone out there who works as a teacher in a school that uses English Exams - its a long shot I know. :fingerscrossed:

I knwo you've probably thought about it but my son is also doing GCSE exams (year 11) and we've literally just moved to the US (NY) on tuesday, he's flying back after half term and will be staying with friends until the end of the school year to finish his GCSEs. I know its not ideal but they are important :/ Good luck with your hunt!
Can the British International Schools not house just his exams?

WestendCharlie Feb 10th 2012 2:42 pm

Ultimately flying home is an option - it could be the only way.
The British International Schools can't host any exam for any of the modular courses - the Boards refuse to let them. Seems incredibly silly to me as it will all go back to the same people to mark!!
Thanks for the ideas though, and good luck to your son.

ian-mstm Feb 10th 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by WestendCharlie (Post 9894691)
The British International Schools can't host any exam for any of the modular courses - the Boards refuse to let them. Seems incredibly silly to me as it will all go back to the same people to mark!!

Can you contract with an approved private tutor to proctor the exams? They send the exams to the tutor, who oversees the exam, and who then sends it back for marking (or grading, as they say here).

Ian

WestendCharlie Feb 10th 2012 2:55 pm

Its another option - I've got his UK school hassling the UK boards with this idea. Thanks
Charlie

Sue Feb 10th 2012 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9894710)
Can you contract with an approved private tutor to proctor the exams? They send the exams to the tutor, who oversees the exam, and who then sends it back for marking (or grading, as they say here).

Ian

Yes, that may work.

Not the same thing but I am studying with the University of London, and they send exams to a registered proctor (normally a community college). We all sit the exams on the same day (so there's no chance of cheating). Maybe there is something similar for WestendCharlie son's exams. Certainly worth checking.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 10th 2012 4:24 pm

Time difference could make it interesting. They do the same for many Professional Exams, but for me not in the US.

Alex3110 Feb 11th 2012 1:25 pm

I'm waiting it out here! I have a final K1 interview date 28th feb but my son took his GCSEs last year and my daughter is due to sit her's this June! So I'm just waiting until they're done before immigrating probably in July. After much deliberation I decided to go this route as they can be transcripted for many uses in the states. My son is still going to do one year at High School, at little freaked out that he'll find it hard (despite getting 14 GCSE's!!) but I was told the GCSE grades will contribute to a high school diploma grade or points.

mummymoving Feb 11th 2012 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Alex3110 (Post 9896306)
I'm waiting it out here! I have a final K1 interview date 28th feb but my son took his GCSEs last year and my daughter is due to sit her's this June! So I'm just waiting until they're done before immigrating probably in July. After much deliberation I decided to go this route as they can be transcripted for many uses in the states. My son is still going to do one year at High School, at little freaked out that he'll find it hard (despite getting 14 GCSE's!!) but I was told the GCSE grades will contribute to a high school diploma grade or points.

Really (i mean about GCSEs toward high school diploma]?
I've briefly phoned the education thingy here, and they told me GCSEs might not be counted toward high school diploma (but my son will still have 2 years in High School anyway) I still want him to take GCSEs because he's worked so hard for them and because he'll probably go back to the UK for Uni!

jjmb Feb 11th 2012 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by mummymoving (Post 9896567)
Really (i mean about GCSEs toward high school diploma]?
I've briefly phoned the education thingy here, and they told me GCSEs might not be counted toward high school diploma (but my son will still have 2 years in High School anyway) I still want him to take GCSEs because he's worked so hard for them and because he'll probably go back to the UK for Uni!

They can be transcripted but they probably won't contribute to his grade average, which is how college places are determined over here. My daughter arrived here when she was 15 and at first was placed in freshman classes at High school as she had no US credits to transfer over until she came across a helpful school counselor so she was able to be credited with several classes and start her sophmore year with her peers. She ended up with a high grade average with some dual college credits but due to the non scoring credits she got for her freshman year, there was no way she could get into the top 10% to apply for Texas State University (think she end up in the top 15% but it was long time ago). This rule only applies to TX as college admissions vary from State to State, so it would be worth looking into what requirements are needed for local State Universities (commonly referred to as School, not Elementary, Middle or High School ). Its a minefield and not easy but important, as getting a good job is all about which university you attend over here,however that is another thread for a later date.

If you son is 16, he might consider going to a local community college as when his grades are transcripted if he has enough GCSE, it might well be that they are equivalent to a high school diploma. If he does go to High School, make sure he does the ACT and AP classes which are a higher level than normal high school classes. There might well be other exams they can take these days, so check your choices and again make sure they are excepted at any School he goes to in the end. They are considered college level and as well as boosting your grade average, exempt you from several college classes for University.
I wish I had known more about the schooling over here when we arrived but Kids will survive despite what is thrown at them as long as they have family support.
As for going back to the UK for University, you need to know that once you have left the UK, you will have fight for residency rights even though you are on an immigrant visa. You have to be ordinarily resident for 3 yrs prior to taking up a University place unless you live in Europe. If you keep your house in the UK, you shouldn't have a problem as you have bills to prove residency. However, the lack of A levels might be an issue. Other people on the forum have more experience of this than me, as in the end, none of my kids wanted to return to the UK for university but its worth bearing that in mind.

Sue Feb 11th 2012 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by jjmb (Post 9896613)
You have to be ordinarily resident for 3 yrs prior to taking up a University place unless you live in Europe. If you keep your house in the UK, you shouldn't have a problem as you have bills to prove residency. However, the lack of A levels might be an issue. Other people on the forum have more experience of this than me, as in the end, none of my kids wanted to return to the UK for university but its worth bearing that in mind.

The 3 year residency rule was to be able to qualify for "home" fees, but that isn't as important anymore as the fees are the same.

My son recently started at a UK university. He applied to 5 (and got offered places at 3). None of the UK universities he applied to were interested in his US grades, or even his GPA. All they wanted were certain scores in his SAT's and ACT and/or AP scores (just to add my son didn't take any AP classes at school) and he also had to have obtained his High School diploma (e.g. graduated high school).

Jerseygirl Feb 11th 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9894736)
Yes, that may work.

Not the same thing but I am studying with the University of London, and they send exams to a registered proctor (normally a community college). We all sit the exams on the same day (so there's no chance of cheating). Maybe there is something similar for WestendCharlie son's exams. Certainly worth checking.

Yes my daughter is doing a MBA course through a UK uni...she sits her exams at the University of Toronto.

mummymoving Feb 11th 2012 9:39 pm

Oh okays this is good to know, we're nto sure about schools as my husband and his company have mixed up our relocation package so I don't know 100% if or which of my children gets tuition paid so I don't know if High School is going to be a problem, but I thought it was good to check. Thanks for the advcie!