Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British dishes

British dishes

Old May 9th 2013, 2:29 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British dishes

Originally Posted by rallybug
Made a turkey broccoli bake out of the Dairy Book of Home Cookery that I brought with me - that cookbook has been used by Mum since it first came out in '68, I think Plenty of other British recipes in there that we shall be trying
Oooooh, cookbooks. My husband bought me seven cookbooks as a wedding present, and they were a welcome gift. They're all British and Irish cookbooks from people like Gordon Ramsay and Darina Allen and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. The Gordon Ramsay one is his Ultimate Cooking Course, which was unobtainable in the US when we were married. A digital kitchen scale is my best friend.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:01 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever we get a hankering for something I give it a bash.

Rowies
Proper Fish n Chips, when I can get good chunky cod - not thin tasteless tilapia!
Mince, Tatties, Skirly & Doughballs
Scones - round and tall not wee hard triangle wedges
Strawberry Tarts - just last week
Sausage Rolls
Pavlova, actually any cake made with cream as opposed to 'frosting made with shortening bleurch'
Chicken Liver Pate

Would love a good BIR curry recipe, haven't mastered that one yet. Would have to be girly Korma heat-wise though
Old May 9th 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Oooooh, cookbooks. My husband bought me seven cookbooks as a wedding present, and they were a welcome gift. They're all British and Irish cookbooks from people like Gordon Ramsay and Darina Allen and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. The Gordon Ramsay one is his Ultimate Cooking Course, which was unobtainable in the US when we were married. A digital kitchen scale is my best friend.
Ah, Hugh Double-Barrelled - River Cottage etc were good shows.

One of our wedding gifts when I arrived in the US was the Joseph Joseph electronic scale - measures dry and liquids I have a Jamie Oliver cookbook (who doesn't? ) but the one I do miss is Mary Berry's chocolate recipes

Of course, cooking at just over 4000 feet is a bit of a challenge, working out how to adjust the recipe, cooking time and/or temperature.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:12 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

A digital kitchen scale is my best friend.
A US acquaintance was gobsmacked when he discovered that scales were a standard piece of kit in UK kitchens "What, you all have little scales in your kitchens?".....

Weight is so much more accurate for non liquid ingredients. How packed is a "packed cup of sugar" and what the he** is a stick of butter when it is at home?
Old May 9th 2013, 4:25 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
A US acquaintance was gobsmacked when he discovered that scales were a standard piece of kit in UK kitchens "What, you all have little scales in your kitchens?".....

Weight is so much more accurate for non liquid ingredients. How packed is a "packed cup of sugar" and what the he** is a stick of butter when it is at home?
Even worse, how much does a cup of oatmeal weigh? How many grams of butter are in a tablespoon? Where in the name of Cthulhu can I get caster sugar over here?

I make do. My stuff comes out looking like the pictures in the cookbook, and tasting good, so I suppose I guess right most of the time...
Old May 9th 2013, 4:47 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Even worse, how much does a cup of oatmeal weigh? How many grams of butter are in a tablespoon? Where in the name of Cthulhu can I get caster sugar over here?

I make do. My stuff comes out looking like the pictures in the cookbook, and tasting good, so I suppose I guess right most of the time...
All issues I will be having to deal with in due course. My kitchen scales will be one of the things that have to come with us, oh, and a pack of proper pint glasses.
Old May 9th 2013, 4:47 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

You will be looking for 'superfine' sugar, it should be beside the regular sugar in the supermarket.
Old May 9th 2013, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I had a go at Hot Cross Buns at Easter this year, unfortunately all three batches were disastrous (recipes from Delia, BBC and my bread making cook book). The least inedible lot were more like rock cakes.

Still, it cured my craving, I've gone right off them now.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Britmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really niceBritmom3 is just really nice

Yorkshire pudding is my youngest favorite with bistro gravy too. Never could make the bloody things rise back home but I found a great recipe on BBC best food and never had a problem making them since . Always make sure I have a good stock of bistro gravy granules in too x
Old May 9th 2013, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Originally Posted by GeoffM
Traditional British Indian curries.
Read that back to yourself out loud!
It was meant as tongue-in-cheek, but there is some basis in fact. Firstly, tikka massala is said* to have been created in the UK, so could reasonably be called a British Indian dish; secondly the most popular take-away in the UK is an Indian. So there !

* though debatable

Last edited by GeoffM; May 9th 2013 at 7:41 pm. Reason: Quotes
Old May 9th 2013, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Pancakes. The thin ones, not the stodgy US ones.

With sugar & lemon
Old May 9th 2013, 8:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Traditional British Indian curries.
Old May 9th 2013, 10:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and chips....I used to just go to the chippy.

Toad in the hole....could never be bothered before. Sausages, been getting them from Wegmans, good and cheap too.

Make plenty of others, but wouldn't say any more than when living in the UK.
Old May 9th 2013, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq

Butter comes in a stick, measured, so isn't a problem.

Scales, well around here, where I am, it's only druggies or people who spin yarn that seem to have them
Old May 10th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

It was meant as tongue-in-cheek, but there is some basis in fact. Firstly, tikka massala is said* to have been created in the UK, so could reasonably be called a British Indian dish; secondly the most popular take-away in the UK is an Indian. So there !

* though debatable
My comment as intended tongue-in-cheek too - the wording just struck me as funny.

No need to tell me about Indian food. It's my fave. In fact, dinner last night was a chicken tikka massala with basmati rice and a garlic naan (thank you Trader Joe!!!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.