Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British by descent; How can my adult child apply?

British by descent; How can my adult child apply?

Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

showardcooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British by descent; How can my adult child apply?

Hi all;
Have been checking the forums but not found the answer to my particular situation. I am British by descent and have lived most of my life in the US. I am planning on making the move soon (GO HAMMERS!) and it seems that my wife of over thirty years is OK but I am not sure about my children, aged 15 and 22. I realize that the children are not UK citizens automatically but can't seem to find the procedure to make them so. Any advice or directions to the right source would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance;
Stephan Howard-Cooper
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British by descent; How can my adult child apply?

It's too late for the 22 year old, who will need to pursue the "ancestry visa" route.

Not sure about the 15 year old.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

showardcooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
It's too late for the 22 year old, who will need to pursue the "ancestry visa" route.

Not sure about the 15 year old.
Thanks for the reply. I thought that the ancestry visa route was only for those living in Common wealth countries, not the US, but will be VERY happy if it turns out that those from the US can apply as well.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:11 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

There's information here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ritishcitizen/

If you've spent any time living in the UK (at least 3 years I believe) read this also: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

I've been looking at this recently for my son. It seems you have to show quite substantial ties to the UK in order to be able to get them citizenship and it appears it needs to be done beofre they're 18. I'm afraid I haven't looked at the options for someone that's over 18...

Last edited by Bink; Apr 16th 2012 at 6:22 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by showardcooper
Thanks for the reply. I thought that the ancestry visa route was only for those living in Common wealth countries, not the US, but will be VERY happy if it turns out that those from the US can apply as well.

Thanks again!
Ahh yes, I forgot about that little quirk. Sorry, not sure what the 22 year old can do.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Ahh yes, I forgot about that little quirk. Sorry, not sure what the 22 year old can do.
Study in the UK or pursue any of the other visa options by the look of things?

Good luck to the OP though!