Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Democracy?

British Democracy?

Old May 6th 2005, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Democracy?

With regards to the expat vote...

While I completely appreciate that a lot of you want to maintain your vote in the UK, I did not vote and feel that I SHOULD not vote in the UK elections.

I would not like to think that people in another country were affecting the way that I lived. In the same way, I do not like the idea that other people should have to live with my political preferences even though I, personally, do not have to live with the consequences of my vote.

Whether I have an active role in politics or not I still have a view point on politics and still feel I have a right to express that opinion.
Old May 6th 2005, 7:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
With regards to the expat vote...

While I completely appreciate that a lot of you want to maintain your vote in the UK, I did not vote and feel that I SHOULD not vote in the UK elections.

I would not like to think that people in another country were affecting the way that I lived. In the same way, I do not like the idea that other people should have to live with my political preferences even though I, personally, do not have to live with the consequences of my vote.

Whether I have an active role in politics or not I still have a view point on politics and still feel I have a right to express that opinion.
I could accept that to an extent, if as a taxpayer in the USA I were allowed to vote here as a permanent resident.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I just read that too.
some of their comments made me laugh too
Well obviously I had to have a read too. I agree with them, I predict that now that Labour are in again every single Brit will leave the UK...god it will cost a fortune to change the language on all the traffic signs.
Old May 6th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Their is a lot of talk about whether Britain is truly a Democratic country and how a government elected by only 25% of the eligible voters can have a majority.

What do people on here think about the state of affairs in British politics at this time?
Should proportional representation be looked at as an option?
Does the old system need a complete over-haul?

My own feeling on the matter is that being a Democracy includes the right to NOT vote! It is a persons right to decide whether to vote with the left, right, centre or none of the above.

The fact that only 60% of the voting population turned out is irrelevant, the fact that, based on those 60% of votes, the majority of seats was won by Labour is what counts.

Just my opinion.
not being a political expert of any kind but you say proportional representation in a way this already occurs because all the MP's gain a seat and if Tony wants anything approved he has to have a majority and with the results as they were a small 44 MP's disagreeing with his point of view would cause problems in it being passed before the recent election it had to be 84 which was over half of the MP's that were not labour.

I agree in a way that you have a right to not vote but when petrol prices are high or your tax's go up then you have no right to complain about the government or the price in general because you are obviously not interested in politics.

In Australia they make you vote and if you do not you can get fined and even possibly a custodial sentence (definately former not sure about latter) and you get a week to vote as well. At least this way everybody's opinion is counted.