Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Democracy?

British Democracy?

Old May 6th 2005, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Democracy?

Their is a lot of talk about whether Britain is truly a Democratic country and how a government elected by only 25% of the eligible voters can have a majority.

What do people on here think about the state of affairs in British politics at this time?
Should proportional representation be looked at as an option?
Does the old system need a complete over-haul?

My own feeling on the matter is that being a Democracy includes the right to NOT vote! It is a persons right to decide whether to vote with the left, right, centre or none of the above.

The fact that only 60% of the voting population turned out is irrelevant, the fact that, based on those 60% of votes, the majority of seats was won by Labour is what counts.

Just my opinion.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:13 pm
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British Democracy?

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Their is a lot of talk about whether Britain is truly a Democratic country and how a government elected by only 25% of the eligible voters can have a majority.

What do people on here think about the state of affairs in British politics at this time?

My own feeling on the matter is that being a Democracy includes the right to NOT vote! It is a persons right to decide whether to vote with the left, right, centre or none of the above.

The fact that only 60% of the voting population turned out is irrelevant, the fact that, based on those 60% of votes, the majority of seats was won by Labour is what counts.

Just my opinion.

Agreed....
Old May 6th 2005, 5:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion.
It's a first past the post system.
Just look at this place, if the popular vote meant anything, Bush wouldn't have won a first term.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Either way, people that don't vote don't have the right to complain about it...at least there is more than two parties to chose from...
only two over here, Nader was a bigger joke than the UKIP, Greens etc...
Old May 6th 2005, 5:29 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion.
took awhile btw

but Ribble South was a Labour hold.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I noticed this morning... I told you we were no good at counting.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Don't blame me I didn't vote for him, in fact I'm not ashamed to say I didn't vote at all.

I can't believe anyone would think that yesterday's result would have been any different, I mean there is NO credible opposition.
Old May 6th 2005, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Either way, people that don't vote don't have the right to complain about it...at least there is more than two parties to chose from...
only two over here, Nader was a bigger joke than the UKIP, Greens etc...
i disagree,i have every right to not vote,its a democracy we live in ,is it not?,i dont go to a restuarant,find nothing i like on the menu and still stay to eat.voting is a total waste of time and politicians are a complete waste of money
Old May 6th 2005, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chukka
i disagree,i have every right to not vote,its a democracy we live in ,is it not?,i dont go to a restuarant,find nothing i like on the menu and still stay to eat.voting is a total waste of time and politicians are a complete waste of money
Least you had the choice not to vote, bastards never sent out voting forms to a few of us over here.
Old May 6th 2005, 6:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chukka
That's your right not to vote, and you chose it, can't then go complain about the state of politcs afterwards though...
Old May 6th 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
That's your right not to vote, and you chose it, can't then go complain about the state of politcs afterwards though...
cos i acn,they didnt put forward decent policies,besides,im famous for moaning about EVERYTHING,i love democracy,hehe
Old May 6th 2005, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

I'd have liked to vote, but I didn't have another ex-pat available to sign the damned form on my behalf, as required. Anyway I'd have voted Labour in spite of Iraq etc. my vote would not have changed anything.

I've just read a few posts on the Canada forum commenting on the election and was quite shocked at some of the comments there about the UK. I know there are problems in some areas, but dammit I'd swap places with someone in the UK tomorrow if my husband would come along.

Regarding electoral systems - I think both the UK and USA systems leave a lot to be desired, but have you ever thought how difficult it would be to invent something which would be truly fair and just ? Probably easier in the UK than here in this vast place I suppose.
Old May 6th 2005, 6:34 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Just my opinion.

Agreed. I can't help but query what would happen under proportional representation - how would anything ever get achieved if you don't have a controlling party as we have now. I'm sure there are probably ways around it but until someone comes up with something that's workable then the current system doesn't do too badly. It still seems better than the US system in some ways.
Old May 6th 2005, 6:58 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I've just read a few posts on the Canada forum commenting on the election and was quite shocked at some of the comments there about the UK. I know there are problems in some areas, but dammit I'd swap places with someone in the UK tomorrow if my husband would come along.
I just read that too.
some of their comments made me laugh too
Old May 6th 2005, 7:17 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
took awhile btw

but Ribble South was a Labour hold.
Ribble Valley still Con.
Posh folk round there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.