British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Day at work! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-day-work-712267/)

clarissageo Apr 5th 2011 11:15 pm

British Day at work!

Soooo, because i'm a cool chick, and all my workmates love and adore me, They've suggested that for The Royal Wedding on April 29th, we have a 'British Day' at work!

They are going to put the event on the big screen TV, and want to string up flags etc etc..... but they also want to have a full 'British food lunch'.... and bugger me, I'm stuck!

They are all asking me what they should bring! And I can't think for one minute what to suggest.... really needs to be 'finger food', and we only have a little toaster oven (that only just made it off the ark) and a microwave.....

Suggestions on a postcard please!!

avanutria Apr 5th 2011 11:27 pm

Re: British Day at work!

Scotch eggs? Pork pies? Mince pies? I'm having trouble combining the "finger food" aspect with "things you can obtain easily in America", hehe.

Homemade Jammy Dodgers?

Bangers and mash, but the 'bangers' are cocktail weenies on toothpicks?

Manc Apr 5th 2011 11:30 pm

get absolutely shitfaced.

a 6 pack of beer is binge drinking my arsehole.

zargof Apr 5th 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by clarissageo (Post 9287883)
Soooo, because i'm a cool chick, and all my workmates love and adore me, They've suggested that for The Royal Wedding on April 29th, we have a 'British Day' at work!

They are going to put the event on the big screen TV, and want to string up flags etc etc..... but they also want to have a full 'British food lunch'.... and bugger me, I'm stuck!

They are all asking me what they should bring! And I can't think for one minute what to suggest.... really needs to be 'finger food', and we only have a little toaster oven (that only just made it off the ark) and a microwave.....

Suggestions on a postcard please!!

Vol-a-vents.
Cheese and pineapple on sticks
Cocktail sausages/mini sausage rolls
Scotch eggs
Trifle
Jelly and ice cream
Lots of alcohol (say it's an old law that everyone has to have a drink when a member of the royal family gets married - they'll never know)

ChocolateBabz Apr 5th 2011 11:40 pm

Scones with Jam (none of your jelly nonsense) and cream - ok so you won't get decent clotted cream but whip up 2 cups of heavy cream till stiff peaks (arf arf) form, add 4 tbsp birds custard powder and 1/2 cup powdered sugar and combine well and they will taste (almost) as good.

Coronation Chicken (see my delish recipe in the recipe thread in the lounge).

Cucumber Sandwiches.

Potted crab is easy and I have a quick and easy recipe for that too if you want it - just serve with crackers.

robin1234 Apr 5th 2011 11:43 pm

I think you can make clotted cream pretty easily - many recipes available on the web.

robin1234 Apr 5th 2011 11:46 pm

Sausage rolls

pTeronaut Apr 5th 2011 11:51 pm

Ask them to drive a little north to Hamilton, and see what they can find in the British Section of Meijer's World Foods aisle.

Or better still, take a trip to Jungle Jims in Fairfield.

ChocolateBabz Apr 5th 2011 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9287932)
I think you can make clotted cream pretty easily - many recipes available on the web.

Yeah but who can be bothered waiting 12 hours :p

clarissageo Apr 5th 2011 11:58 pm

I was having the same problem.... what can I find over here to turn British!

I thought about going up to Jungle Jims and throwing a couple of cans of mushy pea's in the microwave and telling them all to have at it.... and just watching the reaction!

Much as I would love to get them all shitfaced, a drunk pediatric dentist may raise a few eyebrows.... although I'm probably going to make a sherry-less trifle and tell them its alcoholic!! :D

Manc Apr 5th 2011 11:59 pm

black pudding.

Dogbyte Apr 6th 2011 12:16 am

Bacon and Egg butties on mini barmcakes.(not forgetting the brown HP sauce):thumbup:

ChocolateBabz Apr 6th 2011 12:20 am

How about marmite on toast - that'll teach em.

clarissageo Apr 6th 2011 12:23 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 9287959)
How about marmite on toast - that'll teach em.

Lmao..... Even I don't eat that, but oh the fun I would have!

tonrob Apr 6th 2011 12:43 am

Onion bhajis
Samosas
Sprouts on sticks
36 pint half-barrel of London Pride (well it is lunchtime...)