Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Dad expat in US needs minor surgery - no insurance. Options?

British Dad expat in US needs minor surgery - no insurance. Options?

Old Jul 18th 2006, 3:11 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Dad expat in US needs minor surgery - no insurance. Options?

Originally Posted by JackieP
Good question and good to know that. But no, he was in the merchant marine in WWII. Not sure if that counts - and probably he has no records so it might be hard to check up on.
Thanks
Jackie
Don't know if it will help in getting cheaper surgery, but you could try and get a copy of his service from here if you're interested.

Anyone else interested in getting details of UK military service can do so here
Last year I got copies of my dad's complete WWII army service records, including his sign up for the Territorial Army in 1938 age 16. Pretty cool to see.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Dad expat in US needs minor surgery - no insurance. Options?

I am not so sure that even Medicare would be the answer, just wondering what the premiums would be.

You just need to be resident in the UK, which is more or less a state of mind, so he could go back assuming he has somewhere to stay, get treatment, might be a long wait, and then take re-consider whether he wishes to stay in the UK or come back to the US. I guess is it was more than 6 months you would not want to do it.

http://www.healthgrades.com/ might be worth a look. From what I have seen US Hospitals 'book' rate is about 3x the rate they usually get, so I would be looking to negotiate.

My parents are in their early the 80's. There is NO way they could move here.

Not sure we can!