British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British culture in LA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-culture-la-332957/)

snoble Oct 22nd 2005 8:08 am

British culture in LA?

I've just moved into West Hollywood about three months ago and I've been trying to find where the British culture is. Where I live seems to be very heavily Russian, but I've noticed I'm actually not far from several British style pubs, such as The Pig & Whistle on Sunset. And I've noticed a few English accents down at my local Trader Joe's, so I guess I really can't be too far away!

Bob Oct 22nd 2005 4:54 pm

Re: British culture in LA?

you'll find 'em...there's a few on this forum in and around LA....

Lord Lionheart Oct 22nd 2005 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by snoble
I've just moved into West Hollywood about three months ago and I've been trying to find where the British culture is. Where I live seems to be very heavily Russian, but I've noticed I'm actually not far from several British style pubs, such as The Pig & Whistle on Sunset. And I've noticed a few English accents down at my local Trader Joe's, so I guess I really can't be too far away!

Santa Monica - Lots of pubs, imports stores and even a local bakery.
Take the 10 West to Santa Monica.
PM me if you want more details. :)

antjen Oct 23rd 2005 6:43 am

in santa monica there is 'ye olde kings head' which is an british themed pub with good food, also they have a small food shop next door.

Anthony

USBound Oct 23rd 2005 8:16 am

Originally Posted by antjen
in santa monica there is 'ye olde kings head' which is an british themed pub with good food, also they have a small food shop next door.

Anthony

Theres an Indian shop on Sherman Way/Topanga Canyon over in Woodland hills that sells lots of english stuff... including Pataks..

Theres also a little english shop called "Fancy that" on Ventura Blvs near Winetka (not sure on exact address).

the kings head has some good eatin I can tell ya.... tho the mushy peas almost made my american fiance puke :-P

thing1 Oct 23rd 2005 2:48 pm

*gasp* :eek:

You mean the Wee Britain (the British section of Orange County) I saw on Arrested Development isn't real??? I'm crushed. :( It looked like such a loverly place. I even thought I would one day go to Fat Ammy's, the one American styled restaurant in Wee Britain. :D

woodsey Oct 23rd 2005 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by antjen

Anthony

did you go to Matt Denny's?

snoble Oct 24th 2005 3:46 pm

Ahh, excellent - a few good (and reasonably priced) British shops are just what I need. I'm tired of waiting till I go back to visit just to get a new jar of Marmite.

Is British culture particularly close-knit over here? I've noticed many cultural minorities tend to be. I wouldn't really expect the same from Brits too much, seeing as we aren't a million miles away from Americans really. But it would be great to have a few friends who didn't always talk basketball or other stuff that just whizzes over my head... :D

Dant3 Oct 24th 2005 8:19 pm

There's supposed to be some crazy and quite unbelievable number of Brits in L.A. From what I can make out, the vast majority of them are, just like you, holed up in Santa Monica or similarly bourgeois westside neighbourhoods. Personally, I've lived here for over two years and have yet to meet a single British person who wasn't on holiday.

Lord Lionheart Oct 24th 2005 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dant3
There's supposed to be some crazy and quite unbelievable number of Brits in L.A. From what I can make out, the vast majority of them are, just like you, holed up in Santa Monica or similarly bourgeois westside neighbourhoods. Personally, I've lived here for over two years and have yet to meet a single British person who wasn't on holiday.

Not sure what your point is? Where in LA are you?

AmerLisa Oct 24th 2005 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart

So did you make it to Florida or not?

Lord Lionheart Oct 24th 2005 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
So did you make it to Florida or not?

No :o

Dant3 Oct 24th 2005 11:51 pm

My point is simply that for all the talk of Los Angeles being chock full of British expats, unless you live in a handful of very select neighbourhoods, you'll never see any of them.

AmerLisa Oct 24th 2005 11:51 pm

No :o

Why not??

AmerLisa Oct 24th 2005 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dant3
My point is simply that for all the talk of Los Angeles being chock full of British expats, unless you live in a handful of very select neighbourhoods, you'll never see any of them.

Is there a watering hole they congregate at?