Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British communities - why don't they exist in the US?

British communities - why don't they exist in the US?

Old May 7th 2008, 1:01 am
Just Joined

welshyank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British communities - why don't they exist in the US?

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to this site and am quite glad I've found it! I was just wondering why there are no British communities in the US? I'm a student at the University of Arizona and have a lot of Indian friends who all seem to know each other/each other's families, and even get together for large, formal events such as weddings. It seems that Indians - and other peoples (think China Town) - seem to retain their culture/group identity, whereas Brits in the US do not have this. Is it because there are not enough Britis located in a common area? Is it because the Brits and Americans are similar and it is easier for Brits to assimilate into the "white" culture of the US? Is it because Brits do not have a homogenous culture and would not be as friendly toward each other in the UK, let alone the US? Anyway, just thought I'd start a conversation and sort of introduce myself instead of revise for exams!

Cheers!
Old May 7th 2008, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British communities - why don't they exist in the US?

Welcome to BE. You've posed some interesting questions. When I came to the US I made a conscious decision to immerse myself and my family into the US way of life and not to try and set myself up as a Brit in the US. Having kids in school helped with this and we have a wide mixture of Brit/European/US friends. I enjoy a good chat with my fellow country men once in a while...especially when I need to whinge about Yanks or the lack of decent sausages. Having many friends from many different cultures/backgrounds has hopefully made my kids more rounded...only time will tell.
Better go now so you can get back to your studies !
Old May 7th 2008, 1:23 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Welcome to BE. You've posed some interesting questions. When I came to the US I made a conscious decision to immerse myself and my family into the US way of life and not to try and set myself up as a Brit in the US. Having kids in school helped with this and we have a wide mixture of Brit/European/US friends. I enjoy a good chat with my fellow country men once in a while...especially when I need to whinge about Yanks or the lack of decent sausages. Having many friends from many different cultures/backgrounds has hopefully made my kids more rounded...only time
wot she said!
Old May 7th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you know much about Indian or Chinese people if you think they have a more homogenous culture and would be as friendly to each other in their home countries. I'd say the Brits are far more like that than the Indians or the Chinese.
There are Brit communities here but you're not likely to bump into any of them at school/work as they are mostly retired. I think it's also down to the American culture being a lot more similiar to the British culture than it is to the Indian or Chinese cultures. Language, food, customs - we can blend in very easily without really having to make any compromises.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

There are a couple of British shops around here which smell suitably damp and I go to some informal British gatherings.

Big extended family weddings are not such a cultural phenomenon for the British.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:04 am
Just Joined

welshyank is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the fact that they all live in a foreign country spurs their desire to continue/appreciate their culture more, which is not unlike what everyone is doing on these boards, no? I've always wondered why there isn't really a British cultural movement in the US like there is for other cultures, such as the Irish and the Italians. Apparently, everyone in the US is Irish or Italian...
Old May 7th 2008, 2:32 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshyank
I think the fact that they all live in a foreign country spurs their desire to continue/appreciate their culture more, which is not unlike what everyone is doing on these boards, no? I've always wondered why there isn't really a British cultural movement in the US like there is for other cultures, such as the Irish and the Italians. Apparently, everyone in the US is Irish or Italian...
You Brits need a hook. The Irish have St. Patricks, the Italians have food... Face it, baked beans without stuff in 'em, mushy peas and various things made of congealed blood don't exactly have what you call curb appeal.

I think Fish and Chips with decent beer is your best bet. Maybe served by topless waitresses?
Old May 7th 2008, 2:51 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

America be afraid! There are Brits living amongst you, posing as Yanks, blending in and going unnoticed.....only drawing attention to themselves when lurking in the ethnic food aisle of the grocery store reaching for the Heinz Baked Beans!
Old May 7th 2008, 3:02 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
America be afraid! There are Brits living amongst you, posing as Yanks, blending in and going unnoticed.....only drawing attention to themselves when lurking in the ethnic food aisle of the grocery store reaching for the Heinz Baked Beans!

No person born and raised in the UK could ever pass for a Yank. We have Brit detecting machines.... They are top secret but I have obtained a photo..
Old May 7th 2008, 3:21 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

No person born and raised in the UK could ever pass for a Yank. We have Brit detecting machines.... They are top secret but I have obtained a photo..
http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/...ve.thru.ap.jpg
Clever invention!

I stick out like a sore thumb right now - my pale British skin is all pink and blotchy after too much sun this afternoon....ouch!
Old May 7th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You Brits need a hook. The Irish have St. Patricks, the Italians have food... Face it, baked beans without stuff in 'em, mushy peas and various things made of congealed blood don't exactly have what you call curb appeal.

I think Fish and Chips with decent beer is your best bet. Maybe served by topless waitresses?
Sometimes, I find your comments, very insulting.
And whats the great American invention, Hot dogs, Sloppy Joes, huge amounts of mayo, ketchup, shredded lettuce. I wonder why they shred it, maybe to hide the fact, its past its best. Sorry, I know its processed American cheese, now theres a mystery.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:58 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by frrussre
Sometimes, I find your comments, very insulting.
And whats the great American invention, Hot dogs, Sloppy Joes, huge amounts of mayo, ketchup, shredded lettuce. I wonder why they shred it, maybe to hide the fact, its past its best. Sorry, I know its processed American cheese, now theres a mystery.
Lighten up. I meant it (mostly) as humor. Although I really don't think those things would market well in the States.
Old May 7th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Hello
Big extended family weddings are not such a cultural phenomenon for the British.
No because we are too cheap to be constantly buying wedding gifts
Old May 7th 2008, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Sorry, I know its processed American cheese, now theres a mystery.
Velveeta
Old May 7th 2008, 5:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshyank
Those of us who descend from English ancestors don't have a community in the sense that n-th generation immigrants from other countries do. 'Round here, you have 5th generation-born-in-the-US folks celebrating their Polish, Czech, German, Irish and Mexican heritage.... but never English. This was a bitch when it came to "dress in your ancestral costume" days at school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.