British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   british Comedy show (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-comedy-show-287939/)

rogerpenycate Mar 4th 2005 5:03 pm

british Comedy show

For anyone living in the DC area and doesn't have access too, or have BBC America and is starved of English comedy (unless you like those awful Keeping up Appearances type sticoms or re-runs of Are You Being Served)
There's a 2 hour programme on MPT (Maryland Public Television) at 8pm tomorrow (Sat) of British comedy, introduced by Lennie Henry.
I'm not sure but it may be networked and be on all public TV channels.

NC Penguin Mar 4th 2005 5:18 pm

Re: british Comedy show

Originally Posted by rogerpenycate
For anyone living in the DC area and doesn't have access too, or have BBC America and is starved of English comedy (unless you like those awful Keeping up Appearances type sticoms or re-runs of Are You Being Served)
There's a 2 hour programme on MPT (Maryland Public Television) at 8pm tomorrow (Sat) of British comedy, introduced by Lennie Henry.
I'm not sure but it may be networked and be on all public TV channels.

Is it one of the "Funny Men/Women of British Comedy" shows? Whatever it is, I think it's part of my public TV station's current fund drive...

NC Penguin

rogerpenycate Mar 4th 2005 5:26 pm

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]Is it one of the "Funny Men/Women of British Comedy" shows? Whatever it is, I think it's part of my public TV station's current fund drive...

Not sure, I just saw an advert for it last night with Lenny Henry. Showed clips from Fawlty Towers, Blackadder etc

AmerLisa Mar 4th 2005 5:38 pm

Hmmm...I'll check it out.

Bob Mar 4th 2005 5:47 pm

might be worth checking out..everything at the mo are repeats anyway...

AlisonPA Mar 4th 2005 5:51 pm

Oh great, I can get that but bet my husband doesn't think it's funny :rolleyes:

AdobePinon Mar 5th 2005 3:03 am

They've been advertising it here too (KNME Albuquerque), although I forget when they're showing it.

Ah, Sat March 5.

Russ&Jayne Mar 6th 2005 5:05 pm

They only showed clips from programmes that they broadcast over here. Lenny's script was shite. It was all shite :(

Just Jenney Mar 6th 2005 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Is it one of the "Funny Men/Women of British Comedy" shows? Whatever it is, I think it's part of my public TV station's current fund drive...

NC Penguin

We watched some of it last night.... I was trying to get Mark to call in his $150 donation so we could get that really cool "Funny Blokes of British Comedy" coffee mug but for some reason he wouldn't go for it...

~ Jenney

Just Jenney Mar 6th 2005 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
They only showed clips from programmes that they broadcast over here.

Of course they're only going to show clips from programs they broadcast here -- it's to promote PBS and the donation campaign. No point in showing clips of programs that viewers won't actually be able to watch!

~ Jenney

NC Penguin Mar 7th 2005 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
We watched some of it last night.... I was trying to get Mark to call in his $150 donation so we could get that really cool "Funny Blokes of British Comedy" coffee mug but for some reason he wouldn't go for it...

~ Jenney

Your local PBS station wanted a donation of $150 for that mug? Ours, UNC-TV, was offerering the Funny Ladies of British Comedy mug last year for a $50 donation. My spouse stumped up that money for the mug...

Nc Penguin

AlisonPA Mar 7th 2005 2:54 pm

Totally agree with the comment - it was shite. Watched about 20 minutes of it and I was so embarrassed!

rogerpenycate Mar 7th 2005 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
Totally agree with the comment - it was shite. Watched about 20 minutes of it and I was so embarrassed!

Seemed to me like a big ego trip for Lenny Henry.