Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:21 pm
  #16  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,056
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Originally Posted by JStevo1 View Post
Hi All

Just came across this thread as l was doing some research into moving to the states. I'm in the process of completing a doctorate in counselling psychology and wandered how successful people have been in getting licensed in the USA with a UK psychology doctorate. Were your qualifications recognized as being equivalent as US doctorates and did you have to do any additional training/practice?
Do you have any expectations of being able to get a visa?
Pulaski is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:06 pm
  #17  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
JStevo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Do you have any expectations of being able to get a visa?
I've been offered a job so will be pursuing a Greencard. I lived in the US for a number of years before moving back to the UK to do my doctorate so have a number of contacts.
JStevo1 is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:33 pm
  #18  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 57,885
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Originally Posted by JStevo1 View Post
I've been offered a job so will be pursuing a Greencard. I lived in the US for a number of years before moving back to the UK to do my doctorate so have a number of contacts.
First you'll be pursuing a work visa. Then if your employer sponsors you, you'll pursue a green card.

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:03 pm
  #19  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,056
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
First you'll be pursuing a work visa. Then if your employer sponsors you, you'll pursue a green card. ....
Unless it's an EB-3 visa.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Feb 18th 2017, 4:12 am
  #20  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2016
Location: Cascade Mountains, WA
Posts: 1,089
Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Originally Posted by JStevo1 View Post
I've been offered a job so will be pursuing a Greencard. I lived in the US for a number of years before moving back to the UK to do my doctorate so have a number of contacts.
With all due respect, contacts don't grant visas. You've been through the process before so you have some idea of how it works. A job offer is meaningless without the willingness of the employer to spend the required money and time on your visa.
Twinkle0927 is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2017, 2:15 pm
  #21  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
A Noble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Originally Posted by JStevo1 View Post
Hi All

Just came across this thread as l was doing some research into moving to the states. I'm in the process of completing a doctorate in counselling psychology and wandered how successful people have been in getting licensed in the USA with a UK psychology doctorate. Were your qualifications recognized as being equivalent as US doctorates and did you have to do any additional training/practice?
I am pleased to see this thread continuing. I just qualified as a Counselling Psychologist in London and am planning to move (back) to New York. I am American and so it is easier for me in regards to my not needing a visa. I have started to look into the process of converting the PsychD qualification and have some information that might help, if you are interested.
A Noble is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:55 pm
  #22  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
JStevo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

That would be really helpful. I've found more info myself however I'm still confused as to whether I need to do the post doctoral internship etc.

Originally Posted by A Noble View Post
I am pleased to see this thread continuing. I just qualified as a Counselling Psychologist in London and am planning to move (back) to New York. I am American and so it is easier for me in regards to my not needing a visa. I have started to look into the process of converting the PsychD qualification and have some information that might help, if you are interested.
JStevo1 is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2017, 6:12 pm
  #23  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
A Noble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Originally Posted by JStevo1 View Post
That would be really helpful. I've found more info myself however I'm still confused as to whether I need to do the post-doctoral internship etc.
Each US state is different, but I think, generally, there are three things:

1. Lectures (or 'courses' in America) - there is a big chance that a lecture that that state finds essential to their doctoral programme was not included in your programme. I am expecting that I might have to take a few non-matriculated courses.

2. Post-doctoral internship ('Externship' in America) - I believe that in every state (definitely in New York, Pittsburg, DC, and New Jersey) in order to practice as a psychologist one has to complete an externship. However, note that (unlike in the UK) you would get paid for your clinical work.

3. Exam - in most states, once completing the doctoral course and the externship, one has to take an exam.

Have you heard something different to this? Or anything additional?
A Noble is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2017, 7:10 pm
  #24  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
JStevo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Yeah that's pretty similar to what I've found out. My bog question is if I stay in the UK for a year after qualifying whether this will meet the criteria of the post doctorate externship. good luck!

Originally Posted by A Noble View Post
Each US state is different, but I think, generally, there are three things:

1. Lectures (or 'courses' in America) - there is a big chance that a lecture that that state finds essential to their doctoral programme was not included in your programme. I am expecting that I might have to take a few non-matriculated courses.

2. Post-doctoral internship ('Externship' in America) - I believe that in every state (definitely in New York, Pittsburg, DC, and New Jersey) in order to practice as a psychologist one has to complete an externship. However, note that (unlike in the UK) you would get paid for your clinical work.

3. Exam - in most states, once completing the doctoral course and the externship, one has to take an exam.

Have you heard something different to this? Or anything additional?
JStevo1 is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:40 pm
  #25  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3
A Noble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Originally Posted by JStevo1 View Post
Yeah that's pretty similar to what I've found out. My bog question is if I stay in the UK for a year after qualifying whether this will meet the criteria of the post doctorate externship. good luck!
If you work full-time in a clinical capacity and have a clinical/counselling psychologist supervising you, there is no reason why not. Best of luck to you!
A Noble is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2017, 11:59 pm
  #26  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Kleinee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

ANobel,

I have qualified as a counselling psychologist in the U.K. as well and I am struggling to make sense of the licensing process here. The NYSED has bunch of application forms but they don't really 'translate' to our qualifications.

I would be eternally grateful if you could share what you have learned thus far. Is there a way for you to message me? I tried to send you a private message but was not allowed by the administrator.

Best

E
Kleinee is offline  
Old Oct 19th 2017, 4:07 pm
  #27  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 2
camino87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Just jumping in here as well, specifically to ANobel and Kleinee. I'm American and in a similar position and desperate for some clarity! Any insight either of you can offer on getting licensed post dclinpsy in the US?

Thanks!!
camino87 is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 2:36 pm
  #28  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 2
Kleinee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Camino87,

Which state do you live in?

I have some information that may be of use to you but will only be relevant if you live in ny as this stuff is all state dependent.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 2nd 2018 at 7:07 am.
Kleinee is offline  
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 2:44 pm
  #29  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 2
camino87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Hi Kleinee... I am still in the UK but hoping to move back to NY in the next few years, so your information would be extremely helpful. Thank you!
camino87 is offline  
Old Feb 1st 2018, 11:35 pm
  #30  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
monocot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Hi ANoble, Kleinee, camino87,

I am a final year DClinPsy also looking at licensing in NY. So far I gather that I would at least have to do 1-2 years of postdoc supervised practice and the EPPP. Would be really grateful if you can share any info you have!!

Have messaged you guys
monocot is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.