British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-clinical-psychologist-working-new-york-state-856837/)

bex4010 Apr 21st 2015 11:11 am

British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Hi everyone,

I am due (fingers crossed) to qualify as a clinical psychologist in September this year. My partner recently told me that there will be opportunities for him to work in the New York office of his company. Meaning that I might be looking to work as a CP in New York for a year or two.

I have done some google searching and come up with some bits of information, however I wondered if there is anyone who has actually completed this process? or doing it now?

As chatting to a real person would be great.

Thanks in advance!

bex4010

Ps. One of the most useful things I came across was the APA handbook of requirements for psychologists by jurisdiction in case this of use to anyone

AlphaTangoMike Apr 21st 2015 12:14 pm

Re: British Clinical Psychologist working in New York state

Welcome.

Read through this WIKI and then ask further questions:
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

I see that you mentioned 'partner', if he's not your husband, you will not be able to obtain authorization to work in the US based on his visa. (I.e. the US only recognizes marriage for a dependent visa).

bex4010 Apr 21st 2015 1:09 pm

Hi thanks for your reply, I have had a look at that wiki and it has some general advice, but I am more interested in hearing someone's experience as a clinical psychologist i.e. their experience of dealing with APA and what it is like getting qualifications recognised, meeting minimum number of hours supervision etc.

Also we are getting married next summer so 'partner' will be become husband.

Although I am not at the point of looking at different visa options and implications on working, just more what does it take to work as a CP in New York ...

Thanks again though.

christmasoompa Apr 21st 2015 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by bex4010 (Post 11624591)
Although I am not at the point of looking at different visa options and implications on working, just more what does it take to work as a CP in New York ...

Which is fine, but if your visa won't allow you to work at all, then it's a bit of a moot point. So it may be best to check the visa side of things first, otherwise it could be a 'putting the cart before the horse' scenario!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding, that's great, so now you'd just need to find out what visa your husband will be on, so that you will know whether or not your visa will allow you to work.

HTH, good luck.

AlphaTangoMike Apr 21st 2015 1:27 pm

You may have to wait a while to hear from other clinical psychologists on this forum (if there are indeed any).

Don't underestimate the importance of the relevant visa. Depending on the visa category that your husband-to-be receives, you may not be able to work at all. If he receives an H-1B, you will then receive the derivative H-4 visa (and you will not be authorized to work in the US).

bex4010 Apr 21st 2015 1:32 pm

Very very good point ...

Thanks so much :)

rpjs Apr 21st 2015 8:18 pm

My sister-in-law is just completing her PhD in Clinical Psychology and is doing an internship at Long Island Jewish (so New York State) and is in the process of qualifying to practice on her own.

S-i-l is a local and has done it by the usual US route of bachelor's degree, doctoral studies including internship and will be looking to do a post-doc next, so she doesn't know off hand the details of whether a UK qualified psychologist can easily re-certify in NYS, let alone how to do it. However what she does suggest is go to the website of the New York State Office of Professions which is the licensing body for clinical psychologists in NYS. She warns that "NYS is kind of douchey abt its licensing" and that US licensing bodies usually expect a lot of training practice hours, perhaps more so than other countries do.

She also says that it might be possible to get board certification that would allow you to get a job (visas notwithstanding) while completing any re-certification you might need to do. She says to google "ABPP board certification".

You don't say what level your UK qualification is at - be aware that in the US even if it's not a formal qualification to be licensed to practice as a psychologist, it's normal for such professions here to be qualified at PhD level. So if you're not qualifying at that level you'll be competing for work with those who are.

rpjs Apr 21st 2015 8:25 pm

S-i-l just added that you could also look at joining a US professional body such as the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies. She says they have a good internal mailing list which often covers matters such as overseas practitioners needing to certify in the US.

shuggie27 May 4th 2015 2:17 pm

To bex4010 - I am in the same position as you (but one year behind!) due to qualify as a CP in September 2016 and my boyfriend is hoping to get a transfer to NYC with work after I qualify. I am doing some research into this area myself - I have contacted the NYSOP and we are speaking to friends who live in NYC to see what they think. However, if you hear anything further I'd love to know! Thanks :)

P.S. Our qualification in the UK is a doctoral-level degree but not a PhD, I'd hope this wouldn't hold us back but wonder whether the research component is sufficient if we are up against people with actual PhDs?

bobbinb Feb 29th 2016 1:20 pm

Hello all (especially shuggie27 and bex4010),

I am in the exact situation. Been practicing in the Uk for over a year now but want to relocate with my partner (we aren't married). Just wondering what you found out? Is it possible?

Many thanks for any help in advance!

shuggie27 Feb 29th 2016 1:27 pm

Hi bobbinb! I didn't get very far unfortunately - as I'm still in training, the licensing authorities weren't able to tell me what I'd have to do to ensure that my qualification enabled me to work as a CP in New York. This is the reply they sent me:

Any education that is not from a NY Registered Program has to be individually evaluated to see if it meets the NY requirement for the license. It must be equivalent to a NY Registered program.

The Education must be completed before submitting.

You would have to apply, pay the application fee, and send Form 2 to your school to complete and they must also attach a transcript. The school must mail the form directly to us.

We cannot guarantee that it will be approved, and we don't have advisors that can preview it. If you are denied the license, you may request a partial refund or make up whatever the evaluator says is deficient.
Please read all of the license requirements for this profession on our website. The forms you need are there as well.
NYS Licensed Professions

To find a NY registered program to compare the course content you can go to our Inventory of Registered programs Office of College & University Evaluation home page--NYS Education Department

How to apply for Psychology website:

NYS Psychology:License Requirements

How to get Psychology license
There is no reciprocity between NY and any other state.
You will need
Form 1 and $294
Form 2 and transcript- send Form 2 to the school that granted your doctorate degree
Form 3- send to any state you have ever held a license in
Form 4- have your supervisor(s) each complete a Form 4 attesting to Pre and Post or all Post doc experience. (Total of 3500 hours required)
Official score report from ASPPB if the state you are licensed in another state and that state cannot provide the exam information on Form 3
*Note: if you cannot find previous supervisors Experience can be attested to by another state on by attaching documentation to Form 3.
Proof of the child abuse reporting course from a provider on our website Office of the Professions:Training

For a permit, you need Form 5 and $70. Education must be approved and you must have sent us proof of taking the child abuse reporting workshop. Once you have 3500 experience hours submitted, your permit will be voided.
Hope that helps,
Thank you

I hope this is helpful. We've since decided to relocate to Hong Kong instead, I decided that after the rigours of CP training I didn't fancy having to do additional study/work to practise as a CP. Good luck with your move and I hope you get somewhere with it!

bobbinb Feb 29th 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks Shuugie27! I have received this information too- it does not look straightforward! Good luck with the rest of training and your thesis (as I guess its about that time of year!) Also, all the best with the move to hong kong. how exciting!

Nutmegger Feb 29th 2016 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by bobbinb (Post 11882399)
Hello all (especially shuggie27 and bex4010),

I am in the exact situation. Been practicing in the Uk for over a year now but want to relocate with my partner (we aren't married). Just wondering what you found out? Is it possible?

Many thanks for any help in advance!

In that case, you should be aware that you will each need to obtain a visa on your own merits if s/he also wishes to work in the US.

Pulaski Feb 29th 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11882450)
In that case, you should be aware that you will each need to obtain a visa on your own merits if s/he also wishes to work in the US.

That is technically correct, but it would be more honest to say that you need to be married in order to work (assuming the "partner" has a visa type where the trailing spouse visa allows work, because not all do), because there is virtually no chance of a clinical psychologist getting a work visa on their own merits.

JStevo1 Feb 11th 2017 3:26 pm

Hi All

Just came across this thread as l was doing some research into moving to the states. I'm in the process of completing a doctorate in counselling psychology and wandered how successful people have been in getting licensed in the USA with a UK psychology doctorate. Were your qualifications recognized as being equivalent as US doctorates and did you have to do any additional training/practice?