Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Citizenship by Decent (USA citizen - Japan Resident)

British Citizenship by Decent (USA citizen - Japan Resident)

Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Tokyogirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizenship by Decent (USA citizen - Japan Resident)

Greetings!

I've been searching online and through the forums which have been helpful, but have a couple questions relevant to my situation that I haven't been able to find a *concrete* answer.

My stats:

Born in 1983 to British father and American mother (in USA)
I have a Consular Birth Registration certificate
I currently am a legal resident of Japan (with no current plans to return to the US long term)

I would really like to get my passport and I am wondering if I need to do it through the British Consulate here in Japan. Since I have my Consular Birth Registration, do I need any other supporting documents to send in for my application. I saw a C1 form that said in my case (born in 1983, outside the UK) that was the only document needed but everywhere else I have seen is that I need my fathers birth certificate and parents marriage certificate...

Also - for the countersignature, is it pretty much allowed for a citizen of the country you are living in to sign for you? I used to work for the government, so I was thinking of asking my (Japanese) boss (high ranking govt official) to sign for me as I don't know any UK professionals outside of my relatives and I can't imagine what a pain it would be sending my application back and forth between Japan and the UK.

Also - one last question.. if I apply through the USA I realize I need to send in a marriage affidavit (which should be fun since my parents are divorced) I suppose that means I would need to send in their divorce certificate as well? My mom (the US citizen) was married 3 times before my dad.. all back in the 70s so would I need all of those divorce certificates or only the ones pertaining to my dad (the UK citizen)

I just hope that I can send in my Consular Birth Certificate and be done with it - but nothing is that easy right?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice
Default Re: British Citizenship by Decent (USA citizen - Japan Resident)

You need to apply in the country of residence i.e. Japan. All that should need is here:
http://ukinjapan.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...nals/passports
Old Sep 10th 2010, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Nicole5446 is an unknown quantity at this point

They ask for your consular certificate and the passport you used to enter your current country of residence, if applicable. There is mention of cancelling the other passport, but not sure if this just applies to old British passports that are being renewed. Surely they don't have the authority to cancel another country's passport?

I would have on hand an original copy of your mum and pa's birth certificates, if possible. But I think the first two are the only ones you'll need. Good luck getting your passport photo done correctly!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Tokyogirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you that's very helpful.

I'll right to my Dad and see if he has his birth certificate on hand.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Your British consular birth certificate is proof of British citizenship.