Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Citizenship for adopted son.

British Citizenship for adopted son.

Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:00 am
Just Joined

murphytx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizenship for adopted son.

Hi, thanks in advance for any help. I have enjoyed reading this forum and have a question of my own now.

I am a British citizen by birth and moved to the U.S. over 10 years ago and married my U.S. born wife who is not a British citizen. My wife had a 6 year old son from a previous marriage and I adopted him 9 years ago, my wife and I would like to know if it is possible to get him a British passport, we have downloaded the forms from the britainusa website but we are not sure if my son is automatically a British citizen by descent or if I have to ask the Home Office to register him, my son is under the age of 18. I have tried calling the British embassy but have not had a response.

Thanks again in advance.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of
Default Re: British Citizenship for adopted son.

I think you need to submit form MN1 to the British Embassy in Washington.

As you are a British citizen by birth, your son has an entitlement to British citizenship, but he needs to register it.

Last edited by Marty J; Sep 10th 2008 at 5:17 am.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

murphytx

here is the relevent details on the bia website.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...adoptedabroad/
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We had to apply for citizenship for our adopted daughter It was the MN1 if I remember right. Flippin expensive too. Make sure you have Originals of the final court orders and adoption finalization, original birth certificate and amended birth certificate.
I had to send in a huge package of court papers. But it was done fairly quickly and she's now a UKC with a UK passport.
The DC embassy mailed all the papers to me and were really helpful on the phone.
I think it was pretty close to $700 by the time we were done , the price went up after I mailed it all in and they called me at home to make sure it was OK to charge that much on my CC.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

400 GBP when I applied for my daughter in London using the MN1 form. (She wasn't british but born in Britain)
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
I think you need to submit form MN1 to the British Embassy in Washington.

As you are a British citizen by birth, your son has an entitlement to British citizenship, but he needs to register it.
And do so before the age of 18.