Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

british citizenship

british citizenship

Old May 20th 2009, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

eagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really nice
Default british citizenship

not sure if this is a place to ask this question or not. I was born in England to a New Zealand Citizen (mother) and US Citizen. At the time the had me established as a US citizen as they intended to return to the US. Is it possible for me to become a British citizen and have dual citizenship?
Old May 20th 2009, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british citizenship

Originally Posted by eagreen
not sure if this is a place to ask this question or not. I was born in England to a New Zealand Citizen (mother) and US Citizen. At the time the had me established as a US citizen as they intended to return to the US. Is it possible for me to become a British citizen and have dual citizenship?
How old were you when you left the UK, and when were you born?
Old May 20th 2009, 6:26 pm
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think there's a November 1982 cut off - anyone born before then was an English citizen automatically (when born in England) but after than it would appear to be more complex.

That's what I remember, anyway - might not be entirely accurate...
Old May 20th 2009, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

eagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really niceeagreen is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I was 3 when I left and born in 1963.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

IrmoBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, since you were born in England before 1983, you are a British Citizen.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As you were born in 1963, you are a British citizen! (unless your parents were diplomats).

You children should be British citizens too, by descent. Do you have any, and if so, are you married to their other parent?

Are you aware that you can also apply for New Zealand citizenship, if your mother was born in New Zealand?
http://www.citizenship.govt.nz/diawe...s?OpenDocument
Old May 21st 2009, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

I am no longer married to my daughters father. Do you know if I have actually "apply" for anything to be a British Citizen, or do I just apply for the passport? Do I have to do anything for my daughter?

Last edited by eagreen; May 21st 2009 at 6:38 pm.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I am no longer married to my daughters father. Do you know if I have actually "apply" for anything to be a British Citizen, or do I just apply for the passport? Do I have to do anything for my daughter?
You are a UK citizen. You simply apply for a British passport. However, you need to make sure you have the necessary documents to prove it. Mainly, I think you'll need your UK birth certificate. Not sure what else you may need. Once you have your Brit passport as proof of your citizenship, you should be able to get your daughter's sorted (your passport would likely be needed to prove that she is British by descent in order to apply for her passport).
Old May 21st 2009, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

IrmoBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

You can go straight to applying for a passport. If your daughter was born before 1983, she would have to register as a British Citizen first. If she was born in 1983 or later, she too can go straight to applying for a passport.
Old May 22nd 2009, 1:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You are already a British citizen, just apply for the passport.

For your daughter, apply for a British consular birth certificate plus the passport.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...h_Registration

If you want to be a New Zealander (and if you're eligible), you do have to apply for it. And usually you should do so as the opportunity may not be there later on ... unless you have some strong reason not to, such as avoiding dual citizenship for security clearance reasons.