Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

british citizen daughter in 11th yr schooling in u.s.a.

british citizen daughter in 11th yr schooling in u.s.a.

Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:52 am
Just Joined

happyascanbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default british citizen daughter in 11th yr schooling in u.s.a.

my daughter & i are planning to move to las vegas, nevada. she will be on a student visa, can she enter a public school, what's the expenses like, if ever?
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british citizen daughter in 11th yr schooling in u.s.a.

Originally Posted by happyascanbe
my daughter & i are planning to move to las vegas, nevada. she will be on a student visa, can she enter a public school, what's the expenses like, if ever?
What are the expenses like ??????????
You'll be lucky if her US school provides paper
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused...

If she is on a student visa, surely she would already have been accepted by a school, so you would know the fees. But if she is in year 11 - that's high-school surely, not college - do they issue student visas for high-school students - that would be new to me.

What visa do you have - why does she even need a student visa if she is your dependent?

Edit: I've just seen your other post in the Immigration forum. Were you able to find out whether she can get a student visa? But does she actually need it - can't your petitioner include her with your petition if she is under 18?

Last edited by Elvira; Sep 16th 2007 at 12:40 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:07 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm confused...

If she is on a student visa, surely she would already have been accepted by a school, so you would know the fees. But if she is in year 11 - that's high-school surely, not college - do they issue student visas for high-school students - that would be new to me.

What visa do you have - why does she even need a student visa if she is your dependent?

Edit: I've just seen your other post in the Immigration forum. Were you able to find out whether she can get a student visa? But does she actually need it - can't your petitioner include her with your petition if she is under 18?
Also to add to Elvira - 11th grade age tells me that she has finished school in the UK? If so, she would be much better off in the local 2 year community college than the high school. Each college has a placement test to see what level your child is at. If she has already finished school and you are interested in looking at the community college just bring proof of her completing school and let her sit the placement test. If it turns out that she doesn't do very well with it (there are online tests for her to practice to see what they are like) then she can either do the top-up classes at the college or enroll at the school if she is under 18. A two year college would be like your daughter going to the local college/sixth form in the UK.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
Also to add to Elvira - 11th grade age tells me that she has finished school in the UK? If so, she would be much better off in the local 2 year community college than the high school. Each college has a placement test to see what level your child is at. If she has already finished school and you are interested in looking at the community college just bring proof of her completing school and let her sit the placement test. If it turns out that she doesn't do very well with it (there are online tests for her to practice to see what they are like) then she can either do the top-up classes at the college or enroll at the school if she is under 18. A two year college would be like your daughter going to the local college/sixth form in the UK.
Only problem is that, since she does not have 1 year's residence, she would be charged international fees for community college. Whereas, if she attends high-school, it would be free.

Still not sure whether a high-school/community college student can get a student visa.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
What are the expenses like ??????????
You'll be lucky if her US school provides paper
No paper for us!
$250 general donation requested for each school year, Yearbooks $60-80 a year, $50 min. sponsorship or they can't attend sports day,$32 requested for any day they are absent as school is not paid for these (!), magazine subscriptions and Christmas wrappings to sell, endless photo packs...
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:02 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem is that, since she does not have 1 year's residence, she would be charged international fees for community college. Whereas, if she attends high-school, it would be free.

Still not sure whether a high-school/community college student can get a student visa.
True. Some private colleges will waiver international fees but their regularly fees may still be as much as a community college's international fees.

the advantage of going to college rather than school is the transfer to go back home - an AA degree is considered like A levels back home. If going back after a couple of years is something that could happen it could be worth taking this option.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:20 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

My son completed school in the UK before we came to the US. He then did 2 years of High school and graduated. It is good to get a high school graduation under your belt before you start college.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Okay - I'm probably going to sound like a snot for saying this, but I will anyway.

I would think twice on the community college. Community college is for most in the US either 1) a way to save money for the first 2 years of college, or 2) a path to a profession that is a bit more vocational. It's not generally very difficult to get into a community college, and I don't think the education is quite as good.

Now, did I attend one? No. Are there exceptions? Probably. Still, I think a traditional 4 year university is preferable for many.

Plus - if she's in her 11th year that would make her 16 or so, is that correct? Going to high school would be a nice way for her to meet others her age, to form a group of friends, etc. This isn't impossible in a community college - but it would be harder, plus many would be 2+ years older than your daughter.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 4:05 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally
No paper for us!
$250 general donation requested for each school year, Yearbooks $60-80 a year, $50 min. sponsorship or they can't attend sports day,$32 requested for any day they are absent as school is not paid for these (!), magazine subscriptions and Christmas wrappings to sell, endless photo packs...
They have a cheek!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 4:26 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Redlippie
They have a cheek!
Is this even legal...
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys for all your replies......truly appreciate it!!!!
My elder daughter who lives in u.s is petitioning me and since it's me petitioning my younger daughter when I become a resident there which is 5 yrs, I can petition her so she goes with a student visa, therefore will come as an international student.....just wondering if public schools would accept her and would the tuition be cheaper????
There's no problem with private ones, though the tuition alone is $1000 plus a month, not a joke!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:34 pm
Homebody

Thanks guys for all your replies......truly appreciate it!!!!
My elder daughter who lives in u.s is petitioning me and since it's me petitioning my younger daughter when I become a resident there which is 5 yrs, I can petition her so she goes with a student visa, therefore will come as an international student.....just wondering if public schools would accept her and would the tuition be cheaper????
There's no problem with private ones, though the tuition alone is $1000 plus a month, not a joke!
Two things: to be able to petition her, you have to become a USC first - you cannot petition as a PR. Assuming that you are getting an immigrant's visa, you'll become a PR upon entry to the US. You can file for naturalisation after 5 years; I believe the process from application to oath usually takes anything from 6 to 12 months.

Secondly: are you absolutely sure your daughter can get a student's visa without actually having been accepted by a college of further education? To my laywoman's eyes, what you are proposing seems just too simple. IME US immigration is never simple...

So, before we go any further with trying to help you find a good and affordable school for daughter, we need to know that she actually qualified for a student visa.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

thanks again guys!

i'm forwarding all her reports from her school here so the school in u.s. can assess which year she can be accomodated in. the u.s. school will issue the I-20 which is the application for a student visa which will be sent to the embassy here in uk. i was thinking if she finished her 11th yr here, she's also doing here gcse's this year so i don't know if it's quite critical, not knowing school curriculums there.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Two things: to be able to petition her, you have to become a USC first - you cannot petition as a PR. Assuming that you are getting an immigrant's visa, you'll become a PR upon entry to the US. You can file for naturalisation after 5 years; I believe the process from application to oath usually takes anything from 6 to 12 months.

Secondly: are you absolutely sure your daughter can get a student's visa without actually having been accepted by a college of further education? To my laywoman's eyes, what you are proposing seems just too simple. IME US immigration is never simple...

So, before we go any further with trying to help you find a good and affordable school for daughter, we need to know that she actually qualified for a student visa.
Any idea how long it will take for the OP's eldest daughter to petition her mother before she can live in the US?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.