Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Christmas Traditions

British Christmas Traditions

Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Christmas Traditions

Originally Posted by ElsieTheMaid
I always buy my christmas crackers after xmas in the sales for the next year. If you wait till Feb/Mar, you get them dirt cheap.
Aye, not bad idea, but I don't think the place keeps them that long...
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:14 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
Should see some of the homes over on the way here, loads of lights and shite in the gardens and stuff, some decorations are even bigger than the homes...
too right! http://www.uglychristmaslights.com
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Spinneretta is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the Christmas light site...
This thread made me homesick for mince pies and Christmas pud... I do the cooking so at least we get turkey, and Mum and Dad send us crackers every year!
But I too miss the pickled onions (and real pickled gherkins for that matter) and the cheese and crackers... and Noel Edmonds Christmas Presents after the Queen's Speech...

~Spin
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Sherry Trifle

In years gone by brits (apparently) used to string together pop corn and decorate the tree with it.

Ash
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I forgot... when I was a kid we always got fresh fruit and nuts in our christmas stocking... not sure that is done anymore though.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Sherry Trifle

In years gone by brits (apparently) used to string together pop corn and decorate the tree with it.

Ash
We always strung popcorn to decorate the school trees...
And we got fruit and nuts in our stockings at home. And we never had any brits in our family...

Last year I took some mince pies home for xmas.. and mom said oooh we used to have those growing up but they had real meat in them. So aparently not too far in the distant past (1940-50s)mince pies were made in Northwestern Pennsylvania at least.

Just thought you'd like to know