Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Christmas Traditions

British Christmas Traditions

Old Nov 17th 2004, 9:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Christmas Traditions

Aye, tv x-mas specials...haven't noticed those over here....
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Hanging up decorations *inside* the house!
And at least waiting until December before we put them up....
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pharrya
And at least waiting until December before we put them up....
Should see some of the homes over on the way here, loads of lights and shite in the gardens and stuff, some decorations are even bigger than the homes...
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:33 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: British Christmas Traditions

One of the most memorable events which I'm sure just about everyone who is a Brit reading this is...the Nativity Play at infant school!

I was fortunate in that we did get to see our two children in the Christmas Nativity Plays before we left England. ...it really did bring a lump to our throats and a tear to the eye! We moved to Singapore in Jan 1995 just a few weeks after our son's sixth birthday. He went to a British school from Year 1, but quite a number of parents were in mixed marriages with people from other cultures, so as not to offend the Christmas concert was secular in nature with no mention of the baby Jesus....

I've only just learned that the Candy Cane originated in England! So did the custom of hanging up a stocking for receiving Christmas gifts. See here:

http://www.bawdseymanor.com/christmas2.htm
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe they do not have chritsmas crackers over here (also easter eggs but that is for another time) what with all the get rich businesses you would have thought they would have done that. Also party poppers. My Christmasses at home are full of booze and noise!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I cannot believe they do not have chritsmas crackers over here (also easter eggs but that is for another time) what with all the get rich businesses you would have thought they would have done that. Also party poppers. My Christmasses at home are full of booze and noise!
I've seen them around, but bloomin' expensive....so can get them online..but real shame that....and advent calendars...I've seen them, but there a tad shite...no decent choc in 'em
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm feeling thoroughly homesick now.

I'm suddenly remembering the delights of the cocktail size mince pies from Safeway which have icing on top instead of pastry. The icing and marzipan which is generally the only part of the Christmas cake I eat, and my little sisters insistence that we still have Prawn Cocktail or Melon and Sorbet for a starter on Christmas Day despite the fact that Prawn Cocktails lost their fashionable status years ago

Thanks for all the ideas, I think I'll prepare a little British booklet this evening to send in for the teacher
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Not really a x-mas tradition, but somin' I miss, pickled onions and cheese...can nae find pickled onions, not even in the booze section, tho the local health shop does have imported cross and blackwell pickled onions...ain't half small and pricey though...
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Bread Sauce.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:49 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Can anyone think of anything else the British associate with Christmas that the Americans don't?
Pantomime. Over here it just seems to mean mime. Oh yes it does!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 5:07 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Being a slob on boxing day rather than shopping...

lol perfect it takes another brit to realise this!! my hubby will never understand ....why did it take me 8 yrs to find this site
Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:02 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Turkey curry and about a million other things to do with left-over turkey
Christmas pudding
The wizard of oz (never understood why it gets shown every cristmas)
Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:13 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Originally Posted by mikehope
The wizard of oz (never understood why it gets shown every cristmas)
Funny you should say that...my family thinks I'm weird cus I consider that a Christmas movie!

Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:16 pm
North Carolina layabout

Bendex is an unknown quantity at this point

More of a New Year's thing.....but the tradition that the first person over your threshold after midnight should be an attractive dark haired man with coal......for wealth in the New Year (although I say forget the coal and just send the attractive guy )

Turkey dinner on Christmas day....most of the Americans I know have goose or cornish hen or something on the actual day, as they've had turkey for Thanksgiving

Christmas crackers and wearing a stupid hat all day

Drinking.....I think that's more of a culture thing in UK.....especially as nearly all the family will indulge, not just the over 21's (I remember the days of being a kid and having my own Babycham for Xmas day)

Sage and onion stuffing

Advent rings....I haven't seen one here, but they may have them
Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:18 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Originally Posted by Bob
I've seen them around, but bloomin' expensive....so can get them online..but real shame that....and advent calendars...I've seen them, but there a tad shite...no decent choc in 'em
I always buy my christmas crackers after xmas in the sales for the next year. If you wait till Feb/Mar, you get them dirt cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.