Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

Ad to the agony for Hersheys I read also that they have moved some of their production to Mexico so as to lower their production costs and make bigger profits. (did I need to say that?)
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattySD
Yes, I never quite got the "Hersheys Chocolate has to be different because of the climate" argument.
Yeah that's a load of rubbish, really. There is plenty of good chocloate to be had out here. Hershey is just not one of them.

Obviously there's a market for it but I know plenty of Americans who think it's just as minging as I do.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I never quite got the "Hersheys Chocolate has to be different because of the climate" argument. Mars' Dove brand in the US is perfectly decent, as are most of their bars, so it's not an American problem, it's a Hershey problem.
Do you mean Hershey's or Cadbury's made by Hershey? If Hershey...it has a distinct taste that many Brits don't like...but Americans obviously like it.

IMO Cadbury's in New Zealand tastes exactly like the UK Cadbury's...but Cadbury's sold in Australia is more like the US crap. Cadbury's bought in Canada is better than the US Cadbury's. Yep it's all down to the climate.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you mean Hershey's or Cadbury's made by Hershey? If Hershey...it has a distinct taste that many Brits don't like...but Americans obviously like it.

IMO Cadbury's in New Zealand tastes exactly like the UK Cadbury's...but Cadbury's sold in Australia is more like the US crap. Cadbury's bought in Canada is better than the US Cadbury's. Yep it's all down to the climate.
Not entirely. it's also that:

Several reformulated versions are sold in the United States as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not allow products that replace cocoa butter with vegetable fat to be called chocolate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Dairy_Milk

Hershey's stuff in general tastes like vomit to me so I will continue to avoid it like the plague and hunt out the real Cadbury's stuff

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 24th 2013 at 4:59 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
Ad to the agony for Hersheys I read also that they have moved some of their production to Mexico so as to lower their production costs and make bigger profits. (did I need to say that?)
Quite a lot of their candy is made in Monterrey now - Hershey used to have a factory in Canada but this was closed down some years back.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

If I want a piece of chocolate and I have not had a care package from the UK for a while and have run out of the good stuff, I have Ghirardelli Milk & Caramel. It's not too bad and doesn't taste like Hershey's 'chocolate' in the slightest.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
If I want a piece of chocolate and I have not had a care package from the UK for a while and have run out of the good stuff, .
Thats one of my favorite expressions
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Well, UK Cadbury chocolate is good stuff! I've been enjoying the Dairy Milk with Oreos that my sisters brought over when they came to visit. That's one bar that would fly off the shelves if it was ever launched in the US.

Last edited by MattySD; Apr 25th 2013 at 3:50 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Well, UK Cadbury chocolate is good stuff! I've been enjoying the Dairy Milk with Oreos that my sisters brought over when they came to visit. That's one bar that would fly off the shelves if it was ever launched in the US.

http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/11/31/15/91/1558510.png

I'm not into eating Cadbury's with pieces of Turd in it.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I'm not into eating Cadbury's with pieces of Turd in it.
Well, I enjoyed it anyway - I guess it depends on whether you like Oreos or not. Do you just don't like Oreos or does it just remind you that Cadbury are now Mondelez who also own Nabisco brands? I can understand people's anger about that, I was angry too, but what's done is done.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I enjoyed it anyway - I guess it depends on whether you like Oreos or not. Do you just don't like Oreos or does it just remind you that Cadbury are now Mondelez who also own Nabisco brands? I can understand people's anger about that, I was angry too, but what's done is done.
I don't know what's to like about Oreos...they are tasteless.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:02 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

they are tasteless.
I get accused of that a lot.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what's to like about Oreos...they are tasteless.
They're alright, on their own at least. Not sure how they'd taste in a chocolate bar but as far as having a plate of them to go with cup of tea - I tend to polish off quite a lot of them in one go

Not a patch on the Fox's Classic, as biccies go, but I like them. Then again, I do like a lot of the local foodstuffs, especially of the sweeties variety, that many would not approve of on here
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't tried this one yet - but it looks yummy:

This is yet another bar that we will probably never see in the US thanks to the Hershey stranglehold!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried this one yet - but it looks yummy:

http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/11/31/15/91/1559610.png

This is yet another bar that we will probably never see in the US thanks to the Hershey stranglehold!
Is it me or do the chunks look thinner (flatter) but wider now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.