Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

My American mrs is a bit meh about a lot of the British stuff that I hold dear, but Battenberg cake is one thing she absolutely adores, especially the Mr Kipling Mini Battenbergs.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattySD
Wow Sarah, you lucky blighter!
yeah, tell me about it...if I'd have done the same, I'd either be ignored or told to piss off
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

My father in law (American) keeps using my single bars to balance as much peanut butter as physically possible on. Not impressed to say the least.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

I still have a lot of unanswered questions about the future of the Cadbury brand in the USA. We know that (1) in 1988 Hershey bought the rights to manufacture and distribute Cadbury branded chocolate in the USA and (2) that contract was for 25 years and so will expire in 2013. What I don't know is what happens at the end of the 25 years - when I say that it will automatically return to Cadbury, now Mondelez, I'm only making an educated guess, I don't have any more information as nobody else is talking about it. Also I have no idea what will happen to the Peter Paul brands Mounds and Almond Joy and York's Peppermint Patty as they also are covered under this 25 year contract (however internationally rather than just the US). Does anybody have any sources that can clarify what will be happening?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
There's a vendor on amazon.com (the US one) called BritishMart that ships from the UK, but charges $1.50 shipping per item, and a WorldMarkets type price for the item. If you want to order a couple of big dairy milk bars it works out at quite a reasonable compared to other UK food shippers where they charge shipping by weight. We bought some Giant Buttons from them and they arrived within a week, but they ship using the ordinary post office, so you are at the whim of the usual postal delays.
Crunchies on the way! BritishMart seems reasonable for some things, but not others. Thanks for the tip!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:21 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Just dropped my Mother to the Airport and she left me with a few huge bars of Cadbury fruit and nut and whole nut I'm saving them. Not sure what for, but I am.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm stuck at Philadelphia airport with interminable delays to my connecting flight. I don't think my bag of Wispa Bites bought at heathrow are going to make it back to virginia let alone the emergency chocolate stash.....
Old Oct 16th 2012, 5:31 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Discovered that World Market is now selling Galaxy Carmel.

Also when flying anywhere out of Charlotte the duty free has a small Cadbury's selection, which they will sell to anyone, so you just have to pay sales tax if not flying international.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Going on from what I stated previously, doing a bit more digging I found this reference to Hershey’s contract with Cadbury/Mondelez:
The Company'€s rights under these agreements are extendible on a long-term basis at the Company'€s option. The license for CADBURY and CARAMELLO products is subject to a minimum sales requirement that the Company exceeded in 2003.
So Hershey has the choice to continue the contract in perpetuity providing they maintain a minimum inventory level. Quite what the inventory level is I don’t know, but it does mean that they don't have to sell so much that they eclipse their own brands. So, going on from what the contract states, and the fact that there has been nothing in the news to state that Mondelez is taking back Cadbury distribution in the US this July/August, I would say that we are probably stuck with Hershey-made Cadbury chocolate for some time yet.

Last edited by MattySD; Apr 23rd 2013 at 8:41 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

My American mrs is a bit meh about a lot of the British stuff that I hold dear, but Battenberg cake is one thing she absolutely adores, especially the Mr Kipling Mini Battenbergs.
Thats why I imported my wife from England

She won't even touch Hersheys

But if you needed the green card
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Going on from what I stated previously, doing a bit more digging I found this reference to Hershey’s contract with Cadbury/Mondelez:

So Hershey has the choice to continue the contract in perpetuity providing they maintain a minimum inventory level. Quite what the inventory level is I don’t know, but it does mean that they don't have to sell so much that they eclipse their own brands. So, going on from what the contract states, and the fact that there has been nothing in the news to state that Mondelez is taking back Cadbury distribution in the US this July/August, I would say that we are probably stuck with Hershey-made Cadbury chocolate for some time yet.
That's what happened with Cost Plus. When I asked the guy where my beloved Cadbury's were, he told me that since Hersey's took over their new terms outlined selling their make of what they call chocolate AS well as Cadbury's (brit made). Cost Plus declined - all Cad chocs pulled.

This was about a year ago - not sure if things have changed.

Brit stores are still able to import them though.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting that as far as Ice Cream Treats are concerned things are different - Blue Bunny have the Cadbury brands and Unilever/Good Humor have the Hershey/Reeses brands.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not big on Hersheys but I have read that they need to change their ingredients because of the US climate. Think...they don't have too many 110 degree days in Scotland.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I'm not big on Hersheys but I have read that they need to change their ingredients because of the US climate. Think...they don't have too many 110 degree days in Scotland.
I would rather have a melted bar of British Cadbury's than a solid bar of Hersheys any day.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I never quite got the "Hersheys Chocolate has to be different because of the climate" argument. Mars' Dove brand in the US is perfectly decent, as are most of their bars, so it's not an American problem, it's a Hershey problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.