Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Cadbury's Chocolate in the US

Originally Posted by steveq
Given Aldi owns Trader Joe's, there might be a synergy there between the idea of F & E and their existing markets.
I thought it was owned by a member of the Aldi family, rather than by Aldi, the grocery chain.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:22 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's what my grandad used to call a gut.
can't be much of one at 182 lbs and 6' - I wish!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattySD
This blog post from Canada suggests that Hershey does manufacture Creme Eggs and wraps them in different coloured foil to the Canadian variety:
Bullshit, I've had all three side-by-side for comparison, the British ones are larger and have better tasting chocolate, the Canadian and "US" ones are identical, made in Ontario, the only difference is the wrapper. Plus I know what Canadian Cadbury's chocolate tastes like and it's definitely the made in Ontario stuff, not imported from anywhere and definitely not Hershey's.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:58 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not quite...they don't sell the Cadbury's Coconut and Cashew bars of choc that I can buy in Canada. Whether they're made in Canada or the UK...they are delish.
Made in the UK and imported into Canada, rather odd but that is the case with all the exotic Cadbury stuff, e.g. Peanut Butter & Pretzel. But the regular varieties are made in Ontario.

Anyway as I've said on here before, it's generally simpler to get candy from Canada than the UK and by and large it is the same or similar to the stuff you get in Canada, except we actually have stuff you can't get in the UK, e.g. the bucket size Malteser's which I can only assume are intended to last all winter. Or the monster boxes of Mars fun-size bars, I bought one for a Christmas present a few years back, even the obese CBP inspector looked at it with this sort of expression on his face: Visit Canada and buy a couple of those and you won't need to come back for awhile.

If you happen to visit western Canada, go into London Drugs, they usually have a good selection. I bought some Kit Kats the other day, caramel flavour, made in the UK but in Canadian wrapping. But the regular ones are made in Canada.

Nestlé also make various types of Aero in Canada but a lot of it is imported from the UK as well.

If it wasn't for candy I have no idea what there would be to eat in many parts of Canada, endless amounts of frozen crap from the supermarket. Fresh food especially during the winter is hard to come by.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Brit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond reputeBrit In TN has a reputation beyond repute

For those in the South - my local Ingles sells Cadbury's Choc Fingers. The real deal. Manufactured in UK imported to US. Both milk and dark chocolate available, about 30 fingers to the box/tray. Cost is about $3.50 around here. Not sure how many other Ingles stores stock them. They are on the shelves near the Scottish shortbread, Danish cookies and other 'upmarket' type cookies.
Grab em while you can. They store nicely in the freezer!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit In TN
For those in the South - my local Ingles sells Cadbury's Choc Fingers. The real deal. Manufactured in UK imported to US. Both milk and dark chocolate available, about 30 fingers to the box/tray. Cost is about $3.50 around here. Not sure how many other Ingles stores stock them. They are on the shelves near the Scottish shortbread, Danish cookies and other 'upmarket' type cookies.
Grab em while you can. They store nicely in the freezer!
$1.99 at the local Walmart here in Dixie
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
Bullshit, I've had all three side-by-side for comparison, the British ones are larger and have better tasting chocolate, the Canadian and "US" ones are identical, made in Ontario, the only difference is the wrapper. Plus I know what Canadian Cadbury's chocolate tastes like and it's definitely the made in Ontario stuff, not imported from anywhere and definitely not Hershey's.
Yes thanks again, I suspected in the same post that the blog was incorrect and thanks to you and others we've established 100% that Creme Eggs are not manufactured in the USA.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought it was owned by a member of the Aldi family, rather than by Aldi, the grocery chain.
Aldi is run as two separate companies, Aldi Süd and Aldi Nord. Trader Joes is owned by Aldi Nord, and the Aldi stores in the USA are owned by Aldi Süd. Word on the street is that Aldi Süd are far more likely to buy Fresh and Easy than Aldi Nord.
Old May 5th 2013, 5:24 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by MattySD
I haven't tried this one yet - but it looks yummy:

http://i79.servimg.com/u/f79/11/31/15/91/1559610.png

This is yet another bar that we will probably never see in the US thanks to the Hershey stranglehold!
I got one of those and the Oreo one earlier in the week from a local store. They're both pretty good although the popcorn one being 80% popcorn there isn't really much to it, so a bit of a rip-off.
Old May 5th 2013, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a Cadbury's chocolate easter egg this weekend - yep, a wee bit late, BUT it was amazing!

The cadbury's buttons one - I tell ya, the egg chocolate is the BEST I have ever tasted. Even better than the bars. Maybe because it's fresh? Dunno, but inhaled that bugger in one day!
Old May 5th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toopie28
I just got a Cadbury's chocolate easter egg this weekend - yep, a wee bit late, BUT it was amazing!

The cadbury's buttons one - I tell ya, the egg chocolate is the BEST I have ever tasted. Even better than the bars. Maybe because it's fresh? Dunno, but inhaled that bugger in one day!
I'm going to California tomorrow so tell me where got it?
Old May 6th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

I got it at a wee place called - Hare and the Hounds - it's in Thousand Oaks - corner of Hampshire. They had several left in stock (half price) when I got mine.
Old May 7th 2013, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I got it at a wee place called - Hare and the Hounds - it's in Thousand Oaks - corner of Hampshire. They had several left in stock (half price) when I got mine.
Our motel is on Madera in Simi Valley.

Cheers
Old May 8th 2013, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

A day? slow eater! My Buttons egg was gone in under 10 minutes, Buttons included I do so love Buttons and Wispas, especially the giant Buttons in the £2 for 155g/5.5oz pack - yum!
Old May 8th 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rallybug
A day? slow eater! My Buttons egg was gone in under 10 minutes, Buttons included I do so love Buttons and Wispas, especially the giant Buttons in the £2 for 155g/5.5oz pack - yum!
It was a big un. And I hate to admit this but - the reason it took a day was because I had visitors and I would not share! Isn't that awful!!

So I kept coming into my room to crack off a wee piece here and there when I went to the "bathroom".

I actually wanted the Cadbury's caramel one - but that's my crack cocaine and I thought I would be safe with the buttons. They are so freakin good. My pal also sent me a BOX of Malteasers - a late birthday present - OMG!!! Sat there with my tea, box of Malteasers watching a werewolf movie - heaven!