Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A British Broadcaster looking for work in the USA?

A British Broadcaster looking for work in the USA?

Old May 4th 2010, 3:31 am
Just Joined

Fiona Siobhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A British Broadcaster looking for work in the USA?

Hello Scouse Journalist!

Look for your local public broadcasting station. I have a very good (if poorly paid) career in local broadcasting at a public radio station.

I'm not "famous" , but that's not what I wanted...fame. I am having a fantastic time. I went from doing board op work, to having my own one hour show on classical music and the arts.
I also do my fair share of voice overs.
The trick is finding a place and a market that loves the British viewpoint, and a British accent.
It's not all a piece of cake, you've got to be flexible, and if you are, or could be successful in Britain , then you have what it takes here.

I find the biggest difference is that most American stations expect their talent to be multi talented.
I do so many jobs, that you couldn't fit them all on my name badge.
I engineer, am an on air host as well as produce shows.
My friends who work at the BBC cannot believe how much I have learned to do.
Locate an area of the country that likes a British accent...and go for it!!!
The money in public broadcasting is rubbish, but the freedom to create is wild!
Just today I went to my boss with an idea for 3 one hour specials. He just smiled and said
"Go for it!"
Keep us posted!
Old May 4th 2010, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Retseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really nice

Personally when I see a British tv reporter, I change the channel.

I recently broke my rule and watched a Brit reporter working for CNN interview the president of the company at the center of the west virginia mine disaster - to say he was a rude and arrogant little prick would be a gross understatement, I would gladly have punched him in the gob if he had asked me "are you able to sleep at night knowing what you may have done to those men?".

British tv personalities from Simon Cowell to Anne Robinson to Len Goodman are making money from portraying the British as rude, arrogant, and heartless, and the americans are just lapping it up.

Unfortunately, it's a stereotype I don't welcome - as witnessed by a comment from one of my peers about how difficult it is to fire employees - "oh we should just get Mike to do it, it won't bother him at all, he's British" - said with a straight face and in all seriousness................
Old May 5th 2010, 12:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retseh
... to say he was a rude and arrogant little prick would be a gross understatement
This is true of Don Blankenship also.

Ian
Old May 5th 2010, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Fiona Siobhan is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all of us Brits who work in broadcasting are rude, or uncaring.
It's just become fashionable to allow certain people to get away with it.

But the "famous" are few and far between, there are plenty of us on the smaller scale who are doing a lot of fine work, who remain decent and polite.
And we are getting work.
We are enjoying careers, not flash in the pan moments of stardom.
Old May 5th 2010, 1:55 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

This is all dependent on where in the US you're moving to.

So... Where in the US are you moving to?
Old May 5th 2010, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

ScouseJournalist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ridski
This is all dependent on where in the US you're moving to.

So... Where in the US are you moving to?
I'm moving to the Mid-West (Minnesota).

Hey Fiona thanks for the encouragement, I'm looking into PSB right now, how did you get into it? Did you network with people, develop a reputation, that kind of thing?

SJ
Old May 6th 2010, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScouseJournalist
I'm moving to the Mid-West (Minnesota).

Hey Fiona thanks for the encouragement, I'm looking into PSB right now, how did you get into it? Did you network with people, develop a reputation, that kind of thing?

SJ
Do you mean PBS?
Old May 6th 2010, 11:03 am
Just Joined

ScouseJournalist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Do you mean PBS?
"Public Service Broadcasting"

Your right though, in America its PBS(Public Broadcasting Service), I was getting confused with the British equivalent "PSB".
Old May 6th 2010, 3:30 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Minnesota's main PBS station (for radio, anyway) is MPR, or Minnesota Public Radio. Looks like thy're run by American Public Media (as opposed to National Public Radio). Here is the APM career's page.

Good luck with your search. My wife actually went to broadcast school and got a job through an internship as a producer on a Sirius Satellite Radio show here in NYC. After a year, there were some issues with the talent and she was let go, but she's now pursuing a career as a voice-over artist and professional podcaster. So, perhaps, despite it being a crummy gig to start with, interning is one possible way to get the contacts you need to get the job you want.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:09 am
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

Fox and Sky are the same company.

Originally Posted by ScouseJournalist
Hey everyone I'm new here

About to make the permanent move to the US in the coming months and look for jobs in that strange entity that is the American media...

How do you guys feel seeing British Journalists/personalities on American TV(are we dulling it up?). Fox "News" seems to have snatched a few Sky News reporters lately.

Be interesting to hear from any media professionals working in the US, has the novelty of your unique "Britishness" been an advantage in finding work or a disadvantage because the mainstream cant relate to a non-American on TV/radio?

SJ
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:23 pm
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by megalaser
Fox and Sky are the same company.
Yes, but it's still difficult, even within the same company, to get on-air talent to work out well in different markets. I mean Fox News Channel and Sky Sports are the same company, but I don't think Huckabee would play too well on Sky Sports, you know what I mean?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:27 pm
James Chesterton

megalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud ofmegalaser has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ridski
Yes, but it's still difficult, even within the same company, to get on-air talent to work out well in different markets. I mean Fox News Channel and Sky Sports are the same company, but I don't think Huckabee would play too well on Sky Sports, you know what I mean?
Huckabee has got to be the worst presenter on any channel.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Excellent and congratulations! With that out of the way, I'm sure people other than myself will be able to provide you with some useful replies to your specific questions.

Personally I know bugger all about media... although I believe that some bloke called Cowell has done OK for himself over here.
Personally I think the Americans love the Brits! although not too sure, after the latest 'British Petroleum' disaster, that Obama keeps refering the name to now.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look on MSNBC

Admittedly not may do.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 6:22 pm
Diamond Geezer

Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

No, it's my point, flying right over your head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.