Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A British Broadcaster looking for work in the USA?

A British Broadcaster looking for work in the USA?

Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

ScouseJournalist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A British Broadcaster looking for work in the USA?

Hey everyone I'm new here

About to make the permanent move to the US in the coming months and look for jobs in that strange entity that is the American media...

How do you guys feel seeing British Journalists/personalities on American TV(are we dulling it up?). Fox "News" seems to have snatched a few Sky News reporters lately.

Be interesting to hear from any media professionals working in the US, has the novelty of your unique "Britishness" been an advantage in finding work or a disadvantage because the mainstream cant relate to a non-American on TV/radio?

SJ
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:50 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A British Broadcaster looking for work in the USA?

I'll preempt the inevitable questions about what visa you're moving to the US on.

What visa are you moving to the US on?

...and welcome to British Expats!

Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Hey DBJ

Ha yeah I know the score with newcomers here thinking they can just work anywhere like that. All that stuff is sorted (I'm a permanent greencard holder). So I'm looking at establishing a media career in the US long term.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

As for jobs...best way is through people you know...it's tough and unless your already a big name or have big norks, they won't like you, especially if you've a funny English accent

There's a few media folks on BE...generally it's a case of starting from the very bottom again though unless you've got contacts to get your foot in the door.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:01 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScouseJournalist
Hey DBJ

Ha yeah I know the score with newcomers here thinking they can just work anywhere like that. All that stuff is sorted (I'm a permanent greencard holder). So I'm looking at establishing a media career in the US long term.
Excellent and congratulations! With that out of the way, I'm sure people other than myself will be able to provide you with some useful replies to your specific questions.

Personally I know bugger all about media... although I believe that some bloke called Cowell has done OK for himself over here.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE

As for jobs...best way is through people you know...it's tough and unless your already a big name or have big norks, they won't like you, especially if you've a funny English accent

There's a few media folks on BE...generally it's a case of starting from the very bottom again though unless you've got contacts to get your foot in the door.

Yeah your right. Thats my problem at the moment, other than the portfolio of work I'm compiling, I'm mostly a young wildcard from the UK as far as an American employer is concerned.

Theres mostly a snobbery towards American Journalism in the UK so most my contacts here aren't much for advice on selling yourself (haha other than get your teeth whitened!).

What is optimistic is America unlike the UK actually advertises Journalism/media jobs (no "old boy" network in the US). Which i'l be applying for but how to sell yourself in such an apparently vain industry, embrace the whole British thing?

Ha DBJ, I've noticed we seem to get away with a lot more on US TV don't we?
Obnoxious Cowell, and Gordon Ramsey. Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens broadcasting their blasphemy on cable TV, ha I don't think Americans could get away with it in the same way.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:30 am
Arrogant ****

Yeah your right. Thats my problem at the moment, other than the portfolio of work I'm compiling, I'm mostly a young wildcard from the UK as far as an American employer is concerned.

Theres mostly a snobbery towards American Journalism in the UK so most my contacts here aren't much for advice on selling yourself (haha other than get your teeth whitened!).

What is optimistic is America unlike the UK actually advertises Journalism/media jobs (no "old boy" network in the US). Which i'l be applying for but how to sell yourself in such an apparently vain industry, embrace the whole British thing?

Ha DBJ, I've noticed we seem to get away with a lot more on US TV don't we?
Obnoxious Cowell, and Gordon Ramsey. Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens broadcasting their blasphemy on cable TV, ha I don't think Americans could get away with it in the same way.
Yeah, I'm much the same at work. Really.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's on the surface, the reality is the same...it's who you know gets you in, the advertising is usually just for appearances as they usually already have someone in mind.

One thing that helps, and something a mate recommended, if you have any interest in stage plays, cabaret, that sort of stuff, even if it's just helping out with tickets or what not, but get involved with a local group. You'd be surprised how quickly you'll meet someone who works in media in some fashion or will be able to introduce you to someone who does.
Old May 1st 2010, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

There's a British guy called Tom Porter who presents Maine Things Considered on MPBN (radio) in Maine. Great guy, no idea if his accent helped or hindered him getting the job.
Old May 1st 2010, 1:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

John Oliver seems to do OK.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

There's a gingery Scottish loudmothed guy on the news here, I vaguely remember seeing him back in England. They seem to like British accents for advertising cleaning products
Old May 1st 2010, 2:15 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Think you can do better than the locals? This is the country that produces journalists like Sarah Palin, you know!

What is optimistic is America unlike the UK actually advertises Journalism/media jobs (no "old boy" network in the US).
Americans network their ****ing balls off.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar

Americans network their ****ing balls off.
Before we came over, my husband thought the US scientific community was less of an 'old boy network', he thinks different now.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
There's a gingery Scottish loudmothed guy on the news here, I vaguely remember seeing him back in England. They seem to like British accents for advertising cleaning products
There's also that bird on CNN, Abbie whose often on Wolf Blitzer's segment. One thing about the US media, there's lots of it. Plenty of local radio and TV stations which are affiliated with the Big 3 Networks, ABC, NBC and CBS as well as the cable channels.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brit3964
There's also that bird on CNN, Abbie whose often on Wolf Blitzer's segment. One thing about the US media, there's lots of it. Plenty of local radio and TV stations which are affiliated with the Big 3 Networks, ABC, NBC and CBS as well as the cable channels.
All the women on our local TV news channel are cross-eyed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.