Reload this Page >

British birth certificate for US born baby

British birth certificate for US born baby

Old Oct 10th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British birth certificate for US born baby

Originally Posted by FionaC
Hubby and I are both Brits. We want to organise a british birth certificate for our baby born here in the US. We got married in Bermuda and it says that we have to send our original marriage certificate along with authentication from the relevant embassy. Am I right in thinking that as Bermuda is an overseas territory we won't need that?
If you're asking whether you'll need your marriage certificate authenticated then I can only imagine that the answer's no. The relevant embassy would in this case be the British Embassy in the USA, since as you say Bermuda is an overseas territory.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by raithrovers1
My daughter already has a british passport.
I was wanting to get her to a position where she could pass on her citizenship to her children as she is only british by descent (Born in USA).
All I was pointing out is it is a waste of money to register the birth as it is not needed to get a British Passport for a child born to a British Born UK citizens.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
It's my understanding that you do not need to do this, that you can just apply for a British passport for your child without the hassle and cost of registering the birth. As long as you or your husband is a British born citizen.
Though registering the birth has other benefits...

Mostly for the future, when the parent might be dead and getting copies of the documents to provide proof of citizenship becomes difficult or impossible...problems can come from a US birth cert issued after 3 months after birth, not being able to get copies of certain documents or most likely in event that UK passport is lost/stolen, not having to go through the whole process of proving citizenship from scratch.

Registering the birth means you can just get a birth cert from the births/deaths register in the UK, for minimal cost. You don't need a copy of the certificate when you register the birth if you want to save some money, especially if you're going to be in the UK at some point where you can pick up a copy for a fiver or whatever it is these days, but certainly a lot less than getting one from the US.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 11:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking of this from a contrary point of view, have you considered the implications of your baby being a US citizen? The biggest negative is the he/she will be taxed by the US no matter where they live and will have to file US taxes and comply with US foreign account regulations. If your baby ever lives in the UK as an adult this will be a pain in the neck if they have a pension or own UK investments. Of course being dual US/UK does allow them to live and work in US and EU.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Thinking of this from a contrary point of view, have you considered the implications of your baby being a US citizen? The biggest negative is the he/she will be taxed by the US no matter where they live and will have to file US taxes and comply with US foreign account regulations.
File US taxes, not necessarily pay US taxes.

The paperwork issues are certainly not insurmountable, just different, particularly if "you" have never previously been exposed to annual tax paperwork. It's all about comfort zones, needing to learn about something different and such like.

(I grew up in Australia where I completed and filed my first tax return at age 16. This is the norm as personal tax returns/filing/submissions are compulsory. )
Old Oct 12th 2011, 11:54 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
File US taxes, not necessarily pay US taxes.
Yes that's a good distinction.

However, it's not just a paperwork issue. There are US regulations that limit the investment options of US citizens abroad eg. investments in UK unit trusts and with FATCA there may be difficulties and extra charges to open UK bank accounts and investment accounts
Old Oct 12th 2011, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

taxpayers with foreign accounts and assets with an aggregate value exceeding $50,000 to report them on an informational return. It is unclear whether the $50,000 threshold applies if the balance of foreign accounts and assets exceeds $50,000 at the end of the tax year or at any time during the tax year, as in the case of the FBAR $10,000 requirement. FATCA’s provisions of IRC § 6038D apply to assets held during tax years beginning after March 18, 2010.

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/...0/Aug/20102736
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to bump an old thread... getting myself very confused! We are trying to work out what to do with my son regarding his UK citizenship (born in the US but husband and I are both British). We will obviously apply for his US passport, but is there any time critical urgency to doing the UK passport or birth registration? What would happen if we didn't do anything at all to get him a UK passport or register his birth... and he decided he wanted to live in the UK when he was older?
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
What would happen if we didn't do anything at all to get him a UK passport or register his birth... and he decided he wanted to live in the UK when he was older?
He would have to prove his claim to UK citizenship - which might be difficult without any documented proof. There is no "time critical urgency"... but the sooner, the better. Securing documented proof of your son's status a UKC is probably a good birthday present for him.

Ian
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian. I think he would prefer teething rings or an annoying singing toy to be honest but I suppose we'd better get onto it
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He would have to prove his claim to UK citizenship - which might be difficult without any documented proof. There is no "time critical urgency"... but the sooner, the better. Securing documented proof of your son's status a UKC is probably a good birthday present for him.

Ian
Depends how the parents got UK citizenship, if they had gotten it through decent, then there is some time critical issues, but if they got it otherwise than by decent, there isn't anything time critical.

Getting the US birth certificate within 3 months of birth certainly helps though.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

So if I was to get him a first passport, is that sufficient for him to be registered with the necessary agencies? (ie can I then let the passport lapse and not keep renewing it?) Looks like the passport is cheaper than registering the birth.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 6:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NatashaB
So if I was to get him a first passport, is that sufficient for him to be registered with the necessary agencies? (ie can I then let the passport lapse and not keep renewing it?) Looks like the passport is cheaper than registering the birth.
If he lost the passport, or if it expires and not renewed within 10 years, maybe less for a kids, then would need to go through proof of UK citizenship all over again.

If you register the birth with the embassy, you don't need to actually get the certificate, you can get that for a fiver or whatever at any births/deaths registry in the UK while on a visit.

Also don't need to bother with a UK passport as the US one will be all he needs to travel on, for now at least.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:04 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

The Sproutlet turns 1 in a week or so but we never bothered getting her a UK birth certificate, figuring that she'd only eat it if we did.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Most secure approach to document citizenship for the long term is to get a consular birth certificate and at least a first British passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.