Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British bank accounts in the USA

British bank accounts in the USA

Old Jul 25th 2007, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default British bank accounts in the USA

I know a few US expats have retained their British bank accounts and have any correspondance (statements etc) sent to their USA addresses.

What I want to know is if I change my Barclays account address to my USA address from my UK address will they send me new/replacement debit and credit cards to my US address?

I dont want to be in the situation where I am in the USA and cant get a replacement debit/credit card sent to my US address.

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British bank accounts in the USA

Yes, I get a monthly statement and about 6 weeks ago, my new debit card sent out here. That was with HSBC.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rushman
What I want to know is if I change my Barclays account address to my USA address from my UK address will they send me new/replacement debit and credit cards to my US address?
Yes - I have a Barclays account and have had statements, cards etc sent here for the past 10 years.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I know a few US expats have retained their British bank accounts and have any correspondance (statements etc) sent to their USA addresses.

I dont want to be in the situation where I am in the USA and cant get a replacement debit/credit card sent to my US address.

We have received our bank statements without problems for the past 6 years.

We USED to have no problems getting cards and cheque-books - until recently. Despite writing and phoning we would not get either - even though they kept assuring us that they had been ordered and sent. In the end we had to have them sent to our branch, from where we collected them on our next visit.

We never found out what exactly happened but assume that some kind of stop mechanism was activated by the US address.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

no problem with barclays or alliance and leicester.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Lovely jubbly. Thanks folks
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays and HSBC will send you cards no problems...trying to email them to order a new card without calling to save a few pennies for international calls takes a bit of doing, but can be done, takes a few weeks though
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:27 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased you brought that up mine expires end of next month my Barclay Bank card need to make sure it is on the way.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...M&S will also mail their card to your US address.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is plain spooky I was going to post and ask the very same question! The other question I have is, I want to add my US hubby to my UK (Barclays) account will there be any hassle in doing that? I plan on taking our marriage cert over with us in Oct and doing it in person. Has anyone else done this?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Wow that is plain spooky I was going to post and ask the very same question! The other question I have is, I want to add my US hubby to my UK (Barclays) account will there be any hassle in doing that? I plan on taking our marriage cert over with us in Oct and doing it in person. Has anyone else done this?
Yes, I anticipate that this will indeed be a huge hassle.

Do I understand you correctly, you were planning to do this without him even being present? I'd say your chances are probably zero. AFAIK he would have to be with you, and have all kinds of ID, and proof of legal residency in the UK, including utility bills or council tax in his name.

I would check out the banking section at uk-yankee - lots of people's problems documented there.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I tried this to add my wife ..but as she was not a resident
they could not do it ... But I found a way ... will PM you
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Yes, I anticipate that this will indeed be a huge hassle.

Do I understand you correctly, you were planning to do this without him even being present? I'd say your chances are probably zero. AFAIK he would have to be with you, and have all kinds of ID, and proof of legal residency in the UK, including utility bills or council tax in his name.

I would check out the banking section at uk-yankee - lots of people's problems documented there.
my hubby would be with me, that was why I was waiting till we went over.

Ray has kindly fowarded me some info so hopefully I can get it figured out.

Ash
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:40 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

LloydsTSB send me cards no problem. They used to insist on overnighting them to me and having me call back to verify, but they've since got lazy and just use regular mail now.