Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British bacon in Arizona?

British bacon in Arizona?

Old Apr 8th 2016, 8:37 pm
Cambridge / Philly.

NoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond reputeNoOfficialComment has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British bacon in Arizona?

I have been curing my own bacon here in the UK. Belly and loin (with the attached belly tail).

Right now in my firdge I have a loin curing with a maple cure and a belly curing wth a pommegranate molasses cure...that one is a total random test so who knows how it'll taste!

It is exceptionaly easy, cost effective and yeilds far superior bacon the most shop bought. I would have to buy artisan cured bacon to get something better.

However in the US (as Pulaski rightly says earlier) pigs are butchered differently and you would have to be very friendly with a butcher to get them to provide you with the correct cut for UK middle bacon. A set of of pork chops then deboned might cut it.

As for me, once I've moved in 3 weeks I will continue to do belly and loin and just accept that the loin is...well just that: loin. On the plus side, I have a smoker waiting for me that should add a nice new dimension to my cures.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 6:19 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

For bangers you could try schreiners
http://www.schreinerssausage.com//
They are at 7th St and Osborne in Phoenix
Old Apr 9th 2016, 7:19 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me started on sausages and brats, a thread devoted to them beckons...
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Tinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura about

Sorry I don't visit this board very often these days.
My wife coached these guys into producing great unsmoked British style bacon.
http://www.themeatshopaz.com
Originally Posted by iwc2ufan
I am in the Phoenix area, in Chandler in particular, and my husband has been craving a proper bacon sandwich for a few months now. Obviously, streaky bacon isn't quite right for this. Does anyone know where the British cut of bacon is available locally? Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 11:42 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

This is my go to www.parkersbritishinstitution.com - bacon, bangers, black pudding and pork pies. The shipping is pricey but you might as well fill a big box and have it once or twice a year.