British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Airways Staff to Strike (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-airways-staff-strike-249568/)

Englishmum Aug 18th 2004 7:13 pm

British Airways Staff to Strike
 
I've already posted this link on "The Lounge" board, but just in case you haven't seen it, you might be interested if you are travelling in late August or having relatives coming over to visit:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...strike?source=

justboy Aug 18th 2004 8:54 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've already posted this link on "The Lounge" board, but just in case you haven't seen it, you might be interested if you are travelling in late August or having relatives coming over to visit:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...strike?source=

BA summer strikes are becoming an annual occasion!

Yorkieabroad Aug 19th 2004 11:44 am

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 

Originally Posted by justboy
BA summer strikes are becoming an annual occasion!

I'm sure they only do it to keep within their annual customer complaints quota.....

sibsie Aug 19th 2004 3:50 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 
United at Heathrow have voted to strike too. No date set for the walk out but they're meeting again next Tues to decide on a date.

shania20 Aug 20th 2004 6:04 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 

Originally Posted by sibsie
United at Heathrow have voted to strike too. No date set for the walk out but they're meeting again next Tues to decide on a date.

United Airlines have confirmed the date of the strike as 27th Aug, the same date as BA. It will commence at 4.30am on 27th, initially for 24 hours.

United also handle contracts for Emirates, Air New Zealand and BWIA, so these flights will also be affected.

If the strike goes ahead, there will be no staff to meet the incoming flights either.

shania20 Aug 20th 2004 7:12 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 

Originally Posted by shania20
United Airlines have confirmed the date of the strike as 27th Aug, the same date as BA. It will commence at 4.30am on 27th, initially for 24 hours.

United also handle contracts for Emirates, Air New Zealand and BWIA, so these flights will also be affected.

If the strike goes ahead, there will be no staff to meet the incoming flights either.


Just to clarify, "handle contracts" means United provide the ground staff for those airlines - so their planes won't be going anywhere either!!!

sibsie Aug 20th 2004 7:30 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 
I seriously hope the United strike doesn't go ahead. My parents are coming over around then. It'll cripple UAL who have problems enough already. I got stuck at LHR for five days during the last United summer of discontent. :(

Englishmum Aug 20th 2004 7:36 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 
Don't forget that British Airways is part of the "One World" alliance so any strike action will probably affect the alliance carriers as well (connecting flights, baggage handling etc).

The One World partners are:

American Airlines, BA, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Aer Lingus, Iberia, Finnair and Lan Chile.

shania20 Aug 20th 2004 8:09 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 

Originally Posted by sibsie
I seriously hope the United strike doesn't go ahead. My parents are coming over around then. It'll cripple UAL who have problems enough already. I got stuck at LHR for five days during the last United summer of discontent. :(


Hi Sibsie

By summer of discontent do you mean 9/11? That was not uniteds fault. They have never gone on strike before.

Uniteds problems arent as severe as you might think - the USA staff have had plenty in their payrise, and bonuses, but unfortunately london staff are treated as poor relations, even though they work at the worlds busiest airport. Staying in chapter 11 is convenient at this time - as they are using it to renege (sp?) on deals for payrise agreed to last year. United management are punishing their passengers by not being honest and loyal to their own staff.

I hope your parents are ok if it does go ahead. Fingers crossed for you. x

honeymommy Aug 20th 2004 10:56 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 
Just been on the news here in UK.

BA not taking any bookings for next weekend under the circumstances.... Yup..... if you allready booked a flight in advance ya screwed........ :rolleyes:

Englishmum Aug 21st 2004 2:31 am

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 
BA has announced that the strike will not now take place:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...lightops_en_us

Bob Aug 21st 2004 4:08 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 
Knew it, all bluff and no balls....
The strike is off....
Only decent thing about being employed by BA is the power of their union, it's f'ing huge

shania20 Aug 22nd 2004 12:14 am

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 

Originally Posted by Bob
Knew it, all bluff and no balls....
The strike is off....
Only decent thing about being employed by BA is the power of their union, it's f'ing huge



So far United Airlines strike still going ahead on 27th August. If you're travelling United, Emirates, BWIA or Air New Zealand out of Heathrow you will be affected. Also, if you are flying into Heathrow on any of those airlines you will be affected.

Manc Aug 22nd 2004 6:33 pm

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 

Originally Posted by shania20
So far United Airlines strike still going ahead on 27th August. If you're travelling United, Emirates, BWIA or Air New Zealand out of Heathrow you will be affected. Also, if you are flying into Heathrow on any of those airlines you will be affected.

and BMI

shania20 Aug 23rd 2004 1:23 am

Re: British Airways Staff to Strike
 

Originally Posted by Manc
and BMI



Hi Manc

What do you mean, and BMI?


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:20 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.