Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Airways airmiles GRRRRR!!!!

British Airways airmiles GRRRRR!!!!

Old May 9th 2005, 5:30 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Airways airmiles GRRRRR!!!!

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Used to be true, alas an urban legend now. The "More Room Through Coach" (MRTC) is history. AA are back the the industry standard seat pitch (31" IIRC). They have subtly been putting seat rows back in coach and removing the MRTC logos from napkins, advertising and cabin announcements. More details of "Less Room Through Coach" as it is know on flyertalk.com.

- Tim

Yup, the only way to get a decent economy seat is to book one of those premium economy seats. Slight improvement over regular economy.
Old May 9th 2005, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Was talking to a woman from Boeing and AA do actually have more legroom in economy than BA - bear in mind BA have 4 classes now - god knows why!
Old May 9th 2005, 10:48 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Airmiles arent great, but as has been eluded to, the BA Credit Card gives 15,000 upon your first purchase and then 1 for every $ spent.

An easy why to keep the miles ticking over.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Big D
Was talking to a woman from Boeing and AA do actually have more legroom in economy than BA - bear in mind BA have 4 classes now - god knows why!
actually can agree with big d - the steerage class legroom on an AA 777 i took last fall from BOS to LHR was far superior to that of BA or Virgin 747's. Virgin was the worst as far as legroom goes, and the best with service.
Old May 10th 2005, 12:37 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: British Airways airmiles GRRRRR!!!!

Originally Posted by silvermine
actually can agree with big d - the steerage class legroom on an AA 777 i took last fall from BOS to LHR was far superior to that of BA or Virgin 747's. Virgin was the worst as far as legroom goes, and the best with service.
Unfortunately AA is eliminating the 'more room in coach' on atlantic and pacific routes for the 777s throughout 2005 and re-installing extra seats in economy class.

Enjoy and savour the extra space while you can!

My worst ever flights (with any airline) have been with the Continental Airlines flights between EWR-BHX (Newark, NJ and B'ham, UK). There isn't even any extra space in the emergency exit row - I kid you not. It's unbelievably cramped on this narrow-bodied jet (3x3 configuration and only one aisle) they use the Boeing 757-200 for this segment which is really intended for domestic routes, not transatlantic. There are no individual TVs and the flight attendants are the most miserable cabin crew I've ever encountered. The odd thing is they have 2 flights a day on this route, departing within 2 hours of each other.

Despite B'ham airport being 20 mins from my mum's house and Newark airport being 15-20 mins from my house, I now fly into LHR and drive up the M40 rather than fly with crappy Continental....

Last edited by Englishmum; May 10th 2005 at 12:43 am.
Old May 10th 2005, 11:07 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Unfortunately AA is eliminating the 'more room in coach' on atlantic and pacific routes for the 777s throughout 2005 and re-installing extra seats in economy class.

Enjoy and savour the extra space while you can!

My worst ever flights (with any airline) have been with the Continental Airlines flights between EWR-BHX (Newark, NJ and B'ham, UK). There isn't even any extra space in the emergency exit row - I kid you not. It's unbelievably cramped on this narrow-bodied jet (3x3 configuration and only one aisle) they use the Boeing 757-200 for this segment which is really intended for domestic routes, not transatlantic. There are no individual TVs and the flight attendants are the most miserable cabin crew I've ever encountered. The odd thing is they have 2 flights a day on this route, departing within 2 hours of each other.

Despite B'ham airport being 20 mins from my mum's house and Newark airport being 15-20 mins from my house, I now fly into LHR and drive up the M40 rather than fly with crappy Continental....

Last time I flew to Brum-I flew DL and AF to CDG and Flybee over. Impressed with Flybee-an hour flight and a meal was served !!
Old May 10th 2005, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

too bad they are taking away a small comfort for the economy passengers, in favour of greed..
see they have eliminated that advertising off their website.

so, they better have lower prices than the others because their service is for
%%##
Old May 10th 2005, 4:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: British Airways airmiles GRRRRR!!!!

Originally Posted by silvermine
too bad they are taking away a small comfort for the economy passengers, in favour of greed..
see they have eliminated that advertising off their website.

so, they better have lower prices than the others because their service is for
%%##
I think all of the US airlines now charge passengers for alcoholic drinks on board too in economy class on their intercontinental routes - I think each drink (eg. small beer) costs at least $5-$6 ...

The British scheduled airlines (BA, Virgin, British Midland) don't charge for beers or wine. I have no idea though about the charter airlines like Monarch, Airtours, Thomas Cook which fly to Florida (Orlando-Sanford).
Old May 10th 2005, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

I think all of the US airlines now charge passengers for alcoholic drinks on board too in economy class on their intercontinental routes - I think each drink (eg. small beer) costs at least $5-$6 ...

The British scheduled airlines (BA, Virgin, British Midland) don't charge for beers or wine. I have no idea though about the charter airlines like Monarch, Airtours, Thomas Cook which fly to Florida (Orlando-Sanford).
yes, on AA they charge economy passengers $5 per drink, free for biz and 1st class. i can see it on domestic routes but on international ??
and they take away more legroom? .. bibi, sayonara, au revoir AA..
(end of rant )
Old May 11th 2005, 1:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
So how do BA remain so successful in the US->UK market then?
BA makes 80% of it's money on those 20 first class seats...
Old May 11th 2005, 1:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'd really like to know how the service and legroom compares for the carriers who fly into the UK from the US. I must say BA were far superior to any domestic AA flight I've taken, even long-haul ones. Hadn't even heard of BMI until this thread; have heard of Virgin, of course, Continental, and the various European carriers.
Virgin are excellent....

One thing to consider though...safety records and level of training given, in event of a crash, I know I'd rather it with someone that works for BA or Virgin, the training is pretty extensive, certainly compared to British Midlands, Qatar Air, Gulf Air, Alitalia...
Old May 11th 2005, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Virgin are excellent....

One thing to consider though...safety records and level of training given, in event of a crash, I know I'd rather it with someone that works for BA or Virgin, the training is pretty extensive, certainly compared to British Midlands, Qatar Air, Gulf Air, Alitalia...
How many recent plane crashed have you seen where people walk away from the wreck?. And I mean big passenger planes, not a piddly little propeller engined two seater. If the planes going down, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.
Old May 11th 2005, 2:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
How many recent plane crashed have you seen where people walk away from the wreck?. And I mean big passenger planes, not a piddly little propeller engined two seater. If the planes going down, put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.
Yes and no. You have a chance at an Atlantic sea ditch, depending on *why* the plane would be going down.
Old May 11th 2005, 3:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
That's true...but still, if anything goes wrong with a plane, not just crash senarios, the flight crew still have more training, and more importantly, have regular re-fresher courses...
Old May 11th 2005, 4:06 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
BA makes 80% of it's money on those 20 first class seats...
What an interesting thread this turned out to be!

When I flew Virgin in early 2000, the flight was 10% full, on purpose. We were carrying some heavy freight and they'd positioned us all very precissely in the cabin to get the best loading adjustment. Can't think of the proper technical term, sorry. Once we'd burnt off a certain amount of fuel and were at altitude, we could sit where we wanted. One woman managed to snag all five middle seats to herself. That's my kind of flight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.