British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Actors moving to the States (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-actors-moving-states-893528/)

g1ant Mar 12th 2017 5:57 am

Re: British Actors moving to the States

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12200289)
I sat next to Roger Daltrey, May 1996, at the US Embassy in London. He was waiting for an interview for an US visa...he too had received no preferential treatment.

Who???

vikingsail Mar 12th 2017 7:30 am

Originally Posted by g1ant (Post 12202745)
Who???

He won't get fooled again!

kimilseung Mar 12th 2017 9:57 pm

On a related note. The Italian band "Soviet Soviet" were recently booted out of the States after arriving on ESTA with the plan to play promotional gigs without fee. I am seeing on line in many places horror at this story (Trump seems to take a lot of the blame), despite to the best of my knowledge that work (paid or unpaid) is not allowed on the visa waiver program.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 13th 2017 1:08 am

On Tuesday, prominent immigration attorney Brian Taylor Goldstein, whose practice is centered on working with artists seeking to tour the U.S., published a lengthy article advising international musicians about the current — and shifting — challenges regarding immigration policy under the Trump administration. Goldstein wrote:

"Given that the new Order specifically requires heightened vetting and screening of those 'who seek to enter the United States on a fraudulent basis', there is going to be even more scrutiny and less forgiveness than ever before with regard to artists attempting to enter the US on visitor visas (B-1/B-2) or through the Visa Waiver Program ('ESTA'). We are already receiving reports of artists being held and detained for hours upon entering the US to determine whether or not they are performing. Even artists entering as visitors for the purpose of attending a conference or 'performing a showcase' are being pulled aside and, in many cases, being refused entry. Artists entering with B-1/B-2 visas or through the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA) are being pulled aside the moment they say that they are 'entertainers', 'performers', or 'artists.' ... In short, an Immigration Officer has the unfettered authority and discretion to deny entry to any artist from any nationality for any reason. To what extent this authority will be exercised remains to be seen."
In a more hotly contested portion of his post, Goldstein also said that ESTA and visitor visas don't provide artists enough cover, even for unpaid work, and that their continued use by bands could spur serious consequences:

"Artists cannot perform on visitor visas (B-1/B-2) or through the Visa Waiver Program ("ESTA") regardless of whether or not they are being paid and regarding of whether or not tickets are sold. Except in the most narrowly defined circumstances, US immigration law has always defined "work" as it pertains to artists, as any kind of performance. Artists denied entry on the basis of fraud, will have a denied entry on their record, impeding future visas and travel."
Goldstein instead urged visiting bands to get "O" or "P" work visas designed for working entertainers.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2017 1:13 am

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12202770)
He won't get fooled again!

We knew it all along!

RICH Mar 15th 2017 3:52 am

It seems to me lately, every new TV show I watch has a Brit actor, quite often the star. I am a bit out of touch so do IMDB, and find they were in Eastenders or something. Lucifer, Ransom and Taken come to mind, but others too.

Pulaski Mar 15th 2017 4:07 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12204932)
It seems to me lately, every new TV show I watch has a Brit actor, quite often the star. I am a bit out of touch so do IMDB, and find they were in Eastenders or something. Lucifer, Ransom and Taken come to mind, but others too.

This isn't exactly news - Roger Rees was in Cheers, Ian McShane was in Dynasty, Deadwood, and a number of other TV shows, and Hugh Laurie starred in House. .... British actors have been popping up in American TV shows for almost as long as there's been TV. Before that there was Stan Laurel and Charlie Chaplin, among others, in Hollywood films.

Dorothy Mar 15th 2017 4:10 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12204932)

The Affair. Two of the 4 lead actors are British. Dominic West and Ruth Wilson are both English

RICH Mar 15th 2017 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12204934)
This isn't exactly news - Roger Rees was in Cheers, Ian McShane was in Dynasty, Deadwood, and a number of other TV shows, and Hugh Laurie starred in House. .... British actors have been popping up in American TV shows for almost as long as there's been TV. Before that there was Stan Laurel and Charlie Chaplin, among others, in Hollywood films.

I said Lately. Hardly a current mainstream show without one. I forgot to mention the ladies in Conviction, Blindspot, Pure Genius. I have to admit, never heard of Roger Rees!

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 15th 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12204936)
I said Lately. Hardly a current mainstream show without one. I forgot to mention the ladies in Conviction, Blindspot, Pure Genius. I have to admit, never heard of Roger Rees!

You have to have the token Brit. It's the law!

moneypenny20 Mar 15th 2017 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12204972)
You have to have the token Brit. It's the law!

Who else would play the bad guy?

scrubbedexpat097 Mar 15th 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 12205057)
Who else would play the bad guy?

Exactly. The day of the bad Russians has gone....:lol::sneaky: