Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Actors moving to the States

British Actors moving to the States

Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Come Ere Butt will become famous soon enough
Default British Actors moving to the States

This doesn't apply to my situation at all, it's just something I've often pondered but never really asked anyone about!

It seems with actors from the UK who decide to move to the US, have a lot easier time/less obstacles than people from other industries. Is this because the rule where companies have to prove why an American can't do the job is exempt? Possibly due to the nature of acting roles which can be more bespoke and harder to fill?

I'm guessing the British actors who do move to LA have already got themselves an agent who sign the necessary paperwork?

Any actors here who've made the leap? Did you know anyone who had a good/bad experience?

Thanks guys and I appreciate it's a random subject.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Actors moving to the States

There are better visa options - performance and exceptional talent visas that can be applied relatively easily to an actor's situation.

As I understand it, actors have a harder time with the Equity union restrictions (both US and UK) than getting a visa - which is why Broadway and West End shows that "transfer" rarely do so with more than one or two of their leading actors.

Also, as I suspect happens in some cases, successful performers simply "buy a greencard" using EB-5 (cost starting at $500k, plus approximately $60k of fees). I remember hearing back in the 1980's that Mark Knopfler had bought an apartment building, in Los Angeles I think, and I have long suspected that there were reasons for it other than purely financial reasons.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 6th 2017 at 9:40 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are better visa options - performance and exceptional talent visas that can be applied relatively easily to an actor's situation.

As I understand it, actors have a harder time with the Equity union restrictions (both US and UK) than getting a visa - which is why Broadway and West End shows that "transfer" rarely do so with more than one or two of their leading actors.

Also, as I suspect happens in some cases, successful performers simply "buy a greencard" using EB-5 (cost starting at $500k, plus approximately $60k of fees). I remember hearing back in the 1980's that Mark Knopfler had bought an apartment building, in Los Angeles I think, and I have long suspected that there were reasons for it other than purely financial reasons.
Adam Ant aka Stuart Goddard went through his Green Card appointment and physical the same day as us. He had been waiting almost as long as we did for the interview date and he didn't get any preferentail treatment either. He was actually a really friendly guy. He wished us luck when he left the building. Our 9 and 10 year old were star struck
Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe a lot of actors looking for jobs come over on Visa Waiver, get to go to lots of auditions. If they get a role then the Studio will deal with the paper work (probably an O visa

Several actors and comedians I follow on Twitter & Instagram seem to be in the US for less than 90 days
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:53 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK - 'Established' (as in have been in some stuff) Actors/Actresses can obtain their visa via their talent management agency (like CAA, ICM, WME.etc .etc) that effectively sponsor them. The visa process is slightly different pending how high profile/talented the individual is, but USCIS can and will contact the production company (not necessarily a studio per-se) for endorsement/verification.

- My source for this information was from an interesting article I read in The Hollywood Reporter a year or so ago.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Adam Ant aka Stuart Goddard went through his Green Card appointment and physical the same day as us. He had been waiting almost as long as we did for the interview date and he didn't get any preferentail treatment either. He was actually a really friendly guy. He wished us luck when he left the building. Our 9 and 10 year old were star struck
I sat next to Roger Daltrey, May 1996, at the US Embassy in London. He was waiting for an interview for an US visa...he too had received no preferential treatment.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I sat next to Roger Daltrey, May 1996, at the US Embassy in London. He was waiting for an interview for an US visa...he too had received no preferential treatment.
I met Richard Bacon there about a year ago. They'd turned down his first application and had consequently lost a job
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
I met Richard Bacon there about a year ago. They'd turned down his first application and had consequently lost a job
Who? We left the UK in '96. If you had said Kevin Bacon I would have known who you meant.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
Doesn't he have a drug conviction?
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:23 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember something about a performers name having to be bigger than the shows name, as a rule of thumb if they can move with the show. But this maybe is completely apocryphal.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 1:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Who? We left the UK in '96. If you had said Kevin Bacon I would have known who you meant.
I just checked him out on IMDB and I'm none the wiser

But I guess there are a lot of people we are unaware of that are well known now.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Doesn't he have a drug conviction?
Never heard of him. According to IMDb biggest claim to fame is getting kicked off Blue Peter for snorting coke.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 7:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
Never heard of him. According to IMDb biggest claim to fame is getting kicked off Blue Peter for snorting coke.
I knew drugs were involved somewhere. Do the US need a drug conviction or does being splashed all over the UK media do the same thing?
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reason to believe can be enough to refuse a visa.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Richard Bacon was part of Blue Peter for a long time until he was caught on camera snorting cocaine. I thought the same thing when I saw him with a TV show here. Although he was fired I can't see any info on him actually getting convicted of drug use so maybe that's the loophole that got him a visa. Though how he got away with not being at least arrested after the video evidence came up puzzles me. Anyway!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.