Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Accounting graduate needs to move to New York...Some help please!!!

British Accounting graduate needs to move to New York...Some help please!!!

Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

mazebio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Accounting graduate needs to move to New York...Some help please!!!

Hello!

My name is Mazlin. I have just graduated (July 2009) from a university in the UK with a degree in accounting and financial mgt... I am now trying to pursue an accounting career in the states.

I am currently privately studying for an ACA qualification in the UK (whilst working as a fireman), but I am aware that the accounting qualification for the USA is the CPA and from what I have heard and read the USA does not really accept foreign qualifications (rendering my ACA and degree useless!)

Can anyone offer any advice on how I should go about my move to the states??

My best option in my view seems to be to apply to graduate positions in multinationals companies and then try to move abroad after a few years?? (I am a bit wary of the risk here though, i.e what if the multinational company simply declines my request to move abroad??..i will be committed to a company and qualification i have no interest in)

A few people have suggested marrying an American national (but i am only 21!, i dont think i am really ready for that sort of commitment!) I have got an aunty in New York, I dont know if that would aid visa applications??

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Accounting graduate needs to move to New York...Some help please!!!

Originally Posted by mazebio
Do a search in the Wiki Guide here on this site for the article called "Pulaski's Ways...". That will list all the available visas to the USA. See if you fit into any of those categories now or seem like you can work towards in the future.

My best option in my view seems to be to apply to graduate positions in multinationals companies and then try to move abroad after a few years?? (I am a bit wary of the risk here though, i.e what if the multinational company simply declines my request to move abroad??..i will be committed to a company and qualification i have no interest in)
This is a popular way for people to come to the USA, yes. You would just have to take your chances and work towards getting them to transfer you to the USA. If it's not a job you really want with that particular company anyway, you might not want to try this route, since as you say, if they never transfer you, you'll end up uninterested in keeping the position.

A few people have suggested marrying an American national (but i am only 21!, i dont think i am really ready for that sort of commitment!)
Quite right!

I have got an aunty in New York, I dont know if that would aid visa applications??
No, unfortuantely an Aunt is not an immediate relative, and therefore cannot sponsor you for an immigrant visa.

You can look into doing your higher education in the USA, that seems to work for a lot of people. Or perhaps if your field does internships, there is a visa for that, I believe.

Rene
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Accounting graduate needs to move to New York...Some help please!!!

Can anyone offer any advice on how I should go about my move to the states?
There are only so many ways to do what you want. Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA. If there is no visa that fits the bill, there's no way you're going to be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor.

I have got an aunty in New York, I dont know if that would aid visa applications??
No... sorry.

Ian
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Hello!

My name is Mazlin. I have just graduated (July 2009) from a university in the UK with a degree in accounting and financial mgt... I am now trying to pursue an accounting career in the states.

I am currently privately studying for an ACA qualification in the UK (whilst working as a fireman), but I am aware that the accounting qualification for the USA is the CPA and from what I have heard and read the USA does not really accept foreign qualifications (rendering my ACA and degree useless!)

A few people have suggested marrying an American national (but i am only 21!, i dont think i am really ready for that sort of commitment!) I have got an aunty in New York, I dont know if that would aid visa applications??

Thanks a lot!
Don't you need to be working in practice to become ACA qualified? If you do become qualified the US is moving towards IFRS so that will definitely help you. I'm CIMA qualified and with a bit of elaboration about CIMA on my resume and in interviews I've started working out here in a management position similar to what I was doing in the UK (I'm married to a USC). I think the fact the CFO was British and so knew what CIMA was helped greatly. Or maybe I was just lucky!

I know several people who have gone the route of working for a multinational and then transferring (both in accountancy practices and working in industry), several good friends in fact. To me that seems the strongest possibility for you.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you "need" to move to NY?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:01 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Thanks a lot!
I'm CIMA too, we moved here with my husbands job and finding work for me was very difficult.

It probably didn't help that I didn't go to university, left school got a job, and studied AAT and CIMA while working full time. So when it came to writing resume's nobody really understood.

I found once I got infront of people it was easier to explain, and they were actually quite impressed that most people get their accountancy qualifications while working FT.

As far as jobs go there appear to be alot of out of work accountants here with very few jobs being advertised

Its not a field that would qualify you for a visa, I'm quite surprised the previous poster knows so many people who have managed to transfer on an L visa, I really can't imagine how the companies managed to justify it

Originally Posted by paul_79
Don't you need to be working in practice to become ACA qualified? If you do become qualified the US is moving towards IFRS so that will definitely help you. I'm CIMA qualified and with a bit of elaboration about CIMA on my resume and in interviews I've started working out here in a management position similar to what I was doing in the UK (I'm married to a USC). I think the fact the CFO was British and so knew what CIMA was helped greatly. Or maybe I was just lucky!

I know several people who have gone the route of working for a multinational and then transferring (both in accountancy practices and working in industry), several good friends in fact. To me that seems the strongest possibility for you.
I'm really surprised you know so many people who have managed to transfer on an L visa, I can't imagine how the companies managed to justify it
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Accounting firms like PwC encourage their employees to work for them in different countries.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Thanks a lot!
I'm 27 and moved to NYC 18 months ago. I personally know around 15 other English people here...and every single one moved here WITH a company after working for them in their London office. I'd say that this is overwhelmingly your best option.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Company transfer or marriage are the best options, and you'd need a few years experience realistically to have a chance...big expense and all that.

Could always come to the US to study, but that's not a cheap option.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:08 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I'm 27 and moved to NYC 18 months ago. I personally know around 15 other English people here...and every single one moved here WITH a company after working for them in their London office. I'd say that this is overwhelmingly your best option.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just mystified as to how it happens. Inter-co transfer visas are supposedly for specialized work that someone in the states can't do. I just don't get how being an accountant could ever qualify for this
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just mystified as to how it happens. Inter-co transfer visas are supposedly for specialized work that someone in the states can't do.
The "can't do" part does not apply to the L visa (nonimmigrant) although it can be an issue at green card stage.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
The "can't do" part does not apply to the L visa (nonimmigrant) although it can be an issue at green card stage.
Didn't realize that. When we came through the L route, part of the application process was proving that an American couldn't do the job so assumed it was part of the visa qualification. Sorry
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:13 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Why do you "need" to move to NY?
A lot of people use "need" and "want" interchangeably; it's one of my pet peeves.
But after re-reading the OP, I wonder too... why pursue a career you have no interest in to move to a place you might not get into?
And my DH the retired UK fireman reminds me how much I love his pension and what a rewarding career it was for him.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 4:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Accounting firms like PwC encourage their employees to work for them in different countries.
My husband was a partner...that was our road into the US.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Didn't realize that. When we came through the L route, part of the application process was proving that an American couldn't do the job so assumed it was part of the visa qualification.
Labor market testing is not part of the L visa requirements. Specialized skills/knowledge or executive/managerial knowledge are.

Rules have not changed in recent times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.