British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British accents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-accents-436248/)

Irn-bru Mar 22nd 2007 11:47 pm

Re: British accents

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4546530)
Some woman told my fiance "oh I just looooove your accent, I could eat it up with a spoon!"

I think he started backing slowly away...

Ah the Scottish accent ...the problem we have...being too nice and lovely to listen too..the spell we cast is a burden we just have to bear :lol:

Jerseygirl Mar 23rd 2007 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4549386)
Ah the Scottish accent ...the problem we have...being too nice and lovely to listen too..the spell we cast is a burden we just have to bear :lol:

I love the Scottish accent...so sexy.

Tracym Mar 23rd 2007 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4549577)

Oh yeah!!!! And I don't mean Irn-bru's (lol sorry you're not my type). Now my sweet Scottish lad.... yep.. yep...

Irn-bru Mar 23rd 2007 12:46 am

Everyone except mine, as a weird mixture of Irish and southern Scotland, very low in decibel, I hate hearing myself speak :o :D
I love Desmonds' accent out of Lost..so sexy he has me:wub: :wub: :wub:
http://tviv.org/Lost/Desmond

Irn-bru Mar 23rd 2007 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4549582)
Oh yeah!!!! And I don't mean Irn-bru's (lol sorry you're not my type).

I'm heartbroken :(

:lol:

Tracym Mar 23rd 2007 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4549587)
I'm heartbroken :(

:lol:

Better than being horrified - if I'd said you were :p

Tracym Mar 23rd 2007 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4549586)
Everyone except mine, as a weird mixture of Irish and southern Scotland, very low in decibel, I hate hearing myself speak :o :D
I love Desmonds' accent out of Lost..so sexy he has me:wub: :wub: :wub:
http://tviv.org/Lost/Desmond

Oh, now how about a nice strong Glaswegan accent?

lolol we met a guy from there years and years ago in Germany, and I think the only words were ever were understood were his name (maybe) and "BEER!"

Irn-bru Mar 23rd 2007 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4549593)
Oh, now how about a nice strong Glaswegan accent?

lolol we met a guy from there years and years ago in Germany, and I think the only words were ever were understood were his name (maybe) and "BEER!"

Glaswegian isn't strong (well I luv that accent so don't think it's strong or I'm just used to it :D )
now take someone from the northern Islands. Some of them I haven't a clue what they are talking about!

Tracym Mar 23rd 2007 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4549606)
Glaswegian isn't strong (well I luv that accent so don't think it's strong or I'm just used to it :D )
now take someone from the northern Islands. Some of them I haven't a clue what they are talking about!

Well maybe I have it wrong. It think it was not an educated person. Well whoever he was, he was quite nice and we couldn't understand a word he said.

Hmmm... maybe part was the beer...

Irn-bru Mar 23rd 2007 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4549616)
Well maybe I have it wrong. It think it was not an educated person. Well whoever he was, he was quite nice and we couldn't understand a word he said.

Hmmm... maybe part was the beer...

I can understand any American having problems with a broad Scottish accent :)
Did the guy say he was from Glasgow?

Tracym Mar 23rd 2007 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4549618)
I can understand any American having problems with a broad Scottish accent :)
Did the guy say he was from Glasgow?

Oh yes, the in-laws-to-be are fun on the phone sometimes.

When I was telling Keith how the man pronounced his name and things, he said he sounded Glaswegan. I don't think he told me - long time ago. So I'm guessing.

Of course, if he had told me, I probably wouldn't have understood him:D

Irn-bru Mar 23rd 2007 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4549635)
Oh yes, the in-laws-to-be are fun on the phone sometimes.

I have to make a conscious effort to talk slower to Americans so they understand me. We talk very fast :D

You probably think they like you, when really they are insulting you ;) :D

Tracym Mar 23rd 2007 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4549649)
I have to make a conscious effort to talk slower to Americans so they understand me. We talk very fast :D

You probably think they like you, when really they are insulting you ;) :D

ROFL well you don't want to know why my then b/f was saying to annoying teenage girls in French. :D And it sounded lovely.

I'm told I talk fast lol. I don't think my Keith talks particularly fast, he has a nice soft voice and accent.

To my surprise, apparently his parents like me and approve. I thought they'd hate him coming over. So I don't THINK they're insulting me, but....;)

Irn-bru Mar 23rd 2007 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4549664)
ROFL well you don't want to know why my then b/f was saying to annoying teenage girls in French. :D And it sounded lovely.

I'm told I talk fast lol. I don't think my Keith talks particularly fast, he has a nice soft voice and accent.

To my surprise, apparently his parents like me and approve. I thought they'd hate him coming over. So I don't THINK they're insulting me, but....;)

Nah they love you :)

Of course it has nothing to do with the Scottish scrooge mentality of having a free place to stay on holiday ;) :D

Silly Sod Mar 23rd 2007 1:22 am

zat rrright pally (hic)