Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Britax Car Seats

Britax Car Seats

Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of
Default Britax Car Seats

If anyone can help me with this, I'll send you as much Karma as I can. (Generous, I know.)

I live in England, and I'm interested in this American car seat product. I called Britax to see if there were any UK equivalent models to the American ones so the stroller would fit, and they said no.

Once a year the kid and I are going to be schlepping to and fro across the pond and owning this contraption would be worth it's weight in valium.

My questions:

Has anyone had any problems using an American made car seat in England?
Does anyone here own this stroller thingy, especially with a UK model seat?

Chin chin!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Britax Car Seats

Originally Posted by commoner
If anyone can help me with this, I'll send you as much Karma as I can. (Generous, I know.)

I live in England, and I'm interested in this American car seat product. I called Britax to see if there were any UK equivalent models to the American ones so the stroller would fit, and they said no.

Once a year the kid and I are going to be schlepping to and fro across the pond and owning this contraption would be worth it's weight in valium.

My questions:

Does anyone here own this stroller thingy, especially with a UK model seat?

Chin chin!
Try asking in the forums here:

http://www.ukyankee.com

Someone is bound to know
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Britax Car Seats

This looks like a neat attachment.

Have bought over a Britax Marathon to the UK and found no problem putting it in different cars belonging to different relations in the UK - used seat belt attachment, as LATCH afaik is a US-only standard.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We had a Britax when we moved over here a few years ago - would have loved the little wheel jobby when we had to lug it through airports.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

We've always used US car seats in the UK and had no problem at all.

Also, if you're doing the "hoping across the pond" thing often, then you might look at which carseats are FAA approved so your little one can sit in the carseat during the flight. Sounds silly I know, but having a 2 year old in their comfort zone in the carseat they know, versus sitting in an aircarft seat on their own...there's no competition!!

Also, there's the whole safety thing ..(this from the FAA website)

Child Restraint System (CRS)

Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in an approved child restraint system (CRS), not on your lap?

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Check out this link...
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
We've always used US car seats in the UK and had no problem at all.

Also, if you're doing the "hoping across the pond" thing often, then you might look at which carseats are FAA approved so your little one can sit in the carseat during the flight. Sounds silly I know, but having a 2 year old in their comfort zone in the carseat they know, versus sitting in an aircarft seat on their own...there's no competition!!

Also, there's the whole safety thing ..(this from the FAA website)

Child Restraint System (CRS)

Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in an approved child restraint system (CRS), not on your lap?

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Check out this link...
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/
Make sure that you can read the label on the seat, we had a problem once with the airline the label was worn and there was a big debate as to was it ok or not.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lolly
Make sure that you can read the label on the seat, we had a problem once with the airline the label was worn and there was a big debate as to was it ok or not.
Most airlines (decent one's at least) would have a list of approved seats so get them to check that list if the label is worn.

Also, some airlines publish the list on their websites...or at least their customer services department should be able to advise you.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Do check your insurance policy, it might be invalidated by using a "foreign" or "non-compliant" seat. I had a long email correspondence with Britax when I was thinking about using a UK seat here in Canada, and they pointed that out to me.

That contraption looks great though, doesn't it!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:48 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar problem, although the label was very clear, the aircrew refused to let us use it, which is (apparently) their prerogative, regardless of what the FAA/CAA say!! See reply #18 on http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=european

Never seen that gadget, but it looks good!! Will have to check it out.

We've been through the UK/US model discussion with Britax as well. We have used UK models in the US, and US models in the UK without problems, although as someone else mentioned, the US models have LATCH attachments and UK cars have a different system - can't remember the name. One thing that Britax did mention was that because UK models aren't rates in the US and vice versa, if we were unlucky enough to have a crash using the "wrong" model, we may find our insurance would be invalidated and we may actually be prosecuted for failure to adequately restrain an infant!!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We had a similar problem, although the label was very clear, the aircrew refused to let us use it, which is (apparently) their prerogative, regardless of what the FAA/CAA say!! See reply #18 on http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=european
You were unlucky . European Aviation are a leasing company / charter outfit and although they were flying under the guise of BA, they are not bound by any of the BA policies and will use their own.

Didn't read the whole thread so that might have been said already.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at the link.... that would be a good idea! I have travelled to and fro using both a rear facing car seat (the kind with the handle over top - for babies) and the up right forward facing seat. They are a bit of a pain when your hauling kid/seat and hand luggage across an airport esp when there is only myself and daughter travelling.
Both of the car seats I used in the UK were bought in the US (graco) and both worked fine. With the car seat I used for Emily when she was a baby we bought an extra base and left it in England... made life a lot easier.

Ash
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Thanks to all for the fantastic ideas. Many of you have brought up possible problems I haven't even considered.

Up until our daughter is about 4-years-old, she's going to have her own seat on the plane. I'll email Delta and ask about their acceptable car seat list.

I have been wanting one of those strollers for months, but trying to make sure I'll be able to use it on a UK car seat has been challenging. The people at Britax UK weren't able to confirm if the bases of the car seats for the UK and US models were similar.

My grandfather is willing to buy the stroller for us, and he constantly reminds me he's not cheap. Asking him to buy the new car seat as well just may be taking the piss.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
This looks like a neat attachment.

Have bought over a Britax Marathon to the UK and found no problem putting it in different cars belonging to different relations in the UK - used seat belt attachment, as LATCH afaik is a US-only standard.
LATCH is not standard in the US only... it is also becoming standard in newer cars in the UK... only over there it is called ISOFIX. My dads 2004 Picasso has it and Emily's US car seat worked exactly the same way with it. Only difference I saw was that my dads rear middle seat did not have it only the 2 outer seats where as my 2004 car in the US has it available on all 3 rear seats.

I love the LATCH system makes life a lot easier.

Ash
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll second that! last time I flew over the UK (with North West) they checked the car seat and said it could only be used it it had written on there that it was suitable for aircraft use (which it was) it has something to do with when they are made the check in guy said.

Ash
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for the fantastic ideas. Many of you have brought up possible problems I haven't even considered.

Up until our daughter is about 4-years-old, she's going to have her own seat on the plane. I'll email Delta and ask about their acceptable car seat list.

I have been wanting one of those strollers for months, but trying to make sure I'll be able to use it on a UK car seat has been challenging. The people at Britax UK weren't able to confirm if the bases of the car seats for the UK and US models were similar.

My grandfather is willing to buy the stroller for us, and he constantly reminds me he's not cheap. Asking him to buy the new car seat as well just may be taking the piss.
I think they're totally different, my mum had a Britax seat for the grandkids in her car and its totally different to the Britax I have here, I have the Marathon here and I don't recall them having one so big back in the UK..
I know with BA, Britax is the only make they allow you to take on board..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.