Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

"Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

Old Dec 1st 2006, 5:23 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

Originally Posted by GaryK
I'm mildly curious: do you consider yourself to belonging to any continent in that case? I personally don't shy away from being called European, as I feel that title describes me much better than being an American, usually
Do you not call yourself British
I specify the difference to Americans as usually they are ignorant and don't know the difference between Europe and the UK
Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:53 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I specify the difference to Americans as usually they are ignorant and don't know the difference between Europe and the UK
I usually think "Ah bless 'em" when they make a silly little mistake about the geography of the British Isles, I quite often take the time to explain to them in a completely uncondescending way how the british isles are made up of those nice kilt wearing gentlemen from the north, those lovely ex Scottish migrants on the northern bit of that very pretty island, the charming fellows from the valleys and lastly us happy go lucky people form the big bit in the middle. I tell them how we all live as one nice big happy family on our pleasant little islands.

Have a fabulous day.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:28 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GaryK
I'm mildly curious: do you consider yourself to belonging to any continent in that case? I personally don't shy away from being called European, as I feel that title describes me much better than being an American, usually
European only insofar as that is the region where I am from.
Ever hear a septic refer to himself as a "North American"?

Culturally, we're not the same as continentals though, surely.
Now, if you say in comparison to Americans, well, I suppose you could argue that we are European in culture. Now we're splitting hairs......

Greasy ones if you are mediteranian.....

Last edited by gardnma; Dec 1st 2006 at 9:34 am.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 12:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
I usually think "Ah bless 'em" when they make a silly little mistake about the geography of the British Isles, I quite often take the time to explain to them in a completely uncondescending way how the british isles are made up of those nice kilt wearing gentlemen from the north, those lovely ex Scottish migrants on the northern bit of that very pretty island, the charming fellows from the valleys and lastly us happy go lucky people form the big bit in the middle. I tell them how we all live as one nice big happy family on our pleasant little islands.

Have a fabulous day.
Have you had a personality transplant...you're being all errrr nice.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 2:17 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you had a personality transplant...you're being all errrr nice.
Perhaps he's responding to Ray's request for Christmas niceness (or he's drunk)
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:19 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Culturally, we're not the same as continentals though, surely.
Well, that depends on who is the yogurt.

And I am not Shirley.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Well, that depends on who is the yogurt.

And I am not Shirley.

Ouch.

Its like the old joke about California.....
Old Dec 1st 2006, 5:50 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Isn't Florida in Orlando?
Duh!!! It's in Disney World.

I may have said this before but humour me ...I'm soon to be old.
I was asked if we celebrated Christmas in Britain on the same day as it's celebrated here.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jumping doris
.......I was asked if we celebrated Christmas in Britain on the same day as it's celebrated here.
Do you also find when you hear comments like that sometimes you just mentally glaze over and other times you feel the burning desire to inspect the underneath of a moving train?
Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:21 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Do you also find when you hear comments like that sometimes you just mentally glaze over and other times you feel the burning desire to inspect the underneath of a moving train?
Initially I found it quite funny but now it really gets to me. I don't know lots of things about the US but I'm not that stupid.
I feel like giving them the opportunity to inspect the underneath of that train.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

Initially I found it quite funny but now it really gets to me. I don't know lots of things about the US but I'm not that stupid.
I feel like giving them the opportunity to inspect the underneath of that train.
The single thing which still amazes and infuriates me about our American cousins is their complete inability to see though a criticism to the irony or humour below.
Then there comes the inevitable reaction of being insulted or mystified by the comment.

Thats better, had to say that.
Having one of "those" days........

I thank you.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

No, but I know a few who I'd have liked to pushed off the platform.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 6:58 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Duh!!! It's in Disney World.

I was asked if we celebrated Christmas in Britain on the same day as it's celebrated here.
I've had looks of shock and incredulity - genuine ones - from Americans when I've had to politely point out that no, the rest of the world doesn't celebrate the Fourth of July. They just cannot fathom that one. I don't know if that's funny or pathetic.

And Rushman, what's got into you? You're being downright pleasant!
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Well, if people ask me where I'm from, I do say England or Britain instead of Europe, admittedly. In some instances I've found myself saying "In Europe we..." but whatever I finish that with, it ends up being a HUGE generalisation most of the time in any case...

Though: if you look at the top line of your passport's cover, it does mention the E-word
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 2:52 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been asked that but it kind of makes sense - some countries do celebrate more on different days eg Chistmas Eve or Epiphany.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.