Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

"Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:55 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

Originally Posted by britvic
I've got a big world map on my bathroom wall, something to look at in it Anyway I had a job to find that, what with Daddy all over the world I wanted our Son to see where his Daddy was, I could not believe that I could not find such a thing in our Base shop's "NEX" got it in Barns & Noble in the end.
Do many ships sail to Arkansas?
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britvic
I've got a big world map on my bathroom wall, something to look at in it Anyway I had a job to find that, what with Daddy all over the world I wanted our Son to see where his Daddy was, I could not believe that I could not find such a thing in our Base shop's "NEX" got it in Barns & Noble in the end.
My kids have a map of the Moon and some plastic planets hanging from their ceiling in case they want to know where their Daddy's mind is today.....
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
If a redneck sets his mind to it...........
Old Dec 4th 2006, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
LOL shut up you, I was just talking about the world maybe wrong post to answer to, but you get my drift
Old Dec 4th 2006, 8:29 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moving?
Look at the news... I know most Americans who have lived outside have a different view of their country when they see news outside - because they can't get that news at home. They all think news isn't international in the U.S. - unless it affects the U.S. Well, of course there is Around the World in 80 seconds on Fox I know a guy who has been there for about 15 years - not from a European country - and he says the only way to get news from his home is to listen to BBC World.
This is precisely the sort of stupidity that I am talking about. You obviously don't know a damn thing about the US media, but that surely doesn't spare you from having an opinion about it and spouting that opinion as if it was fact.

I gather that you've never read (or perhaps heard of) the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, PBS, NPR, The Atlantic, Harper's, The Nation or The New Republic, to name just a few sources. Compare that to the UK, where the best selling newspaper is not The Times or The Independent, nor the Grauniad or Torygraph, but yes, you guessed it, The Sun. (Then again, I suppose that I could read the Sun online to boost my international credentials.)

I can only presume that if you plan on relocating here, it won't be on an academic scholarship.

But then I found the whole "it's good enough for us, it's good enough for the rest of the world" attitude..
I agree, you should expect your employer to display a bit of international market savvy and cultural sensitivity. Next time you're at the office, you could provide some leadership by asking your customers if they'd like chips, instead of fries.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:08 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

I gather that you've never read (or perhaps heard of) the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, PBS, NPR, The Atlantic, Harper's, The Nation or The New Republic, to name just a few sources. Compare that to the UK, where the best selling newspaper is not The Times or The Independent, nor the Grauniad or Torygraph, but yes, you guessed it, The Sun. (Then again, I suppose that I could read the Sun online to boost my international credentials.)
Yes all widely read sources here in Spokane I often catch my colleagues thumbing through the Wall Street Journal and the New york times. The only newspaper available is the spokesman review- heavily republican. Are you back east or something?? because when you generalise about America it's not the America I know.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
This is precisely the sort of stupidity that I am talking about. You obviously don't know a damn thing about the US media, but that surely doesn't spare you from having an opinion about it and spouting that opinion as if it was fact.
So you think I've probably never been there or experienced it?! That's where you're wrong! You're the type of person I'm talking about! I'm not talking from having never been there... I'm talking from spending a lot of time there, weeks and months at a time. What paper do I usually get given at hotels? USA Today... international NOT! Shouldn't you be given one of the more international papers?! No, because Americans on the whole don't give a .... while they think they're secure in their own little hyped up, brainwashed world.

I gather that you've never read (or perhaps heard of) the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, PBS, NPR, The Atlantic, Harper's, The Nation or The New Republic, to name just a few sources.
No. What are they?

And while you're answering, tell me why CNN comes in an "American" flavour and an "International" flavour?

And tell me why, as I said before, many septics say international news just isn't so international (and I'm talking about TV more which Americans sit on their fat behinds and watch more than read papers)... And the people who watch BBC World because they can't get the news there?

Compare that to the UK, where the best selling newspaper is not The Times or The Independent, nor the Grauniad or Torygraph, but yes, you guessed it, The Sun. (Then again, I suppose that I could read the Sun online to boost my international credentials.)
I agree. You probably could learn a lot from the Sun

I agree, you should expect your employer to display a bit of international market savvy and cultural sensitivity. Next time you're at the office, you could provide some leadership by asking your customers if they'd like chips, instead of fries.
Will do Thanks for helping invent junk food so I can have a job And take an umbrella with you when you go to work coz after I've eaten my McDs and flush the toilet it might just come down the pipes onto your head... And watch out for the rats too
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:31 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

USA Today... international NOT! Shouldn't you be given one of the more international papers?! No, because Americans on the whole don't give a .... while they think they're secure in their own little hyped up, brainwashed world.
Again, you betray your ignorance. About the only place that you see USA Today in circulation is at hotels and rental car counters, few people actually pay for it (aside from the $0.99 fee that is discreetly tacked onto the hotel bill.)

It's funny how you go on about FOX News, when hardly anyone actually watches it. The O'Reilly Factor, one of FOX's top rated programs, has about 2 million viewers per night...in a country with 300 million people. Your typical evening network news broadcast (ABC, CBS, NBC) each get 4-5 times more viewers that that. I'm sure that you didn't see that in the News of the World.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute

Again, you betray your ignorance. About the only place that you see USA Today in circulation is at hotels and rental car counters, few people actually pay for it (aside from the $0.99 fee that is discreetly tacked onto the hotel bill.)
Yeah? Add to that planes too. And so why do hotels etc give you USA Today? Because if you're American they think that's the only thing you're interested in. They should really allow for foreign visitors who really couldn't care less about USA Today.

It's funny how you go on about FOX News, when hardly anyone actually watches it.
Maybe, but often it's been the only 24 hour news channel in hotel rooms... maybe the manager is Republican! Even in one place I stayed for a while (not a hotel), the only 24 hour news was Fox.

...in a country with 300 million people.
Well, at least you're not one of those who think your population is a billion

Your typical evening network news broadcast (ABC, CBS, NBC) each get 4-5 times more viewers that that.
Maybe... for evening news...

I'm sure that you didn't see that in the News of the World.
I don't read any tabloid press! *sigh* and I thought you knew me so well... You see, you didn't really have to start getting all hyper American patriotic on me because I wasn't disagreeing with everything you had said before. But now, you have shown yourself to me to be the stereotypical American that I try to avoid which I'm sure will please you - it does me I'm talking from my experience. Not from hear say. As I've said, there are parts of the US that I like and enjoy. You are not one of them!
Old Dec 4th 2006, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

It's funny how you go on about FOX News, when hardly anyone actually watches it. The O'Reilly Factor, one of FOX's top rated programs, has about 2 million viewers per night...in a country with 300 million people. Your typical evening network news broadcast (ABC, CBS, NBC) each get 4-5 times more viewers that that. I'm sure that you didn't see that in the News of the World.
....and because I don't harbour any hard feelings...

just for RoadWarriorFromLP :

Happy Christmas and a Wonderful 2007

...oh, alright... and that's for the rest of you too

Last edited by Moving?; Dec 4th 2006 at 10:10 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
The basis for the UK/US "Special Relationship" is merely the passing of secret information on the Nuclear Developments of both countries. But people have taken the relationship to be much more, including cultural and other ties.
And the US has this relationship with other nations besides Britain. There is an argument to be made about the impact on the US/UK in terms of shared culture influencing foreign policy, but it does not stand up to rigorous inquiry.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:29 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm not surpised at some of the survey results; ask me, in the street, where Arkansas is on a map of the US states and I'd probably only be able to give you an approximation.
Well, I know where Arkansas is because I live here, but before I lived in the US, I could barely name about 10 states. Even now, if you gave me a map of the US with the state names removed, I'd probably only get about half of them right.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guys, lets try to be more civil. Every country has its positives and
negatives. RoadWarriorLP, these guys are primarily just pulling your leg
to get you all worked up. They mean it as good fun. It is just a way to
blow off some steam and quell some homesickness. Learn to go with the
flow and do not get so easily offended. We are all one big happy family.

RUSHMAN!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!
(your old self, not the new fake)
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
.................. We are all one big happy family.

Hippy.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
Ok guys, lets try to be more civil. Every country has its positives and
negatives. RoadWarriorLP, these guys are primarily just pulling your leg
to get you all worked up. They mean it as good fun. It is just a way to
blow off some steam and quell some homesickness. Learn to go with the
flow and do not get so easily offended. We are all one big happy family.

RUSHMAN!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!
(your old self, not the new fake)

You do realise you're giving someone advice who's been a member 13 times longer than you have?

RoadWarrior is a very kind and helpful guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.