Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Britain Bans Junk Food in Schools.

Britain Bans Junk Food in Schools.

Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:38 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Britain Bans Junk Food in Schools.

Foods high in fat, salt or sugar are to be banned from meals and vending machines in English schools.
I think this is fantastic. Did you watch the documentary "Supersize Me" ? Where Morgan Spurlock goes into a high school kitchen, and see the chef's main tool is a box cutter? Then goes to a school for 'kids with probelms' and they're fed a diet of natural, fresh food and are less violent, calmer and more receptive in general.
I'm not a parent but have taught in a high school, and kids on sugar highs or lows = :scared:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4287712.stm

Would you welcome this kind of thing happening here?
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain Bans Junk Food in Schools.

I don't have any experience of kids in schools... but out two are a pain if they get their hands on Coke, chocolate, orange juice... its like speed.. only lasts longer.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

can only be a good thing...the missus worked at a pre-school while I was here before we moved to this place...and the sugar and junk food that the other teacher fed the kids had quite an effect on the little shites...
Old Sep 30th 2005, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Ours are banned Coke, gatorade, American (high in fructose) candy, and all the other bollox that American kids are fed daily.

Its great to see British schools actively trying to get kids more healthy. I guess theres very little chance of that happening here.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:46 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sarah
Foods high in fat, salt or sugar are to be banned from meals and vending machines in English schools.
I think this is fantastic. Did you watch the documentary "Supersize Me" ? Where Morgan Spurlock goes into a high school kitchen, and see the chef's main tool is a box cutter? Then goes to a school for 'kids with probelms' and they're fed a diet of natural, fresh food and are less violent, calmer and more receptive in general.
I'm not a parent but have taught in a high school, and kids on sugar highs or lows = :scared:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/4287712.stm

Would you welcome this kind of thing happening here?
I wonder if this is because of Jamie Oliver's tv show, "School Dinners". he goes around Greenwich, changing school dinner menus in the borough's schools. He said he hoped it would be taken on nationwide.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid at school I remember going into the dining area which was overlooked by the kitchens and seeing loads of fat dinner ladies cooking us horrible healthy stuff like cabbage and swede...yuk!!! God how lucky we were.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:26 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
When I was a kid at school I remember going into the dining area which was overlooked by the kitchens and seeing loads of fat dinner ladies cooking us horrible healthy stuff like cabbage and swede...yuk!!! God how lucky we were.
When I was a kid the cooks would make us potato pie, hot pot and soemtimes strawberry or raspberry yoghurt from scratch it was bloody lovely. When I got to High School though, the dinners were chips, beans, pasties, gravy, sausages, mushy peas and not much else.
Oh and potato waffles, remember those? yuk.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

WHAT!!!!!! No more jam roly poly and custard, no more semolina (frogs spawn), no more sausage pie, cabbage, mash and gravy and don't say there's an end to the mecca of school dinners.......chocolate sponge with chocolate custard!!!!!!!! :scared:

*****ing Jamie Oliver.....bastard lisping, poncy scooter riding little tosser

I suppose all the kids are going to be forcefed crap like tofu, lettuce and alphalfa sprouts.

What's wrong with good old fashion meat and 2 veg? (oh you mucky minded people)

I can fondly recall leaving the school dinning room with a full and content belly, then joining my colleagues for a quick after dinner smoke behind the bike sheds. A bit like a juvenile, inner city gentlemans club with slightly less well tailored blazers. Only instead of fillet mignon we had toad in the hole. Instead of cuban thigh rolled cigars we had the pleasure of sharing one Embassy #6, that had been drawn so hard it's lighted end resembled one of those lipstick dogs dicks. 25 kids and 1 cigarette....ahh those were the days.

Can't stand that Jamie Oliver, all "Pukka", "sorted", "Blindin'"......he ain't even a Londoner he's a *****in Essex boy.

LEAVE SCHOOL DINNERS ALONE!!!!!

Don' trust healthy looking skinny people:
Blunt..............................=SPY
Philby.............................=SPY
Blair ..............................=TWAT (and possibly a SPY)

Fat people fed on good old school dinners:
Churchill.........................=Greatest Britain EVER (allegedly)
Johnny Vegas................. =Done ***** all but he is funny
Peter kay........................=See "Johnny Vegas"

The defence rests!!!! (OK its weak case but I'm working pro bono)
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
WHAT!!!!!! No more jam roly poly and custard, no more semolina (frogs spawn), no more sausage pie, cabbage, mash and gravy and don't say there's an end to the mecca of school dinners.......chocolate sponge with chocolate custard!!!!!!!! :scared:

just like to say semolina and frog spawn (tapioca) are 2 different things

I love frog spawn but detest semolina :scared:
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:32 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sarah
Oh and potato waffles, remember those? yuk.
Waffly versatile, though.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

*****ing Jamie Oliver.....bastard lisping, poncy scooter riding little tosser

I suppose all the kids are going to be forcefed crap like tofu, lettuce and alphalfa sprouts.

What's wrong with good old fashion meat and 2 veg? (oh you mucky minded people)

I can fondly recall leaving the school dinning room with a full and content belly, then joining my colleagues for a quick after dinner smoke behind the bike sheds. A bit like a juvenile, inner city gentlemans club with slightly less well tailored blazers. Only instead of fillet mignon we had toad in the hole. Instead of cuban thigh rolled cigars we had the pleasure of sharing one Embassy #6, that had been drawn so hard it's lighted end resembled one of those lipstick dogs dicks. 25 kids and 1 cigarette....ahh those were the days.

Can't stand that Jamie Oliver, all "Pukka", "sorted", "Blindin'"......he ain't even a Londoner he's a *****in Essex boy.

LEAVE SCHOOL DINNERS ALONE!!!!!

Don' trust healthy looking skinny people:
Blunt..............................=SPY
Philby.............................=SPY
Blair ..............................=TWAT (and possibly a SPY)

Fat people fed on good old school dinners:
Churchill.........................=Greatest Britain EVER (allegedly)
Johnny Vegas................. =Done ***** all but he is funny
Peter kay........................=See "Johnny Vegas"

The defence rests!!!! (OK its weak case but I'm working pro bono)

Actually I think its more a case of banning Fizzy pop, Pizzas, burgers and chips in favour of pie and veg.

(PS Why are you working for the lead singer of an Irish 80's pop/rock band?)

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Sep 30th 2005 at 11:54 am.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
just like to say semolina and frog spawn (tapioca) are 2 different things

I love frog spawn but detest semolina :scared:
I have to say you are dead right, it's tapioca but dead wrong not to hold a soft spot in your heart for semolina!!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Actually I think its more a case of banning Fizzy pop, Pizzas, burgers and chips in favour of pie and veg.

(PS Why are you working for the lead singer of an Irish 80's pop/rock band?)
We're planning to assinate that twat Jamie "pukka" "sorted" Oliver, Edge just wanted to give Gordon Ramsey a slap for being too Lairy!!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

We're planning to assinate that twat Jamie "pukka" "sorted" Oliver, Edge just wanted to give Gordon Ramsey a slap for being too Lairy!!
Assinate? I didnt know he was gay? :scared:

I can see the edge slamming him with his axe as he runs off a smokin' solo
Old Sep 30th 2005, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Assinate? I didnt know he was gay? :scared:

I can see the edge slamming him with his axe as he runs off a smokin' solo
I'm glad I can't see that...oh wait....I can now....thanks for the visual!!! NOT!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.