British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Brit Refused Entry For Trying To Work on ESTA. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/brit-refused-entry-trying-work-esta-931477/)

Guindalf Mar 2nd 2020 4:13 pm

Brit Refused Entry For Trying To Work on ESTA.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/11...birthday-visa/

Long story short, she arrived in Austin, TX using ESTA when she was going to 'work' on a farm. Although she wasn't getting paid in cash, she was getting room and board, ans as we see all to often, it's working and not allowed.

As for the claims of how she was treated, it sounds like it was exaggerated for effect to me. IMO, she didn't just 'fill out the wrong form', she failed to find out what was needed before traveling. It reads like she may even have known she was doing wrong but hoped they'd just skip it and let her in anyway!

'She had planned to go on the 'cowboy vacation' at Eagle Pass with her ex-boyfriend, getting free food and accommodation in exchange for helping out with the animals at the ranch, before traveling around the States.'

materialcontroller Mar 2nd 2020 4:28 pm

Re: Brit Refused Entry For Trying To Work on ESTA.

Stupid is as stupid does. :sneaky:

TexanScot Mar 2nd 2020 4:39 pm

https://www.workaway.info/en/info/faq

"We are not able to arrange visas. We just post the listings. Please remember it is your responsibility to obtain the correct visa for any country you intend visiting."

Pulaski Mar 2nd 2020 5:13 pm

There are more holes in that story than in a piece of Swiss cheese - almost everything in the story appears to be incomplete, misconstrued, misrepresented, inconsistent with the way the visa process works, or just plane wrong. I wouldn't expect much more from an article in The Sun, but to be so comprehensively wrong should be embarrassing.

That said, I will just pick on one thing quote "...it became obvious that her volunteer stay would be classed as work, but she wasn’t given a chance to rectify her mistake." .... Under US visa regs, there is no mechanism for her to "rectify her mistake", if there was a visa that would have applied in the scenario as described (which I am doubtful of), it wasn't something that could have been rectified after she had already arrived in the US and was trying to clear immigration.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 2nd 2020 5:49 pm

Cute

Actually the bit in pink is not too bad, shame they did not find someone who knew about the subject to error check it.

neill Mar 2nd 2020 6:05 pm

This is one of those articles that remind me that most Brits don't treat entering America with the same caution as they would say, Indonesia or Russia. The writer of the article obviously has no understanding either. Perhaps it's time that airlines ask you before you board a plane to the US: "What is the purpose of your trip?"

Guindalf Mar 2nd 2020 6:14 pm

It's not up to the airline to police who gets to fly and who doesn't. That's why CBP exists and you can't expect them to be at the source of every flight into the US!

I agree that fact-checking seems to be missing. I particularly laughed at the use of the term 'ESTA visa'! However, in their defense (if there is one) is that it's hard to know every little intricacy about every subject, although they should at least error-check the important ones!

Pulaski Mar 2nd 2020 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12814894)
Cute ....

I thought so too. :o

....Actually the bit in pink is not too bad, ....
The bit that The Sun obviously lifted directly from somewhere else. :rofl:

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 2nd 2020 9:59 pm

Seems she is currently available.

zzrmark Mar 2nd 2020 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12815043)
Seems she is currently available.

Not in the US though, you might want to find a more local version to ogle and probably a slightly less fussier version. Seems she was served their finest version of breakfast and dissed the bacon, the eggs, the grits and what was presumably apple sauce. :lol:

steph0scope Mar 3rd 2020 12:02 am

And it wouldn't have been the same flight attendants going back on the same flight the very next day. They stay on the ground longer than that.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 3rd 2020 1:04 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12815070)
Not in the US though, you might want to find a more local version to ogle and probably a slightly less fussier version. Seems she was served their finest version of breakfast and dissed the bacon, the eggs, the grits and what was presumably apple sauce. :lol:

Well the report says she is a vegetarian, not a vegan, Can they not makes an exception for a bacon sandwich?

catweazle Mar 8th 2020 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12814867)
There are more holes in that story than in a piece of Swiss cheese - almost everything in the story appears to be incomplete, misconstrued, misrepresented, inconsistent with the way the visa process works, or just plane wrong. I wouldn't expect much more from an article in The Sun, but to be so comprehensively wrong should be embarrassing.

Every newspaper article about my "area of expertise" I've read makes me cringe. It's not just the yellow press - the quality papers can be just as helpless.

Have you heard about "Gell-Mann amnesia" ?

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”

catweazle Mar 8th 2020 2:53 pm

For added amusement, try this article from a "quality" newspaper, The Guardian. It takes an undoubtedly true statement ("immigration surveillance deters illegals from seeking medical care") and mixes it with so many half truths, incorrect assumptions and deliberate misrepresentations, it makes one's head spin.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ed-coronavirus

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 8th 2020 2:53 pm

Hmm, I would assume the same level of accuracy as they display on subjects I know something about.

The problem the MSM have and have yet to address is that it is so easy now to check a story and see how they have played it to suit their agenda.