Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit Music on the satellite radio

Brit Music on the satellite radio

Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Brit Music on the satellite radio

Hi Peeps

Just scrolling through our XM satellite radio channels (got bored with the BBC World Service) and have just discovered a channel I hadn't bothered listening to before.....heard English voices and then some current British and world music - and it's really good stuff. They are also having interviews with Brit musicians.

Just checked the XM channel listings and here's the info (It's the 'U-Pop' channel #29) on two pages:

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/c...page.jsp?ch=29

You can listen to it live - see the box on the left and see the daily show listings.

I'm so pleased I've found this!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:40 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit Music on the satellite radio

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Hi Peeps

Just scrolling through our XM satellite radio channels (got bored with the BBC World Service) and have just discovered a channel I hadn't bothered listening to before.....heard English voices and then some current British and world music - and it's really good stuff. They are also having interviews with Brit musicians.

Just checked the XM channel listings and here's the info (It's the 'U-Pop' channel #29) on two pages:

You can listen to it live - see the box on the left and see the daily show listings.

Depends on what time of day you are listening to it as it calls itself "from the world's pop charts". But I'll keep tuning in to see if there is a UK marathon. I've heard indian and what else on there - lucky you!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Hey - need to do my weekly Sirius plug and mention the "other" sat provider gives you BBC Radio 1 24 hours a day...plus BBC WS, Premiership footie during the season and 6-0-6...

Must admit a year or so back was thinking of switching to XM, as the regular music streams have far too narrow a playlist on Sirius, plus Duran Duran and Kajagoogoo get categorized as "classic alternate"....but since R1 arrived I won't be going anywhere...
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:52 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peeps

Channel 824 on DirecTV
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:26 pm
medusas peligrosas

mozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond reputemozoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Channel 824 on DirecTV
Channel 611 on DishTV
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peeps

I used to have XM radio. Got rid of it when they started broadcasting on Direct TV (satellite TV). Also, I got DSL at home and I now listen to all BBC radio channels (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/i/) online. Listening to BBC radio Manchester right now! American radio sucks big time. WHY WHY WHY are they stuck in the 80's?? What did they play before the 80's? It's as though the last 20 odd years didn't happen musically. I live in Baltimore, a relatively big city, and the radio here is s***! I don't even listen to the radio in the car anymore. It's too dreadful. I used to miss English music, but now I listen to it all online.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 4:38 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
gives you BBC Radio 1 24 hours a day
thats a good enough reason not to buy it then
Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simongb
American radio sucks big time. WHY WHY WHY are they stuck in the 80's?? What did they play before the 80's?
Yeah - it amazes me how bad terrestial stations are. Probably ultimately down to Clear Channel domination.

Seems that on FM, you get 20 mins of ads per hour plus a playlist of 30 songs, and every station has *exactly* the same breakfast show format. You switch to AM and you get an identikit bunch of right-wing political nut jobs ranting on and on and on...and then there's the complete weirdness of Christian channels.

Thank god for NPR - one bastion of sanity on the spectrum, but outside of Morning Edition and All Things Considered, all I can get during weekdays is classical music, which isn't usually what I want to hear. Used to really miss not having a Radio 4 equivalent, but with sat rad I find there's enough equivalents.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Yeah - it amazes me how bad terrestial stations are. Probably ultimately down to Clear Channel domination.

Seems that on FM, you get 20 mins of ads per hour plus a playlist of 30 songs, and every station has *exactly* the same breakfast show format. You switch to AM and you get an identikit bunch of right-wing political nut jobs ranting on and on and on...and then there's the complete weirdness of Christian channels.

Thank god for NPR - one bastion of sanity on the spectrum, but outside of Morning Edition and All Things Considered, all I can get during weekdays is classical music, which isn't usually what I want to hear. Used to really miss not having a Radio 4 equivalent, but with sat rad I find there's enough equivalents.
In Maryland we have all day NPR programming. Lots of interesting talk shows (Diane Ream, Talk of the Nation, Fresh Air etc). It amazes me that in a nation that exports such vast quantities of pop culture to the rest of the world, all US radio stations can play is Air Supply, Phil Collins and Rod Stewart! It just puzzling. AM stations are just weird, you're right. I get most of my music online now.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 3:53 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peeps

I think I've found something new too;

http://www.xmradio.com/programming/c...age.jsp?ch=131
Old Jun 15th 2006, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

If you all moved to western MA (Springfield / Northampton area) and tuned to 100.9 WRNX you could listen to a British DJ doing the breakfast show every day.
John Allen has a real Derbyshire accent and opens with "Eyup" and closes with "Tatty bye then"
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
If you all moved to western MA (Springfield / Northampton area) and tuned to 100.9 WRNX you could listen to a British DJ doing the breakfast show every day.
John Allen has a real Derbyshire accent and opens with "Eyup" and closes with "Tatty bye then"

'Eyup' really irritates me for some reason.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:47 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Likewise - down here in East Tennessee, we havew a local radio show co-hosted by "The Redneck & The Redcoat"..... It's quite funny actually listening to these two and the differences in culture that crop up from time to time....
Old Jun 15th 2006, 4:51 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

There are a few internet radio stations with UK music. (I hope this isn't deemed blatant advertising) but I have a non-commercial royalty paying internet radio station that plays oldies from the UK and US (2NG - Two Nations Gold) www.2ngradio.com

XM channel 6 sometimes has a chart show with hits from the UK and US from a given year called "There and Here", sometimes I hear it on a Saturday night.