Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit Moments

Brit Moments

Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:04 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brit Moments

Is anyone else prone to the occasional "Brit Moment", a bit like a blonde moment but to with being British?

Every so often I find myself stood at the passenger side door with the key in my hand thinking "shit, I came to the wrong side, how do I get out of this without looking like a dork", of course no one else in the car park cares!

Or find myself thinking "urm chips" when someone mentions chips before thinking "damn they mean crisps"

These brit moments are few and far between but occasionally I still find myself sniggering when someone says "I worked out last night and now my fanny hurts!"

Patrick
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:12 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I asked my mother-in-law for a carrier bag this evening.

At a (thankfully deserted) traffic light making a right turn, I once pulled out onto the left hand side of the road, due to suddenly thinking I was driving in the UK. (Even though I've never drove in the UK)
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:14 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, been here almost 18 months and still occasionally try to get in the wrong side of the car. Also catch myself (as happened today at work) referring to pounds or quid instead of dollars. Can't bring myself to use "bucks" at all.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit Moments

Originally posted by Patrick
Is anyone else prone to the occasional "Brit Moment", a bit like a blonde moment but to with being British?

Every so often I find myself stood at the passenger side door with the key in my hand thinking "shit, I came to the wrong side, how do I get out of this without looking like a dork", of course no one else in the car park cares!

Or find myself thinking "urm chips" when someone mentions chips before thinking "damn they mean crisps"

These brit moments are few and far between but occasionally I still find myself sniggering when someone says "I worked out last night and now my fanny hurts!"

Patrick

My favourite one is saying that "I am pissed!" obviously in English English means that I am drunk.... but to many Americans (first encounter with an Englishman) this is a big deal...

"Why???, What happened??"

(Pissed being angry in the US of A)

The crisps-chips-fries thing is a classic!!!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:29 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if its the same in US, but cars here in Oz generally have the indicator and lights 'stick' on right hand side of the steering wheel with the windscreen wiper 'stick on the left. In the UK they are the opposite way around.

In moments of frustration at some idiot who has just cut me up and I go to flash my headlights I must look a right fool as I instead spray my windscreen with washer fluid.

Similarly when it begins to rain and I start indicating.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

also remember when on a 4 month exchange to a college in New Hampshire many years back and asking for a muffin for breakfast.

"English?" came the reply

"Yes, how can you tell?" was my response
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:32 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by CitySimon
My favourite one is saying that "I am pissed!" obviously in English English means that I am drunk.... but to many Americans (first encounter with an Englishman) this is a big deal...

"Why???, What happened??"

(Pissed being angry in the US of A)

The crisps-chips-fries thing is a classic!!!
I have always used it in both contexts.

Pissed as in drunk - or pissed off - pissed for short - being angry.

British English is contextual. Causes more problems for Americans than the coloqualisms imho. Americans tend to speak very literally by comparison with less complex linguistic structures.

You think that's bad try one of the various forms of Irish English...lol
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:34 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jayr
Don't know if its the same in US, but cars here in Oz generally have the indicator and lights 'stick' on right hand side of the steering wheel with the windscreen wiper 'stick on the left. In the UK they are the opposite way around.

In moments of frustration at some idiot who has just cut me up and I go to flash my headlights I must look a right fool as I instead spray my windscreen with washer fluid.

Similarly when it begins to rain and I start indicating.

Yes, Yes, Yes!

Drove me crackers that did!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:38 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I still keep using the word Bollocks....fortunately the American have no clue what it means...
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I have always used it in both contexts.

Pissed as in drunk - or pissed off - pissed for short - being angry.
I suppose that to be "Pissed off" speaks for itself!

British English is contextual. Causes more problems for Americans than the coloqualisms imho. Americans tend to speak very literally by comparison with less complex linguistic structures.
I completely agree with you, but did you swallow a dictionary today? No offense intended!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:42 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by CitySimon
I suppose that to be "Pissed off" speaks for itself!

I completely agree with you, but did you swallow a dictionary today? No offense intended!
Erm, I ate the dictionary when I was about eleven.

Been munching books ever since

No offense taken...lol
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by lairdside
Erm, I ate the dictionary when I was about eleven.

Been muching books ever since

No offense taken...lol
LOL
Old Mar 9th 2004, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
also remember when on a 4 month exchange to a college in New Hampshire many years back and asking for a muffin for breakfast.

"English?" came the reply

"Yes, how can you tell?" was my response
jayr, which college did you go to? I did an exchange in New Hampshire about 12 years ago.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 4:17 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by 1skydive
jayr, which college did you go to? I did an exchange in New Hampshire about 12 years ago.

In Sept -Dec 1989 I spent four months at New Hampshire College (pretty sure that was the name) just outside Manchester

Just checked, they are calling it Southern New Hampshire University now:
http://www.snhu.edu/index.html

Last edited by jayr; Mar 9th 2004 at 4:23 am.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:32 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a meeting the other day and one of the ladies introduced herself to me as Don, "that's an interesting name " I say, "is it an abbreviation of Donna?".

"No" she says and proceeds to spell it for me "D-A-W-N".

I give up! Where did the "W" go between her mouth and my ear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.