Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit looking to move to Atlanta, GA

Brit looking to move to Atlanta, GA

Old Oct 10th 2014, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

ross93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Brit looking to move to Atlanta, GA

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I am currently working in Atlanta, GA on a H2B visa which is due to expire in November at which point I must return to the UK, I shall then return in February again on a H2B visa.

I have a strong desire to move out to Atlanta as I love the city and I have also recently met my girlfriend which makes the desire to move all that more. I currently work as a soccer coach and I have my Bsc Sports Coaching degree. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the best way to:

1. Make the move out to the States permanently?
2. Find a full time job or a company which will be able to sponsor my visa as my current employer does not have any opportunities at present?

If anyone could provide any help I would really appreciate it.

Thank You
Old Oct 10th 2014, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brit looking to move to Atlanta, GA

If your GF is a USC then this thread should be in the Marriage section.

Otherwise find an Employer who will sponsor you for a full time position.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Otherwise find an Employer who will sponsor you for a full time position.
Which would probably be at a uni that takes the sport seriously, or if there's a local sports franchise that might.

Slim chances without already a leg in though I'd imagine.

Wedding bells as mentioned is probably the best option if the OH is a USC.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

I was about to suggest what Bob just said. The schools you need to focus on are Emory, Georgia Tech and UGA (is outside of the metro area but doable if you choose your location well). The jobs in athletics are not always visible so I suggest networking, LinkedIn is a good way of connecting. I would also suggest approaching relevant people and express your interest in working there. We don't have a local MLS team yet although I hear it's coming. Networking is your best bet.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 4:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnet36
...We don't have a local MLS team yet although I hear it's coming. Networking is your best bet.
What about lower league teams though?

There are loads of smaller, feeder leagues that are above state sized leagues, like USL and PDL leagues.

I've no idea how big they are down your way, but there's a bunch of leagues down my way.

When we went to see a few games for a couple of the Boston area teams and a couple in New Hampshire, it seemed nearly everyone was a import or other, all but one was a import for one of the teams. Though a chap was saying most were here on J1's as an exchange, from Brazil and a couple of African countries and also Jamaica I think it was, but there were also a bunch of Brits too. They weren't all J1's, the Brits weren't, but I didn't ask what they were on.

Still needed a leg into the organisation though, it seemed most of those either knew someone who had either done a season or two before, were part of a school coaching abroad or similar rather than cold calling.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Bob, I don't know of any lower league teams in the south. However, there are a number of smaller colleges that have soccer teams, some of which have players and coaches from overseas.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

There are loads of smaller, feeder leagues that are above state sized leagues, like USL and PDL leagues.

I've no idea how big they are down your way, but there's a bunch of leagues down ...
Still needed a leg into the organisation though, it seemed most of those either knew someone who had either done a season or two before, were part of a school coaching abroad or similar rather than cold calling.
There are a few lower leagues here, not sure about other areas but down my side they don't seem to change over coaches at all and I would imagine funds are limited for sponsoring. It's worth a try here are some links..
Employment - They have a ref position open currently.
Jobs : Atlanta Sport and Social Club

Last edited by Bnet36; Oct 12th 2014 at 8:59 pm. Reason: Typo