British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Brit living in nyc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/brit-living-nyc-844582/)

Chrisdc Oct 9th 2014 2:34 pm

Re: Brit living in nyc

Originally Posted by H Bomb (Post 11431490)
Did you feel you made true friends through this approach though, or just acquaintances? We have been here 10 weeks - I can tell you the name of loads of great friendly bartenders and some friendly people who inhabit those bars - but that is all! Maybe I need to give it more time and spend more time in those bars :)

Well, my oldest friend in the US is a girl who worked in a totally different department (and floor) in our office. I made some comment to her as I was passing her desk and we slipped really easily into an in-depth conversation. We're still great friends 13 years later. I realized from that experience how easy it is to get talking to Americans. I subsequently tried "chatting up" the locals in coffee bars and met a million people! People here seem very open - once you scratch the surface. I think it's a big part of why I decided to stay in the US.

My philosophy: People are the same everywhere, you just have to break the ice. In big cities the ice is thicker than in small towns. In the US it feels the ice is thinner than in the UK…. Our course everyone's experiences are different - just my perspective.

WriterChick Oct 9th 2014 5:30 pm

Oh, I totally agree... Americans are friendly. And it is genuine. Most are generally open to chat to a new person, no matter where that person is from.
Yes, you do have racism, or people in a bad mood... or whatever... but in general Americans are genuinely friendly people. It is a part of the culture.
I find the English, even in small towns, to be very... I don't know... Giving them the benefit of the doubt... Nervous? Extremely uncomfortable and therefore very unfriendly with people they don't know? Socially awkward?

Justabbi76 Dec 14th 2014 1:27 pm

Hi Jess, how are you getting on?,
I've been commuting for the last 18 months between here and London and finally made NYC home 6 weeks ago.
I was pretty lucky that I met people through my husband and I knew people here already but it can be pretty tough in a new place at first.
Have you got your card yet or still driving yourself stir crazy, are you in Manhattan?
Let me know if you're at a loose end

johnnybrown532 Dec 14th 2014 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jess2 (Post 11429707)
Hi all,

Having lived in NYC for a few months now, finding it hard and lonely. We came for husbands job I'm still waiting for my EAD . We are both mid -late 20s any idea how we can meet people in Similar situations?

Go the brit meetup there are probably several english type meetup groups going on or an english football bar probably several again.