Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit having a hard time with polarized political landscape here!

Wikiposts

Brit having a hard time with polarized political landscape here!

Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit having a hard time with polarized political landscape here!

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
But, dude! The cost of living out there compared to here in little ol' Louisville! We'd be living in a shack with what we could afford out there! Unless they utilize some kind of fuzzy math when doing home loans out there?
Yes, but wouldn't the salary be higher in a higher cost of living area? Might be worth looking into
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:34 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

But, dude! The cost of living out there compared to here in little ol' Louisville! We'd be living in a shack with what we could afford out there! Unless they utilize some kind of fuzzy math when doing home loans out there?
It all balances out.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:35 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Not sure what you mean by that. I wouldn't fret though.

Don't get depressed. Just get yourself off to a more liberal area. It really will make a big difference in your life.

Also, turn the politics off. Whether it's talk radio, cable news. So much of it is wharrrgarbl. Look at Ariana Huffington. During the Clinton years, she was a flag waving Repub. Now she's a Democrat.

I used to do a lot of talk radio and cable news. Both right and left. 'Stuff can really get you bent out of shape. Turn it off for a while and enjoy your life.
Hi Octang

That is probably some good advice for myself as I am quite the news and political junkie.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:41 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
Hi Octang

That is probably some good advice for myself as I am quite the news and political junkie.
Me too. But politics over here is tribal. In the UK, we tend to express our tribal affiliations through the medium of football.

The country has a lot of offer - still - and regardless of whichever self-serving assholes are in charge, don't let it affect your daily life. I have a friend who worked for Obama's campaign - and others - who literally had a mental breakdown.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Duuuuude. Wages are higher.. think about it, the minimum wage is $8.40. Of course you have to elbow all the hipsters out of your way for every barista job out there...

As far as a shack, well, I live in what used to be the po' part of the inner city.. very hip now. Our house is small by a lot of people's standards, but it's perfect for 2 (and the original owners raised 2 kids here) at 1250sf. The similar sized house across the street (not yet done up) is on the market for $250k but that might be a little ambitious. I think there are a lot of bargains out there at the moment, but I do wonder how people manage some of these house payments.

Adidas is adding 60 new jobs here this year.. Daimler NA just got a big ass Federal contract, the ship repair business is booming, we're building train cars for the whole country (light rail and streetcar stylin'), Boeing still has a parts design/build facility here. There really is a diversity of work. And, if you don't like the Portland house prices, you can live 10 miles away on the other side of the river in SW Washington and commute in like lots of folk do.
wweek.com is our 'alternative' weekly if OH wants a peek.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Duuuuude. Wages are higher.. think about it, the minimum wage is $8.40. Of course you have to elbow all the hipsters out of your way for every barista job out there...

As far as a shack, well, I live in what used to be the po' part of the inner city.. very hip now. Our house is small by a lot of people's standards, but it's perfect for 2 (and the original owners raised 2 kids here) at 1250sf. The similar sized house across the street (not yet done up) is on the market for $250k but that might be a little ambitious. I think there are a lot of bargains out there at the moment, but I do wonder how people manage some of these house payments.

Adidas is adding 60 new jobs here this year.. Daimler NA just got a big ass Federal contract, the ship repair business is booming, we're building train cars for the whole country (light rail and streetcar stylin'), Boeing still has a parts design/build facility here. There really is a diversity of work. And, if you don't like the Portland house prices, you can live 10 miles away on the other side of the river in SW Washington and commute in like lots of folk do.
wweek.com is our 'alternative' weekly if OH wants a peek.

Verrrryyy interesting. Will do some research..of course to compound the situation ya know I don't want to do engineering the rest of my life, so a move out there may not be as easy.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Feb 24th 2010 at 11:10 am.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:43 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Left - Right, Republican - Democrat, Liberal - Conservative, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.
Attached Thumbnails Brit having a hard time with polarized political landscape here!-federal_jack_1_8_inch_bleed_back.jpg  
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Eejits like Glenn Beck?

So I take it you've never actually listened to his show then. It's funny. I find that a lot. All my liberal friends rail against him... having never heard his show.
The guy's a smart cookie and deserves his success. Name me one thing he's been wrong about. Also, idolizes Orson Welles.

Don't watch the TV show. Actually listen to his show. It's hilarious.
Stewart and Colbert are hilarious, Beck is err ... psyco. You must watch his tv show, his white board is the strangest thing of all.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
Stewart and Colbert are hilarious, Beck is err ... psyco. You must watch his tv show, his white board is the strangest thing of all.
I went off Beck when he went all Christian Jihadist. That and him stitching up Medina 'cos of his hot man love for Perry.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I went off Beck when he went all Christian Jihadist. That and him stitching up Medina 'cos of his hot man love for Perry.
Did you see the one where Beck translated the wall art in Rockefeller center (circa. 1930s) that proved that the Rockefellers were commies?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
Did you see the one where Beck translated the wall art in Rockefeller center (circa. 1930s) that proved that the Rockefellers were commies?
Well, they were very cozy with the Jews, you know...
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Yes, but wouldn't the salary be higher in a higher cost of living area? Might be worth looking into
not by enough though usually...
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
See, that's depressing...even in a run down dead market, run down crap hole houses around my way still don't dip below $350K.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I don't discuss politics with anyone except my wife….
We have local elections here in Williamson county and I was excited to be able to vote for the first time. Even better we have a choice of 4 candidates. Great I think. Then I discover all 4 are f'ing republicans. All running on the same ticket of reducing big government influence, reducing taxes, reducing wasteful spending and boosting jobs. Not one of them enumerates how exactly they are going to square that circle. So I won't be voting and I have a sign on my door that says no door to door sales man - including politics and religion. Oh and I don't talk about those topics with colleagues and friends either. Conversations can be quite short and to the point at work. Also sports is a no-no as I have never given a fig about any sports, UK or US.

- Tim
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My personal experience.

Berkeley is probably the nearest to a new labour Islington experience if that is what you are looking for.

Despite Boulder's claim to fame there are more normal people than you might expect. However it has its moments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.