Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit greencard holder moving to Florida from California

Brit greencard holder moving to Florida from California

Old May 6th 2008, 1:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit greencard holder moving to Florida from California

Originally Posted by Dan725
You definitely don't want to be in Ocala then - very small town in the middle of nowhere. You wouldn't get an international feel at all.
But you have the Don Garlits museum ..and Silver Springs ...
Old May 6th 2008, 2:27 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by compqueenusa
My hubbie and I just got our greencards (after a very long 6 year wait on an L1/H1). I accepted an internal transfer with my employer (international company) and moved to Northern California (second choice after Florida at the time)....can't wait to move as it's not all it's cracked up to be here!

So we'll be able to move to Florida early in 2009 and although we've vacationed there a lot (usual spots - Orlando, Daytona, Tampa), I'm clueless on where to move to actually live......can anybody provide any tips at all please?

I'm in my 30s, he's in his 40s, both active, open minded, discovered we like Brits more than Californians , love the beach. I will need to continue working full-time and currently work in asset management for EDS, an IT company, so need an area with plenty of work.

We own our own home here and intend to list it for sale and meanwhile rent in Florida to be sure we end up in the right area - we envisage spending ideally up to $350,000 for a modern house with pool or with social facilites if part of a community. We love eating out, socializing and travelling. I would love to live in a area where there are lots of Brits who meet regularly and have an active social life. We don't have kids so don't want a "family" feel and are looking for low crime etc. I'm really wanting somewhere low key and relaxed and local bars/restaurants that we feel comfortable dropping in and calling our "local".

So, pretty tall order, but does anyone have any tips that might help please?!

Looking forward to hearing from you

thanks!
Julie
Plenty of jobs in Plano...
Old May 6th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But you have the Don Garlits museum ..and Silver Springs ...
Not to mention lots of horse breeding....
Old May 6th 2008, 2:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention lots of horse breeding....
And the Klan ...
Old May 6th 2008, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

compqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for all your replies.....very helpful, really!!! No really, this is exactly what I was hoping for....real info and not just "internet speak" on why everywhere is wonderful.

So it sounds like Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando are the fave at the mo. Only issue is I was hoping to move with EDS (and no, not to Plano thank you!) and I believe they have offices in Ocala, Jax & Tallahassee .... and now I see why! Sounds like the the one in Ocala must be very similar to the office I'm at in Chico (not far from Dead (sorry, Red) Bluff, home of the californian cowboy.

Initially I'll go where the work is, so if I get lucky and transfer, then it'll be near the office, otherwise if I end up looking outside EDS then it sounds like Tampa/Lakeland/Orlando are my current faves.

What are people's opinions about gated communities and closed communities with recreational facilities like sports/social clubs?
Old May 6th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for all your replies.....very helpful, really!!! No really, this is exactly what I was hoping for....real info and not just "internet speak" on why everywhere is wonderful.

So it sounds like Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando are the fave at the mo. Only issue is I was hoping to move with EDS (and no, not to Plano thank you!) and I believe they have offices in Ocala, Jax & Tallahassee .... and now I see why! Sounds like the the one in Ocala must be very similar to the office I'm at in Chico (not far from Dead (sorry, Red) Bluff, home of the californian cowboy.

Initially I'll go where the work is, so if I get lucky and transfer, then it'll be near the office, otherwise if I end up looking outside EDS then it sounds like Tampa/Lakeland/Orlando are my current faves.

What are people's opinions about gated communities and closed communities with recreational facilities like sports/social clubs?

Obviously, Florida is a big state and, although it sounds like you are erring to the North, don't forget you've got the Miami/Ft Lauderdale metro as well as a big modern international place.

Re the gated communities with facilities, I have mixed views. On the one hand, they are generally very very well kept, with plenty to do on your doorstep.

On the other, the HOA and CDD fees can be astronomical, and sometimes the restrictions and neighborhood fun police can be overbearing.

We currently don't live in such a community - there is a HOA, but we pay a pretty nominal $160 a year for general upkeep. But, perhaps in future we might consider a gated one......or not, depending on various factors at the time. Best thing to do is keep an open mind and have a really good look round at different types of community and weigh up the pros and cons for yourself - peoples opinions and priorities are so varied it's hard to give a blanket answer.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

compqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to allcompqueenusa is a name known to all

We currently pay $912 for our HOA here and although garbage & lawn maintenance is included, pretty much that's all it gets us. I don't mind the CC&Rs - we knew about them when we moved in and it helps (to a point) keep the dregs out of the area, but I've heard ridiculous amounts like $400 a month for gated communities?
Old May 6th 2008, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

forgot to ask.....what are CDD fees?
Old May 6th 2008, 4:43 pm
Ray

CDD fees are Community Development District fees imposed by developers to cover the cost of improvements (amenities) that would not be possible without raising home price unrealistically. Instead of building the cost of these features into the home price, they finance these amenities separately. Basically, they borrow money from the county and the residents pay it back over an extended period of time - usually 30 years.
Old May 6th 2008, 4:47 pm
Ray

We currently don't live in such a community - there is a HOA, but we pay a pretty nominal $160 a year for general upkeep. But, perhaps in future we might consider a gated one......or not, depending on various factors at the time. Best thing to do is keep an open mind and have a really good look round at different types of community and weigh up the pros and cons for yourself - peoples opinions and priorities are so varied it's hard to give a blanket answer.
We pay $130 a year ..and thats quite enough

Gated communities are a joke ....and certainly not secure
Old May 6th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
We pay $130 a year ..and thats quite enough

Gated communities are a joke ....and certainly not secure
I agree, the "security" shouldn't be a reason to move into one, but they do have their good points. Whether or not those points outweigh the costs is another matter for the individual to decide.
Old May 6th 2008, 6:38 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rule out Jacksonville just yet. Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach and Atlantic Beach may be the sort of place you'd like. Plenty of bars and restaurants in the area, plus a fairly straight forward journey to downtown (if that's where the office is?) Or go slightly more in land to find all the gated communities, like Queen's Harbor, Jax Golf and Country Club, San Pablo, Windsor Parke, nice places, though maybe a bit pricey. At least you don't have to worry about kids and schools, so that whole area between downtown and the beaches could be good for you.