British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Brit greencard holder moving to Florida from California (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/brit-greencard-holder-moving-florida-california-534508/)

compqueenusa May 5th 2008 8:55 pm

Brit greencard holder moving to Florida from California

My hubbie and I just got our greencards (after a very long 6 year wait on an L1/H1). I accepted an internal transfer with my employer (international company) and moved to Northern California (second choice after Florida at the time)....can't wait to move as it's not all it's cracked up to be here!

So we'll be able to move to Florida early in 2009 and although we've vacationed there a lot (usual spots - Orlando, Daytona, Tampa), I'm clueless on where to move to actually live......can anybody provide any tips at all please?

I'm in my 30s, he's in his 40s, both active, open minded, discovered we like Brits more than Californians ;) , love the beach. I will need to continue working full-time and currently work in asset management for EDS, an IT company, so need an area with plenty of work.

We own our own home here and intend to list it for sale and meanwhile rent in Florida to be sure we end up in the right area - we envisage spending ideally up to $350,000 for a modern house with pool or with social facilites if part of a community. We love eating out, socializing and travelling. I would love to live in a area where there are lots of Brits who meet regularly and have an active social life. We don't have kids so don't want a "family" feel and are looking for low crime etc. I'm really wanting somewhere low key and relaxed and local bars/restaurants that we feel comfortable dropping in and calling our "local".

So, pretty tall order, but does anyone have any tips that might help please?!

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

thanks!
Julie

anotherlimey May 5th 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Brit greencard holder moving to Florida from California

Originally Posted by compqueenusa (Post 6310741)
My hubbie and I just got our greencards (after a very long 6 year wait on an L1/H1). I accepted an internal transfer with my employer (international company) and moved to Northern California (second choice after Florida at the time)....can't wait to move as it's not all it's cracked up to be here!

So we'll be able to move to Florida early in 2009 and although we've vacationed there a lot (usual spots - Orlando, Daytona, Tampa), I'm clueless on where to move to actually live......can anybody provide any tips at all please?

I'm in my 30s, he's in his 40s, both active, open minded, discovered we like Brits more than Californians ;) , love the beach. I will need to continue working full-time and currently work in asset management for EDS, an IT company, so need an area with plenty of work.

We own our own home here and intend to list it for sale and meanwhile rent in Florida to be sure we end up in the right area - we envisage spending ideally up to $350,000 for a modern house with pool or with social facilites if part of a community. We love eating out, socializing and travelling. I would love to live in a area where there are lots of Brits who meet regularly and have an active social life. We don't have kids so don't want a "family" feel and are looking for low crime etc. I'm really wanting somewhere low key and relaxed and local bars/restaurants that we feel comfortable dropping in and calling our "local".

So, pretty tall order, but does anyone have any tips that might help please?!

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

thanks!
Julie

Anywhere in Florida? Two places I know are full of Brits - Orlando and Naples, and I'm sure there's plenty of others.

compqueenusa May 5th 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks for the response .....I've heard Naples is lovely but quite upscale (aka expensive) .....any truth in that?

anotherlimey May 5th 2008 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by compqueenusa (Post 6310770)
Thanks for the response .....I've heard Naples is lovely but quite upscale (aka expensive) .....any truth in that?

Apparently so, but I've only been to a hotel, the beach and a British pub there. :D

Ray May 5th 2008 9:16 pm

Picking Tampa as a centre point ...

going south hotter .. and more expensive ...

North ..cheaper and cooler ..

not too close to the coastline either ...

IMO ..gulf side is beter than Atlantic side ..with few expensive
exceptions.

compqueenusa May 5th 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks for that info .....any opinions on Jacksonville? I've heard it's very high crime & old neighborhoods, but there are a lot of jobs there it appears. Are there any nice areas around there?

and also Ocala - I've not heard anything good/bad but I know there are a lot of jobs there.

Ray May 5th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by compqueenusa (Post 6310851)
Thanks for that info .....any opinions on Jacksonville? I've heard it's very high crime & old neighborhoods, but there are a lot of jobs there it appears. Are there any nice areas around there?

and also Ocala - I've not heard anything good/bad but I know there are a lot of jobs there.

Don't know Jacksonville well but the crime statatistics are very high there

Ocala is much more country ...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Florida.html

Bob May 5th 2008 10:51 pm

welcome to BE....though have a search, there's been a few Florida threads in the past to get you started...

Big issues tend to be insurance, education if you have kids and cost of utilities...but why Florida? Would have thought there would be more job opps out your way?

compqueenusa May 5th 2008 11:15 pm

Hi Bob

Well we're not exactly enamoured with N Cal - at the risk of offending a few.....there are way too many rednecks and we just don't like the whole social thing here (what there is, that is). We didn't realize we'd be so cut off up here from the rest of Cal and now having been here for 6 years I just want out of the whole state.

Our 1st pref was always Florida, so now we're able to move wherever we want, that's what I'm aiming for. Whenever we've visited, it's always been such a relaxed atmosphere, very laid back and a much more international feel ... whereas where I currently am, most people haven't ever left town, let alone the state or country :)

So we're looking forward to escaping back into the real world, back into the modern day!

ladyofthelake May 6th 2008 12:03 am

Originally Posted by compqueenusa (Post 6310851)

Watching the news here, the worst crimes nearly always occur on either the west side or north side of the city. Living south of Jacksonville is nice and it's easy to commute into the city. My oh commutes roughly 25 miles from St Johns county into Jacksonville in 25 - 30 mins each day.

I heard there are other Brits here, but haven't met many. They're more concentrated in the Orlando area.

Folinskyinla May 6th 2008 12:42 am

Originally Posted by compqueenusa (Post 6311174)
Hi Bob

Well we're not exactly enamoured with N Cal - at the risk of offending a few.....there are way too many rednecks and we just don't like the whole social thing here (what there is, that is). We didn't realize we'd be so cut off up here from the rest of Cal and now having been here for 6 years I just want out of the whole state.

Our 1st pref was always Florida, so now we're able to move wherever we want, that's what I'm aiming for. Whenever we've visited, it's always been such a relaxed atmosphere, very laid back and a much more international feel ... whereas where I currently am, most people haven't ever left town, let alone the state or country :)

So we're looking forward to escaping back into the real world, back into the modern day!

Hi:

What is "very northern California"?? Eureka, Arcata, Crescent City or more like Red Bluff or Redding, or perhaps Alturas? I've visited the first five, but never have had occasion to visit metropolitan Alturas.

I don't take offense. I've always been amused that San Francisco is often called "Northern California."

anotherlimey May 6th 2008 1:21 am

Hi Bob

If you don't like rednecks, I would avoid North Florida. Try Tampa there's only one redneck there and we all know him.... :lol:

Dan725 May 6th 2008 12:13 pm

Hi Bob

You definitely don't want to be in Ocala then - very small town in the middle of nowhere. You wouldn't get an international feel at all.

If I was you I'd be looking at one of the bigger cities, or suburbs thereof, otherwise you'll end up exactly the same as where you are now.

Titchski May 6th 2008 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6310824)
IMO ..gulf side is beter than Atlantic side ..with few expensive
exceptions.

Good call Ray :thumbup:

Only problem with the Gulf Coast (and Florida as a whole right now) is the job market. It's very, very flat here right now.

Ray May 6th 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Titchski (Post 6313756)
Good call Ray :thumbup:

Only problem with the Gulf Coast (and Florida as a whole right now) is the job market. It's very, very flat here right now.

With Joycee sitting her ..still unemployed after a year ...
I know oh so well ....